Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2022, 07:27 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
name these parts!

Im working on a new to me RV and have two items I would like more information on. If someone could point me to some docs or tell me something about them I would appreciate it.

First item is the solar panel. There is a light on the drivers console that has a red led and it says solar. The reason I would like more information is I want to find out where this oem (I guess) old panel goes to determine if I could use the existing wiring for some updated panels.

Second appears to be a heater under the master, there are more of these heat exchanger boxes on this coach and I am guessing they are using water from the engine to generate heat? I see a fan control in the bay on the water control panel but have not been able to figure out where the valve control for on off is?

last but not least, there are two on buttons up in the electrical panel for switching on the hot water heater, both say hot water heater but there is no information on the difference between the two switches?

Thanks for any information!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar panel.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	368291   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	368292  

HomeyClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2022, 09:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your first picture I believe is a small solar panel that should’ve been on the roof. Even when new and installed correctly it’s not big enough to matter or really help recharge the batteries but it does give you a warm fuzzy knowing you have “solar power “

Your second picture is a heater matrix like your car has that uses hot engine coolant to warm the interior of your RV

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One of your Water heater switches turns on the 120 volt electric heating element to give you hot water the other switch turns on the gas fired portion of your water here.

Yes you can run both at the same time.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:06 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2 and the vintage Newmar family .

Factory solar panel ( 8 watts I believe ) wiring wouldn't handle more power , and is wired directly to the front Newmar fuse panel and protected by a 5 amp fuse. Behind the black plexiglass panel to the right of the throttle .

I don't have the added heater core but the fan control should be on the dash , my dash has the label but no switch . I have coolant flow shut offs for the dash heater core , aux heater heat maybe beside the transmission also .

The fan switch in the water bay is for the booster heater for the wet bay in cold weather , Booster fan is inline at the back wall of the basement, protected by an aluminum shield , switch on then booster fan runs with the furnace fan.

Two water heater switches , 120volt house type switch , and propane control 12 volt rocker switch with led in same panel .

Any appliance owners manual you need could be available at the site below .

www.myrvworks.com/manuals/

EDIT: A closer look ; your water shut off for the AUX heater core is right in the hose before the core
Old 06-14-2022, 10:17 PM   #5

BTW: I see you've listed Cummins engine in your signature line , I'll assume that means your coach is on a Spartan chassis , if so that info would make a good addition to your signature line to avoid any confusion .

Because back in the day Newmar used the Dutch Star name on Ford , Freightliner and Spartan chassis .
Old 06-15-2022, 05:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2 and the vintage Newmar family .

Factory solar panel ( 8 watts I believe ) wiring wouldn't handle more power , and is wired directly to the front Newmar fuse panel and protected by a 5 amp fuse. Behind the black plexiglass panel to the right of the throttle .

I don't have the added heater core but the fan control should be on the dash , my dash has the label but no switch . I have coolant flow shut offs for the dash heater core , aux heater heat maybe beside the transmission also .

The fan switch in the water bay is for the booster heater for the wet bay in cold weather , Booster fan is inline at the back wall of the basement, protected by an aluminum shield , switch on then booster fan runs with the furnace fan.

Two water heater switches , 120volt house type switch , and propane control 12 volt rocker switch with led in same panel .

Any appliance owners manual you need could be available at the site below .

www.myrvworks.com/manuals/

EDIT: A closer look ; your water shut off for the AUX heater core is right in the hose before the core

Thanks for the link
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:19 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thank you all for your replies

I will look today for the heater control switch and at the manuals.

I am scheduled for a new roof in a couple months and if I have new solar installed they will seal it and include it in their lifetime warranty but they wont install new for me.

So I have to find a solar panel solution and a path to feed the wires into the battery bank area in the back passenger side. I bought 4 replacement 6 volt batteries already and my engine batteries are new.

Changing fluids right now, and installing the fuel pump onto the engine. I need tires and a spare.

