RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #1

Need Advice from Newmar Canyon Star V-10 Owners

We are looking seriously at the new Newmar Canyon Star with the rear bath and the V-10 Gas Engine. My husband plan to tow a 19ft duel axle trailer with our motorcycles that will probably top out at just below 5000 lbs.

Looking for feedback from owners that have towed a similar weight load over various roads and altitudes with the V-10 engine.

I have been doing some reading on other Forums but looking for some specifics for the Newmar Canyon Star that has been manufactured with the V-10.

Spiderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Spiderwoman,
Which one are you looking at, the 3610 or the 3953? The 3610 uses the 22,000lb chassis like ours. When we are fully loaded we are right at 22,000lb plus about 3200lb for toad.

Our performance with this weight load is fine. We can maintain about 35-45MPH on 8-9% grades (like I40 over Black Mtn in NC or US 421 to Boone in NC) and 55MPH+ on your typical 6% interstate grades (like I75 thru the mountains in TN and KY). The V10 likes RPM's, at these speeds it sounds like it is about to take off, but my understanding is it is designed for high RPM operation.

If you're looking at the 3952 you're looking at about 2000lb more UVW weight so you should expect even worse performance than this.

I hope this helps, good luck in your decision!

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

I drove a 34 foot 2000 National Seabreeze /Ford V-10 towing a 1999 Honda CR-V for nine years and for 65,000 miles. Put over 10,000 miles in the Mexican mountains in very hot weather. The Seabreeze and the CR-V were loaded to the hills for the 15 months we were there. The engine never heated, nor the brakes (no brakes on the CR-V) and performed very well. Took a few quarts of oil but was down-shifting a lot downhill.

Having said that... I have to say our Vortec / Allison transmission is so much better. Nothing wrong with the V-10 mind you, but not in the same league as the W22 powertrain. Yesterday I drove my neighbour's 30' 2012 V-10 Fleetwood. I have to say it confirms what I just said. It must be the Allison transmission that makes the big difference because the V-10 is a really good engine. I suppose the best of both worlds could be a V-10 / Allison transmission if this is an option. The Vortec 8.1 is being discontinued by GM.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Spiderwoman,
Which one are you looking at, the 3610 or the 3953? The 3610 uses the 22,000lb chassis like ours. When we are fully loaded we are right at 22,000lb plus about 3200lb for toad.

Our performance with this weight load is fine. We can maintain about 35-45MPH on 8-9% grades (like I40 over Black Mtn in NC or US 421 to Boone in NC) and 55MPH+ on your typical 6% interstate grades (like I75 thru the mountains in TN and KY). The V10 likes RPM's, at these speeds it sounds like it is about to take off, but my understanding is it is designed for high RPM operation.

If you're looking at the 3952 you're looking at about 2000lb more UVW weight so you should expect even worse performance than this.

I hope this helps, good luck in your decision!
Your information is helpful. We are looking at the 3953. He sure likes that second bathroom.
We realized that would also be adding the extra weight you mentioned and so he is concerned about the perfomance if we have to tackle any steep grades.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyka View Post
I drove a 34 foot 2000 National Seabreeze /Ford V-10 towing a 1999 Honda CR-V for nine years and for 65,000 miles. Put over 10,000 miles in the Mexican mountains in very hot weather. The Seabreeze and the CR-V were loaded to the hills for the 15 months we were there. The engine never heated, nor the brakes (no brakes on the CR-V) and performed very well. Took a few quarts of oil but was down-shifting a lot downhill.

Having said that... I have to say our Vortec / Allison transmission is so much better. Nothing wrong with the V-10 mind you, but not in the same league as the W22 powertrain. Yesterday I drove my neighbour's 30' 2012 V-10 Fleetwood. I have to say it confirms what I just said. It must be the Allison transmission that makes the big difference because the V-10 is a really good engine. I suppose the best of both worlds could be a V-10 / Allison transmission if this is an option. The Vortec 8.1 is being discontinued by GM.

Hope this helps.
It sure does. I will have him look over the info you have provided and hopefully we will be able to either lighten the load or try to find the best of both worlds.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 37' model 3647 with the V-10. While I don't tow the weight you're talking about, I do tow an SUV of approx. 3600#. Have traveled all over the country including mountain driving and can assure you the V-10 has the power to get you there although you will not climb major grades with any speed.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #7

I find the Workhorse much better going up hills, it almost maintains the speed set in cruise control and for some reason it never shifts down going up an overpass when in cruise control. The V-10 always did. To maintain the cruise control speed I had to speed up before going up an overpass. I agree with Luv2go about the high revs. This is what I noticed the most yesterday in the new Fleetwood.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Here is a Owners Guide with weights and towing information for added help.
The newer Ford V-10 chassis is above the Ford V-10's I had, most are happy with the newer chassis and transmission combination.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyka View Post
I find the Workhorse much better going up hills.........
Kind of a moot point since the newer Canyon Stars don't have the Workhorse option and that's only an opinion anyway.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 37' coach, drag about 5000 lbs of Jeep around, carry too much stuff, and my drivetrain has less power and fewer gears that the newer coaches. It will readily maintain 50-55 on a 6% grade.

You also need to think about if you stay more or drive more, and how far you travel. We typically stay more and within 3 hours of home, with a once or twice a year trip of a few thousand miles.

Would I like to have more power, sure. Do I need more power, nope. My v10 gets the job done.

All that said, the 5Star tuner is on my Christmas list due to the good things I hear about it especially the transmission shift pattern improvements.

As for the Canyon Star, it would be at the top of my list if looking for a newer large gas coach. The V10 would not be a negative.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #11

Thanks for the input

Just finish reading all of the posts to my husband and we both appreciate your input. He has a tendency to overpack but it sounds like if we follow weight guidelines the 3953 would get us where we want to go.

Keep the great info coming!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have a 37' coach, drag about 5000 lbs of Jeep around, carry too much stuff, and my drivetrain has less power and fewer gears that the newer coaches. It will readily maintain 50-55 on a 6% grade.

You also need to think about if you stay more or drive more, and how far you travel. We typically stay more and within 3 hours of home, with a once or twice a year trip of a few thousand miles.

Would I like to have more power, sure. Do I need more power, nope. My v10 gets the job done.

All that said, the 5Star tuner is on my Christmas list due to the good things I hear about it especially the transmission shift pattern improvements.

As for the Canyon Star, it would be at the top of my list if looking for a newer large gas coach. The V10 would not be a negative.
Would you please elaborate on the 5Star tuner?
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
Kind of a moot point since the newer Canyon Stars don't have the Workhorse option and that's only an opinion anyway.
Not really. Some very good Canyon Stars are on the market with the W22 / Workhorse / Allison.

For example: 2011 Newmar Canyon Star 3411 New Gas Motor Home
Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OP stated they were looking at new CS with rear bath. That is a 2013 model 3953 and only Ford chassis available.

Tags
newmar