Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
JVR

Newmar Owners Club
We are scheduled for 1/4-1/7 service in Nappanee and we have been looking forward to having issues with our Essex fixed, but I am concerned about driving in the weather. We live in Central VA and have always traveled south, so the thought of sliding a 45 foot motor home is definitely scary.
Does anyone have experience driving in the snow or ice? Any advice & suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JVR
JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
JVR

Newmar Owners Club
We are scheduled for 1/4-1/7 service in Nappanee and we have been looking forward to having issues with our Essex fixed, but I am concerned about driving in the weather. We live in Central VA and have always traveled south, so the thought of sliding a 45 foot motor home is definitely scary.
Does anyone have experience driving in the snow or ice? Any advice & suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JVR
Old 12-28-2008, 05:26 AM   #3

As a fellow central VA'er who usually hits Nappanee on my out to CO in Jan I can relate!
We've got great interstates between here and there but I always start the route research (looking for a weather window) a week or so early. I expect to make the trip in 1 WalMart overnight but am prepared to handle multi-days (full water, fuel, food, etc). I use the long range weather charts at Weather Underground and scroll through the charts for the upcoming week monitoring where the snow/ice areas are. Never have a problem.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JVR,
I have never driven the route mentioned in your OP, in the winter. Like the RVDude posted watch the weather closely. I have driven through W. VA. on I64, 77 and 68, in the summer. I did not like any of these roads (constant up, down and around). I can't imagine anyone driving a coach, on these roads, in inclement weather.

Getting the weather window will be the baseline for your success. Consider adding several days to the trip. Even if you get to Newmar early, there should be a place for you to park and have hookups.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
JVR

Newmar Owners Club
RVDude,
Thanks for the heads up, let me make sure the weather underground charts I found are what you referred to:
http://www.wunderground.com/nd...op12&msg=6&region=us

I used the Forecast tab and selected the 12Hr Probability of Precip. option. and selecting next to see upcoming days. Is that the correct spot?
Thanks,
JVR
Old 12-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #6

When we pulled out last Saturday, we were all alone! Camp Newmar will have lots of room for you. We go to Nappanee a lot in the winter and I can tell you that I travel interstate to Indianapolis (all good roads) then I travel north on 31 to 6 and then east to Nappanee. 6 is a highly traveled road (side note, it is the longest highway in the country ) so they keep it as clean as possible in bad weather.

I have driven the coach in a few snow storms although I try not to. I was surprised how well they handle and I can only assume it is the heavy weight that helps you. If you leave a bit early you can watch the weather sites and just stop as a storm passes.

Enjoy your visit. If you have not been in the area before, ask Jeannie for the Heritage Trail CD and take a drive. It was a great day.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #7

You might consider I77 to U.S. 33. This is an excellent road that is mostly 4 lane. This will take you to Ft. Wayne, Indiana. At this point you can go North on I69 to Rt. 6 or continue on U.S. 33 to Rt. 19 North to Newmar.

These are all good roads and MUCH shorter driving distance.
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #8

I think you'll find that driving is much easier than stopping.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #9

JVR - click the Weather Underground link in my post above... It is set to go to to the "prevalent weather" maps and might be easier to see where the snow/ice areas actually are and are forecast to be....

http://www.weatherunderground.com/ndfdimage/viewimage
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
JVR

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the link, that is a simpler way to see the bad spots.
What part of VA are you from? We primarily live at SML and also have a house in Forest.
Thanks again,
JVR