Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
Great reason to have a side radiator.
Well, there's that...
but it is what it is. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
Great reason to have a side radiator.
Do you think he can move it ?

We are here to help.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #17

Don’t suppose the broken belt has a part # on it ?

It’s possible a rock bounced in and jammed the belt, causing the burn thru
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #18

Has the dash AC stopped working correctly? (ie fan running but air not cold). If so, that’s your ac belt.
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry for not responding earlier, have had computer issues. I crawled under the RV and looked up, but couldn't tell much. I did notice the serpentine belt was fine. Not really sure when looking up at the bottom of the engine where the A/C compressor would be located. The belt itself is 1/2 inch wide and looks like its a Dayco 17448. Since there is a rear mounted radiator, and not really sure if it is an A/C compressor belt; is replacement from underneath the only option? Will removal of the bathroom floor plate give easier access to replace the belt or check for what caused the belt to break? If I can access to check things out from the access plate area; I know there are two bolts under some pop in buttons. The RV is a 2019 Ventana 4002 so will those two bolts allow me to remove the access panel or do I need to remove the bottom of the bathroom vanity? If so, how do I remove the bottom of the vanity? Another issue is my wife really doesn't want me to do this, and I tried calling several Mobile RV Repair Techs and none of them do "engine" work. Does anyone know who I should contact in the Naples Florida area? Would I call a diesel truck repair center or a Cummins dealer? I'm not sure it can be driven or not, so would prefer someone come to the RV, just not sure who to call. Thanks a lot for all the help.
Gnewmarvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnewmarvt View Post
Sorry for not responding earlier, have had computer issues. I crawled under the RV and looked up, but couldn't tell much. I did notice the serpentine belt was fine. Not really sure when looking up at the bottom of the engine where the A/C compressor would be located. The belt itself is 1/2 inch wide and looks like its a Dayco 17448. Since there is a rear mounted radiator, and not really sure if it is an A/C compressor belt; is replacement from underneath the only option? Will removal of the bathroom floor plate give easier access to replace the belt or check for what caused the belt to break? If I can access to check things out from the access plate area; I know there are two bolts under some pop in buttons. The RV is a 2019 Ventana 4002 so will those two bolts allow me to remove the access panel or do I need to remove the bottom of the bathroom vanity? If so, how do I remove the bottom of the vanity? Another issue is my wife really doesn't want me to do this, and I tried calling several Mobile RV Repair Techs and none of them do "engine" work. Does anyone know who I should contact in the Naples Florida area? Would I call a diesel truck repair center or a Cummins dealer? I'm not sure it can be driven or not, so would prefer someone come to the RV, just not sure who to call. Thanks a lot for all the help.
Hi there. Did you see my post above to test dash AC? If you can conclude that it’s ok to drive (just no ac) and you’re close to Ft Myers, call North Trail RV just Off I-75 and Palm Beach Blvd/sr80. Check when u call, but I think it’s exit 141 off of I-75. They are the biggest Newmar dealer in the country and have a good service dept. They are also an authorized Freightliner & Spartan dealer (I think). If you give service the belt no, they should be able to confirm what it’s for. Ask for Brett or Diana Wilkinson and feel free to use my name (Bob Clawson). By the way, I’m from Westfield IN and Diana is a Hoosier as well. Good luck. Feel free to pm if u want more info on North Trail.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #21
Yaj

I do engine work and I am in the Fort Myers area.
North Trail parts has recommended me several times when customers have asked the parts dept for a good mobile service.

Jay Herte, Happy Coach LLC
262-707-8346

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #22

Since you have the belt number why not call Spartan with your VIN and they should be able to confirm if it is for the A/C which would present no problem driving it. Spartan can also recommend a repair service near you since you are still under warranty.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gary.....it would be tough to replace that belt unless you have the tools, skill and patience. I would at least look to see why it broke. I'm guessing the A/C compressor seized. I had the EXACT same thing happen. We pulled into a Camp Verde campground and as I started to unhitch the toad, I heard a sizzling and the belt popped off. Unfortunately on mine, that belt drove several other needed components. Mine's a side radiator and I was able to install a shorter belt bypassing the A/C until I got home.

On yours, I would want to know what that belt is driving and can the coach be driven without it. I believe on some models, that belt only drove the A/C compressor.

I would pull the engine cover and look at the top of the engine from inside the coach. Even if you have to stick your arm in there with your phone and take photos. If your coach is like many others, the lower part of the vanity is just stuck on with clips. Give it a tug and it will come off. The floor has four black plastic caps. Use something sharp to remove them. Under the four caps are four 3/8 or 7/16 screws. Remove the four screws to remove the flooring. Have a towel or something to set it on. Under the floor is a metal engine cover. Part of it is on the floor and part hinges up against the vanity. Remove the fasteners, fold the part against the vanity back toward you and lift the entire assembly out. It's heavy. Once out, you should have a pretty good view of the top of the engine and the A/C compressor as you look back toward the driver's side.

Look for any pulleys that the broken belt was driving, other than the A/C compressor. If there aren't any, you should be okay to continue to drive the coach, just no A/C. On mine, I was stuck as it was the big belt that broke and drove the alternator and air compressor.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:19 AM   #24

I agree with most...it is likely the AC compressor that seized up and burned up the belt.

Now a story some might relate to: This happened to me on our first big trip in 2018. We stopped at a Cenex in Greybull, WY on our way to Yellowstone to refuel. When I got out there was smoke rolling out of the back. It was 5:00 on a FRIDAY!!!! No diesel mechanic in town and no tow truck large enough to move me. I called everyone for 120 miles and nobody could help until Monday. Without knowing what the belt drove, I was looking at spending the weekend at the Cenex pumps waiting for Monday. The nice local tow operator (who had already said he didn't have equipment to help) decided to stop buy on his way to another call and "see what was up". This man saved our bacon by identifying that the belt drove only the AC and that we could continue to Yellowstone and back to MN without damage. It was fall so no AC was necessary and on we went after I had him assure me three time there would be no issue doing so.

RVing IS an experience.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #25

The belt itself is 1/2 inch wide and looks like its a Dayco 17448. Since there is a rear mounted radiator, and not really sure if it is an A/C compressor belt;

According to my Dayco, that belt is 44.75in long, and 17/32in wide.. and I'd bet that it is likely the A/C belt.
Brigitte
NW Classic
Automotive Restoration
BrigitteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #26

Since it sounds like you haven't done much diagnostics before, make sure you have proper rated jack stands / timber under the RV frame chassis before sliding underneath. You never know when the air system will drop the RV. This is basics but even if that was obvious to you, better safe than sorry.

As others have said, you just have to figure out where the belt connected and to spin, rock all the rotating parts (tensioner, AC compressor, Alternator etc) until you find the locked up item that also needs to be replaced. Any auto service station should be able to assist. Takes 30 minutes.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #27

This is one of 100 reasons that I tell folks to ALWAYS buy a DP with a side radiator. I open my engine compartment and ... there is the engine. Well, most of it. I do have to open two hatches in the bedroom to see 95% of it. But belts, alternator, leaks, etc ... are right there. Rear radiators are a cruel trick manufacturers play on unsuspecting buyers who don't stop to consider routine maintenance and observation. I went looking back in 2014 and that was the number ONE deal breaker on buying an RV. No rear radiators. There might be some obscure reason or benefit to them, but IMO they are there to drive business to their repair shops.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #28

AC belts tend to be notched on the inside where the V meets the pulley.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice