Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #1

Narrowing choices MADP. Or LADP, any thoughts?

Well we are knee deep into researching what coach we plan to purchase. Still debating Entegra/Newmar but with recent sale of Jayco to Thor and supposed changes at Entegra I'm leaning away more and more each day. So to the two Newmars we've narrowed down to are Mountain Aire and London Aire. Floor plans are either 4519 or 4553. Looking for input from any owners of either coaches, besides the motor what are the major differences between the two model lines and is it worth the added $$$ to go London? We are looking 2016/2017 and even possible order to get color combo Honey likes, don't want to settle on what we believe to be our final Rv. We've had our current 5th wheel since new in 2006 so we don't trade every year or two as some lucky folks do. So we plan to get what we are happy with whether on the lot or ordered. Thanks for any input. Brad
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #2

I'm sure you have your reasons, but we went with a 4369 Dutch Star (very similar to the 4519). Couldn't see paying the additional $$$ for the extra 13 inches. We did however really like the wood window valences in the the LA and even tried to get Newmar to swap them into our DS as a special request, but this was the one thing they denied. In contrast, they were more than accommodating to our requests for a Westport LA exterior color scheme and chrome MA faucets and other fixtures. Best of luck in whatever direction you decide to go. Newmar is a great company, and that is a large part of the battle.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #3

Well, I will step in with my 2 cents. We are first time Newmar owners. This is our 3rd Pusher, and first brand new one. We love the brand and did consider others. So I will just say, We are happy with that decision.

On your two model comparisons, its easy enough to see the differences when you just look at the specs. But since you are coming from a 5th wheel. Anything from the Dutch Star up is going to seem impressive to you.
And with Newmar you can get a lot of upgrades and options. But here is where the big differences are with the two models you mention. Engine!!!!
500hp for MA and 600 for LA. For that, similarly optioned you are about 60k difference in MSRP. Once you throw in the Dutch star at 450hp, you have a spread of aprox. 200k to the London Aire.
Yes the appointments in the MA and LA are equally as nice especially if you upgrade the MA to near LA options. With the DS you can't get quite there.

You also have some options in the LA like Vorad that I don't believe is offered on the MA . DS does not offer it at this level.

So for 100 hp difference in the MA and LA is it worth it. It depends on your objectives and use. I would say your driving experience will be the judge of which one suites you. For me the 500hp ride may be close enough and certainly plenty of engine. But....if you are the type that you will tire of it sooner and want to move up (which you indicated you probably were not), You would always want to buy (as many have said) the last one first to preclude the trading up too soon. I know from what I speak . As I said , this is my 3rd pusher........... in 5 years. Not particularly sound practice. But now, I am loving my Dutch Star decision, its appointments and features and how it operates.
I would say once you get close to narrowing it down, because many features on the two you have interest in are going to be very close, I would say you need to drive each of them under same road, weather conditions and just not around the block. Once you determine if the power plant suites you, you can option them closely and you may find a savings in the MA. But if you and your spouse like the nicer amenities of the LA, then you have your answers. Again, the specs on each of the two are really close....same chassis options, fuel capacity, tank capacities (I think), length etc. same heating and ACs etc......

In the end it comes down to personal choice. If in 5 years I decided on the next one, I would be starting at the LA for the 600 hp. Not that I need it, but its the logical next upgrade for me. And I believe I can get everything on it that I could get in the next one up (Essex) for the most part and save the money.
Good Luck and again, the brand and manufacturer support is pretty good in my view. Don't think you can go wrong.
Oh, and for elimination purposes, I would even start with a Dutch Star 44ft (43.9) test drive first.

Ciao
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:29 PM   #4

Thanks for your responses. DutchStar is not out of the question by no means, just felt the standards of the MA and LA fit our wishes without having to option up, but I know it would be just fine as well. Plus we like the looks of the MA and LA a little more then the DS, like the front cap and the hidden wipers etc. We are headed down to Palm Springs for a little time away next week and plan to check a few units while there. The dealer has a Ma and LA in stock even though not our preferred floor plans but should give us some good information.

As far as power plants, 500/600 I'm certain either would be fine. I'm a Engineer in the FD and in charge of specifications for all new apparatus. The unit I'm assigned to is a 42' Aerial Ladder truck that weighs 60k lbs and has a 2007 Cummins ISM 450hp/Allison 4000 tranny with 1645 to. So I does just fine, so I'd guess the MADP would be just fine as well, but 600/1950 would be better. So I guess after our trip next week I'll have a good thought going, and if I can option up the MA with some of the other model options that could be sweet. Thanks again,

Merry Christmas
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:47 AM   #5

Narrowing choices MADP. Or LADP, any thoughts?

Don't forget that with Newmar there are the factory options and then there are the 'customer special requests.' It's the later that is special about Newmar. We've got 4 pages of these with everything from King Aire floors and countertops to extra wiring on our unit on order.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

Which model does Newmar start using solid core doors? And do they have soft close and soft open pocket doors?
I know when we started our hunt we focused on '03-'06 and started with Winnie's Ultimate Freedom (03 and 04) and wow, what a coach (IMHO)! I think we were spoiled by what we found, everything else after that seemed to be of lesser build quality - Beaver Monterey Laguna III were great quality too (looked at a 05). After those purchases fell through I started looking at Newmars DSDP (my buddy had been hounding me to get one from the beginning - "The best quality and mfr") and I noticed the same year DSDPs had hollow core doors on bedroom and bath. Sorry, not knocking them since I hunted for DSDPs for a long while (03 4006 and 04 4011) and own a Newmar now, but just wondering. Our London Aire has solid core doors on both sides of the bath area but they are not soft open and close.
We checked out new DSDP recently but don't remember if they have solid core doors now - we did like the emergency escape door - weird place though, behind the toilet.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Don't forget that with Newmar there are the factory options and then there are the 'customer special requests.' It's the later that is special about Newmar. We've got 4 pages of these with everything from King Aire floors and countertops to extra wiring on our unit on order.
My present coach is my fourth Newmar coach since 2011. If there is anyone who understands moving up too quickly, it is me! That being said, there is no question that either the MA or the LA are great choices.

I had a 2015 MA spec'd and ordered, but after my order was placed, there developed a problem with Freightliner's radiator supplier and a number of FL chassis were delayed to Newmar as a result, making my deal on my trade with the dealer on the MA untenable because of how long it would be before he could get my trade.

So we both decided to cancel the order and I got my deposit back. Then ... I did what has been suggested in this thread -- I looked at what I could get with a new order on a DS instead of an MA. After doing extensive research, I decided that the DS was the best option for me and I ordered a new '15 DS 4369. I spec'd it just the way I wanted and spent a LOT of time with Michelle Howard at Newmar refining all the specials I decided on. I basically made my DS the better part of a MA with all the changes I made -- MA floors, MA solid core doors throughout, MA sconces, hardware, window and wall coverings, all MA fabrics and leather. KA countertops. In short, 45 specials, four and a half pages of changes, including custom paintwork.

I have been very, very pleased. The savings I got has put my daughter through law school. So for me, this was an easy decision that I kind of fell into thanks to Freightliner's radiator supplier. I am very glad it all worked out this way. I know of no one who has ordered a '15 and on Dutch Star 4369 who has been disappointed with their decision.

Just .... my two cents.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #8
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
Well we are knee deep into researching what coach we plan to purchase. Still debating Entegra/Newmar but with recent sale of Jayco to Thor and supposed changes at Entegra I'm leaning away more and more each day. So to the two Newmars we've narrowed down to are Mountain Aire and London Aire. Floor plans are either 4519 or 4553. Looking for input from any owners of either coaches, besides the motor what are the major differences between the two model lines and is it worth the added $$$ to go London? We are looking 2016/2017 and even possible order to get color combo Honey likes, don't want to settle on what we believe to be our final Rv. We've had our current 5th wheel since new in 2006 so we don't trade every year or two as some lucky folks do. So we plan to get what we are happy with whether on the lot or ordered. Thanks for any input. Brad
If it were in my budget, I'd go for the LA in a heartbeat. The only thing in either the MA or LA that puts me off (besides not being able to afford them) is the 45' length. Several of our favorite spots can barely fit our 40' Ventana.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
I basically made my DS the better part of a MA with all the changes I made -- MA floors, MA solid core doors throughout, MA sconces, hardware, window and wall coverings, all MA fabrics and leather.
Answers my question above. Thanks.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:03 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Everybody has their pet feature that makes a big difference to them. For some, power is important. For me, i would choose LA for the basement height. Especially on Spartan chassis the storage height below the frame rails is much taller on the LA.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Everybody has their pet feature that makes a big difference to them. For some, power is important. For me, i would choose LA for the basement height. Especially on Spartan chassis the storage height below the frame rails is much taller on the LA.
In 2017, the MADP is on either the FL SL or the Spartan K3 chassis, just like the LADP (with 500 HP ISX instead of 600 HP ISX), so wouldn't the storage bay height be identical (unlike prior years when the MADP was on the K2)?

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Well, on the 16s that I measured there was a big difference in usable basement height between MA and LA. Could have changed for '17, but not necessarily. While the chassis may be the same to begin with, the way the coach is built on the chassis could be different. Last time I checked the LA had a greater overall height than the MA and I think that differencecwas in the basement.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
we did like the emergency escape door - weird place though, behind the toilet.
I think the location of the emergency escape door is pure genius.

1: As an emergency escape door it will be rarely used but easily accessible. Why use up valuable wall space elsewhere in the coach for this?

2: Easily blends in with the decor and barely even noticeable.

3: When you need to escape just sit on the toilet, turn around and jump. Much easier than crawling through a window.

4: It is in the rearmost position in the coach, so now you have an escape on both ends of the coach no matter where the fire occurs.

5: Extra Bonus: If you ever need to service the toilet, just open the door and reach in from outside. All components easily accessible.

I think Newmar hit a home run on this one.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Well, on the 16s that I measured there was a big difference in usable basement height between MA and LA.
We measured the same for the 2016's. There definitely is a chassis (optional Spartan one) change from K2 to K3 from 2016 to 2017 for MA (I pulled up the Newmar brochures to verify), so the basement heights on Spartan should be similar (we will be checking for ourselves this week or next). It's one of the reasons we weren't considering MA before, but now have them near the top of our list.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote