RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #1

National General Insurance

Edit: After posting this I did a search on IRV2 using Google rather than this site’s search engine and I’m finding a lot of good information. So far my conclusion from reading the threads is that all insurance companies like to raise rates and many have poor service. I still welcome any input to the original post below.

Hi,

We’re taking delivery of a new Dutch Star in a week and as a result I’ve been shopping for insurance. National General is offering the best price for a bundled policy for our autos and motorhome and it’s not even close. In fact it’s so low in comparison it’s got me a little nervous especially since until today I’ve never heard of National General Insurance. I now know they were formerly GMAC and have been around for a long time but their online reviews are mixed and tend to have lower overall ratings than the other companies I’m quoting with that include; Progressive, Farmers, Geico, Nationwide.

Further I’d like to bundle everything including homeowners (we aren’t and won’t go full time). As such I’m still awaiting a homeowners quote from National General so the total cost isn’t known for them or the other companies since I’m in process of gathering information. I’ll be surprised if any company comes close to National General.

All that said I’m looking for some input on National General, their stability as a company, ability to pay claims and so on based on forum participants knowledge and experience. It’s an important decision I’d prefer not to mess up and again the main reason I’m uncomfortable is because I’ve never heard of them.

Thanks

Tilzbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #2

I have my coach insured through National General, but have never had to file a claim so there's not much in the way of news that I can provide. They were very responsive when I reached out to get a quote from them a couple years ago.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:16 PM   #3

National General is a strong, well respected insurance company. You will find varied experiences with all companies but all are regulated and the key is reading and totally understanding your policy. Plus you have to be your own advocate. National General uses more independent adjusters than some others and some of them try to save the company money hoping to look good to them. If you get one of these with any company simply ask that a different adjuster be assigned. Get your own estimates and negotiate from there. We have National General through National Interstate and enjoy great coverage at a very fair price compared to all other bidders. We did a lot of checking before moving to them and feel comfortable but have had no claims and hope to keep it that way. All JMHO
Old 06-24-2020, 11:47 PM   #4

I just switched when Progressive nearly doubled, and NG was 20% cheaper than what I had been paying Progressive before their ungodly increase. THEN I found out they allow you to put a “hold” if the RV won’t be on public roads (I store mine in a private lot) and whoooo boy, that has saved me hundreds more, particularly since I work in healthcare and between campground closures and working all the time due to Covid, I’m not going anywhere anytime soon. So I’ve easily saved over a grand this year.
Kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:15 AM   #5

We have NG

We are using NG for our RV insurance. We are only insuring the RV with NG, not our other vehicles or house.

We have filed a claim on a window chip (a small item). They have been very responsive and proactive getting the chip resolved. They contract to Safelite to handle windshield issues.

When shopping around I compared NG to what our independent insurance broker quoted. NG was cheaper by ~600.

This is our first year owning a coach and hence first year with NG. I'll be curious what the rate will be for next year - hopefully in line with what I paid this year.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #6

I'm using State Farm for my MH... good price and no issues.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We've had National General since we got our first class C in August 2016. I have no complaints, and customer service is great. (I recently found out that if you have them direct draft a checking account, instead of credit card, that they will give you a small discount on your premium. I had to file a claim for an almost destroyed patio awning, last year. the service was great and they worked well with CW who did the replacement.

This year I had to file a claim for a self inflicted damage to a wheel well panel and compartment door and they were so quick, they sent me a check based on the dealer's estimate a month and a half before we could even get it scheduled into the dealer for repair (had to wait on parts from factory due to shutdowns).

Three things stood out for me with NG initially:

1) You put the MH away for a while and you can call them toll-free and the temporarily remove the liability coverage (saving you some $) then when you get it back out you call andd they add the liability back on.
2) Telephone customer support.
3) Website. Ability to get policy documents like proof of insurance, etc. all online.
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:37 AM   #8

We have National General. Last year we were in a hail storm and received some damage. Also, we had a windshield crack with stone chips. They replaced both windshields at no cost. They did negotiate the hail damage price with the RV repair shop down from the original quote. All work was done with no issues. Our rates did not go up this year because of the claims. They were way cheaper than Progressive, who has our vehicle insurance.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
National General is a strong, well respected insurance company. You will find varied experiences with all companies but all are regulated and the key is reading and totally understanding your policy. Plus you have to be your own advocate. National General uses more independent adjusters than some others and some of them try to save the company money hoping to look good to them. If you get one of these with any company simply ask that a different adjuster be assigned. Get your own estimates and negotiate from there. We have National General through National Interstate and enjoy great coverage at a very fair price compared to all other bidders. We did a lot of checking before moving to them and feel comfortable but have had no claims and hope to keep it that way. All JMHO
Want to see rates drop? De regulate the insurance industry.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had National General with a good rate for about 2 years and on the 3rd year they bumped the rates by about 30%. No claims, not tickets, no reason for the huge jumps.

I have found that you have to shop all your insurance every 2 or 3 years. The companies seem to think they can bump the rated and you will be too lazy to make a few phone calls and shop.

Ken
Old 07-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #11

I'm an insurance agent and Progressive whips NG in Texas. However, NG is a good company and handles their business well. We are appointed to write with them in Texas, but have only one policy with them because Progressive's rates are insanely good.
rlb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:35 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm an insurance agent and Progressive whips NG in Texas. However, NG is a good company and handles their business well. We are appointed to write with them in Texas, but have only one policy with them because Progressive's rates are insanely good.

I live in Tarrant county Texas. When shopping for RV insurance for the MH Progressive was quite a bit higher than National General. I suspect it depends where you live in TX. We have Progressive on our other vehicles.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
When we got a huge (9 inches that grew to 16) crack in our windshield, I called Newmar to add it to a service call we had scheduled a month out from then. (This June) I called our NG insurance and all they wanted was pictures of the crack. They were happy to have Newmar replace it, dealt directly with Newmar, never asked for further estimates- all was easy and perfect. I’ve only been with them 2 years and was worried if they were “real” but I no longer worry!
TravlinMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
I live in Tarrant county Texas. When shopping for RV insurance for the MH Progressive was quite a bit higher than National General. I suspect it depends where you live in TX. We have Progressive on our other vehicles.
For sure. We can change an address for a customer and it might go up or down $40/month. Crazy. I'm on the Gulf Coast.

rlb28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, national