I hooked up water the first time a couple days ago, the hose connector on the panel was all plastic and the hose blew out. I replaced it with a brass one and to my suprise, no leaks and all faucets and toilet are working properly. The pump appears to work as well.

I still have butane left to turn on, and my refridge doesnt work on ac. I replaced the lower board with no luck and have the upper board on order. I rather gamble 200 bucks than come up with 1900 for a replacement. I dont have a leak so with the right electronics this unit should work. The heater element is good.

Slowly but surely, thanks again, and I do have a spartan chassis and will update my signature as soon as I can find it again.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:03 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slowly But surely you will get everything lined out.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:11 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
since I am asking, and some of you have great answers..one more

Is this supposed to have some kind of air filter in it? My hose was trashed so it is getting replaced but there is just what you see with a little metal screen over the intake. I am tempted to put some swamp pad material in the hole if there isnt a filter that belongs here.

I got a replacement hose from American Blower Supply INC. they rock!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	filter.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	368350  
Old 06-15-2022, 10:15 AM   #10

I've never had anything in mine , no water ingestion issues either .

BTW Thanks for up dating your signature line .

What make and model fridge is in your DS ?
Old 06-15-2022, 01:34 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

BTW Thanks for up dating your signature line .

What make and model fridge is in your DS ?

ndr 1062 . No leak, but wont work on ac and the heater is good at 40 ohms. I expected it to be a relay on the lower board but no luck. I have to top board en route and that better be the issue I still have not turned on the propane yet, trying to finish up the airdog install which is easy but like I just came back from exchanging the plug that goes into the lift pump cause someone decided two different sizes was better than one and I assumed. I'm in Texas and it has managed to get a little warmy outside so the work isn't going as fast as I had hoped. But I will get it all lined up. Im really excited to have this toy. Little old but by the time I am finished with it, it will fit my needs to a T. It has the drivers side door, a deep freeze, 7.5 onan, now it has a sleep number bed, pretty neat stuff!

Oh still need tires, in the front at least, they are 12 years old michellins that look ok but I don't want to blow the front of the unit off with a blow out so I will have to find some replacements.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lucky.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	368377  
Old 06-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
The first one is a very quaint little Solar Panel that probably on a good day put out 10 watts. No, none of the wireing would be usable for any type of useable solar. About the only thing you might be able to use it to help you route wires to a new solar controler. Those old solar panels basically put out between 12 and 15 volts at such a low current that even on a sunny day they needed no other control. They had a diode in them so they did not discharge the battery at night.

The second is nothing more than an old bus-type hot water heater. Hot water flows into a heater core, flows out and a fan blows across them. Newmar was kind of top of the line and did a lot of things to make their coaches "unique" It's just a matter of tracing the wires and hosed to find the source and outlet of those
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeyClown View Post
I am scheduled for a new roof in a couple months and if I have new solar installed they will seal it and include it in their lifetime warranty but they wont install new for me.
So I have to find a solar panel solution and a path to feed the wires into the battery bank area in the back passenger side. I bought 4 replacement 6 volt batteries already and my engine batteries are new.
I'd say have a look up , above the engine access door inside the rear cap . Solar panel cables from the roof to the battery bank , could be easily run down through the top of the rear cap , with easy access to the battery tray , from the ladder side.
Now getting wire into the coach for a controller/monitor , kind of depends on where you'd like to put it.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:25 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
woo hoo!! Refridge fixed

The upper refridge board got the unit working on electric. Wish I had bought that before I bought the lower but I guess I have a spare right?

Just something for the group to say thanks for your assistance, if your looking for a replacement floodlight search for PAR36. I bought a light off ebay for 32 which was half the price of amazon and other places but if you search for that number, which is a size, get 100 watts you will find your out a whole lot less money. You can also match it up to an LED that would be a nice upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestion on where to bring in the additional solar panels, I was really hoping someone would chime in on that.

Now that I have the refridge working, I want to convert it to the 12 volt compressor that uses the same electronics. I just have to water that money tree in the back yard so I can get me some more bills to pay for it.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate them all

Tags
parts