Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Need advice negotiating first purchase

I am new to the RV world. We rented a Class A gas RV for a week last summer and have been hooked since. This is our first endeavor to owning any coach and I been doing extensive researching since we were at the Hershey show. One of the top choices are the 2016 Ventana LE 4037 or 4040 floorplans. I see information indicating anywhere from 25 to 40% off. The MSRP on the 4040 is $260,153. Obviously, we do not have a trade and our credit is very good. I will take any pointer of what to expect. Also, is the resale value of a bunkhouse coach (4040) drastically less? Are they more difficult to resell? What other dealer games should I expect?
Manzfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You might get 25-28% off list on a Newmar of the current year. More if you get a new, still on the lot, last years unit.
We would have no use for a bunkhouse unit but others might.
When we ordered our '02 DSDP we got about 26% off.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:47 PM   #3

Expect the dealer to promise everything. A few things I have learned. 1) Sales people will say nearly anything to get a sale. 2) Salespeople have no power to set the sales price. 3) The finance manager will add significant cost to the sale which will be included in your contract.

The process of purchasing a coach is engineered to be stacked against the purchaser. You can however negotiate a good deal if you are careful and use the process toward your favor. First you need to understand the rock bottom price for the coach you want. You need to start a spreadsheet that contains every option you want on the coach (including the ones on any units you have looked at) and anything you want to have the dealer add. To do this research pricing on rvdirect.com and a few other internet dealers that include the options you want. Next armed with that information you start negotiating the price. When you negotiate the price tell them that you want the "out the door" price that includes all taxes, fees, extended warranty, tire protection, paint protection etc. You can start this process with the salesman be sure to put everything in writing. After you have worked with the salesman for a short time - could be a few days or more. Next you will want to ask for "the desk'. "The desk" is comprised of the sales managers. When you talk with the sales manager you need to make it clear that you are negotiating the entire deal including all adds you want and you need an "out the door" price. After you agree to a price ask them to send it to you or ask for it in writing immediately. It is best to ask for an email. If you are in person get a printout of the deal and ensure everything is written down. It is critical to have the out the door price in writing. You can give a follow up email with all the details as you understand them. If they ask for a deposit give them a small deposit. Make sure that they understand that the numbers cannot change when you sign for the coach. Be prepared that they will "lose" the paperwork and the numbers will change. Stick to your guns. Do not accept delivery or sign any delivery paperwork until you actually have the coach and it is acceptable to you. Your delivery appointment is a very critical time. Do not let them rush you. Be very careful and thorough. This will be the last time you have to document certain things before final delivery.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Manzfam,
There is to much going on behind the scenes for you to know what the lowest price is until you sign a sales contract. Resale of a bunk bed floor plan is no different than any other floor plan. You are buying a depreciating asset. Buy a coach that will serve your needs for a decade or more. Now, to the current purchase question:
1. Current year or previous year?
2. Does the dealer really "need" to sell the coach?
3. Is Newmar helping move that coach?
4. Is Newmar helping that dealer?
All these items are behind the scenes and you will never know what is really going on.

The bottom line is:
1. See if the floor plan is available at more than one dealer. A local dealer becomes less important when the warranty is one year. Don't know your situation, but I take my coach to Nappanee for most work.
2. Decide on the coach you want. Then do most of what msturtz posted.
3. Take 66% of the deal MSRP. Have the sales person write a contract for that amount.
4. Sign the contract and provide a deposit. Tell the sales person this is all you can pay.
5. The contract should give the dealer X amount of time to accept the contract. A day or to is plenty of time.
6. It is up to the dealer to review all that is going on behind the scenes and accept or reject the contract.
7. For me it is either a yes or no answer. If the dealer returns with a counter offer they are just trying to squeeze dollars out of you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:15 AM   #5

My suggestion is order all the bells and Whistles the call Dylans RV in Jersey. It really doesn't matter where you buy it.
Call other dealers get your best deal and have Dylans beat that deal by 10 percent. You should do well.

Yan & Shanti 2015 Dutchstar 4369 1st MH
tlc1244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Most important tool you can have in any negotiation is the word "NO". You need to take the position (and make it clear) that while they need to sell the RV, you do not need to buy it. If you are not willing to walk away from a deal, you are negotiating from a position of weakness.

We walked away from several offered deals before we bought our current RV. Was not always easy as I really liked one of them. But I like the one we eventually bought just as much, if not more.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi Mansfam,
You are in a very enviable position right now. (looking to buy, with nothing to trade) A position that you will probably never be in again.

Once you own an RV for a while, you will only then realize what floorplan really fits your needs and wants. We have all gone through it.

Most people buy their first one used for that very reason. If you look long enough and study the market, you will save big $$$$$$$ up front, then when you realize what really fits you, you haven't lost big bucks because you bought new retail.

Good luck in your search
Old 03-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I bought my DSDP at North Trails in Ft Meyers, off the lot, and got a whisker over 30% off. Plus it was near the end of the model year.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I bought my DSDP at North Trails in Ft Meyers Fl. Got it off the lot, and got a whisker over 30% off. Plus it was near the end of the model year.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #10

We just ordered one from Dylan's RV and got 25% off MSRP. One dealer took off only 12%. It can run the gamut.
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #11

Good advice in this thread...some I'm going to take to heart. Dylan's quoted me about 22% off a ventana le...didn't seem too good to me
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:40 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just got a 2015; one of the last on the lot. They really wanted to move it. Got about 30% off MSRP. But they would not do the same for the 2016. My research suggests 25% is a good average discount. So many other factors play into the number.

Tobias - Newmar 2015 Dutch Star 4366
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-12-2016, 07:21 AM   #13

Gtsum, offer a 25% off price to Dylan's and walk if they do not accept. We had a trade and they gave us a better price for that. Another dealer actually took off another percent, but they wanted to give us half of what Dylan's gave us for the trade. That was several thousand dollars!
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #14

Manzfam, I found myself last year in a similar position in going head long into purchasing a Class A having only driven one for a few minutes but was hooked. I researched for over 6 weeks on Class A's and found the what I felt was the Holly Grail for RV's. This is not a plug as I have no affiliation with them but I had my picks down to five RV's but once I ran them through the Consumer RV Group results only one made the grade. I almost bought a lemon(s). However, I looked up the Ventana LE on the Consumer RV Group program but since I purchased the program last year it only goes to 2015. Seems they are very nice coaches but the 3436 3437 3635 3636 were rated only 1 or 2 stars out of four due to possible fatigue driving down the road due to a wheelbase and length of the MH ratio. This information is collected from other owners and actual manufacturing tools by this consumer group. The other two ratings were some of the highest I've ever seen. Thought you might want to take a look at the program I was referring to. I found it very comforting to having input from others. It can't always be about price if you end up not liking how it handles, poor safety, resale, poor workmanship etc.
SWADoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase