Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #1

National/State Parks and 43' Dutch Stars

I'm looking at purchasing a Dutch Star and flat tow my 2019 full sized Ram 1500. How would this rig work if I purchased a 43' Dutch Star and planned on staying in some State or National Parks or normal campgrounds in general in my journeys? Am I better off searching for a 40' Dutch Star or even a 37 footer? Since I have never owned a rig of this size, what are the logistics when it comes to maneuvering to fuel? BTW, I live in PA and travel the East. In a couple of years, we are going to expand our horizons to include the rest of the country.
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We like to visit National Parks. Two that we like to visit we know we can get our 40' coach in without issue, as long as we book certain spots. Yosemite has about a dozen spots that will hold a 40' - 43' footer. Yellowstone is currently adding some new 40' sites to Fishing Bridge, the campground inside the park.

I'm sure some will disagree, but 40' is about the limit to camp inside a National Park. With that said, most National Parks have private campgrounds in close proximity that will handle a 43', but you'll have to drive a little farther to enter the park. As an example, Yellowstone has a great RV park, called Grizzly RV, on the west end. It's great for big rigs and is about a mile or so from the park entrance. Unfortunately, Yellowstone is huge and being on one side takes a little longer to see the park each day, versus the campground in the center of the park.

A 37 foot RV might guarantee that you have no length issue at National Parks, 40 feet might limit you and 43 feet will probably be a no go.

I don't think I would let RV length be determined by National Park access.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 43' dutchstar. Every summer we travel the western us, staying at many national parks. Actually, more accurately, near many national parks.

We do not even try to fit inside the national parks. State parks and Corp parks are fine, otherwise we stay in commercial parks near the national parks.

The new fishing bridge might be big enough, and Glacier National park is putting in some very nice sites at the west entrance. These will be 65ft sites with fhu.

When we go to Yellowstone, we stay just outside the west entrance at Grizzly RV Park.

We love our 43, and someday will probably have a 45. This eliminates staying inside the park.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #4

Agree. We took our class A and C into national and state parks. Now wth the DS 4018 we're almost always staying at a commercial park outside but near the entrance. Zion, Arches, Glacier. interestingly there is usually one highly rated (RV park reviews) place near the entrance of each park.
Mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We stayed at Trailer Village RV Park inside the Grand Canyon National Park with our 43' Dutch Star. No problem in the sight they gave use.

But we usually stay just outside most National Parks. The RV Parks are usually nicer & pricing is not much different.

Will be staying at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone just outside the west entrance later this year.
Also staying inside the Grand Tetons National Park at Colter Bay RV Park.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:39 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Stuart....we're in Williams tonight at Railroad RV Park. Thought about Trailer Village this morning on the drive in, but we're only here two nights. I like that campground. Often get to see the animals walking through. Will drive the truck up tomorrow.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:13 AM   #7

With the newer Dutch Stars, it's not so much the length as it is the height that I worry about when using state parks or some campgrounds.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #8

Our 45' will not fit inside national parks. It is ok in about 1/3 of Florida State Parks. It's ok in about 3/4 of private parks. Many parks have sites that are ok for a 45' but the roads within the park are not adequate.

I'd still choose the 45' if I was doing it over again ... it just requires some planning and use of Google Maps to see the overhead view of sites and roads. Same for a 43'.
Fueling is not a problem. I primarily use truck stops.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #9

I prefer state parks and other public parks. The largest length choice you can select on the 2 internet national reservation sites is 40 ft. That doesn't mean a larger RV won't fit.

We always reserve in advance and I won't go to a park if no 40 sites are available.

We camped in Michigan summer before last at state parks and we were generally the largest RV in the campground, but always booked a 40 ft site.

Unless you book well in advance you will not get a 40 ft site in any National Park if they have 40 ft sites available - many do not.

From a practical stand point 40 ft is probably the max if you want to stay in a public park. I don't believe I have seen any huge rigs in public parks and again at 40 ft we generally are the largest rig in the park.
By Public parks I mean state, COE, US Forest, National Parks, etc.

Most popular places have private parks in close proximity that will accommodate any size rig.

Fueling always takes some planning even in my 40 footer unless I stick to truck stops where fuel prices are always higher. There is a gas station near home I use but I take up 2 fuel pumps due to length and there is a traffic light that allows me entry so don't have to wait for space in oncoming traffic.

Bigger rigs pose challenges, you just have to learn how to deal with them and realize there are some places you just don't go.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Stuart....we're in Williams tonight at Railroad RV Park. Thought about Trailer Village this morning on the drive in, but we're only here two nights. I like that campground. Often get to see the animals walking through. Will drive the truck up tomorrow.

I left you a PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #11

I'll add one other factor. Many state/nat/COE/etc. parks do not have sewage and moving the rig to dump is a challenge ... many dump sites are not accessible for rigs over about 38' (the radius of the entrance/exit curve is too tight).
Old 01-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I'll add one other factor. Many state/nat/COE/etc. parks do not have sewage and moving the rig to dump is a challenge ... many dump sites are not accessible for rigs over about 38' (the radius of the entrance/exit curve is too tight).
I’ve often followed these types of posts and not read the above caution before. But IMO it’s spot on and an important consideration. Thank you.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
When you decide to start traveling in an RV 40' and over you have to start pre-planning your travels a little differently IMHO.

Bruceisla brings up a good point which if you are careful with your planning you can still be okay with.

We decide on where we will go and what roads will get us there in advance. If any State or U.S. Highways are involved I consult my Commercial road atlas to make sure there are no now overpasses on the route.

I will pick my fuel stops in advance. I pull up Google Earth Pro and start by checking the area getting in and out of my fuel stops, then I move on to checking views for the camping sites or campground we will be going to. If there are a ton of trees then I do more "street viewing" so I can get a better feel for possible low hanging branches.

All of this usually only takes about 10 minutes. If we are going to a CG I question them pretty good when making the reservation. I also read all reviews associated with them.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #14

Buy a rig that you’ll love staying in and don’t let NP Influence your decision. There are many places to stay and while commercial CGs cost more, they provide more. See RV Park Reviews site, I’d guess 75% are Big Rig friendly. That’s enough. Fueling is not a problem, go to truck stops. Use satellite images to check out a non truck stop. Worse case scenario is you have to unhook tow car. Has happened once in 120,000 of trips.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, national