RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Need Advice on Broken Belt

I have a 2019 Newmar Ventana with rear mounted radiator. We just took our first jaunt south to Florida and when backing into our site my wife yelled over the Walkie that smoke was coming out of the back of the coach. Before I could shut the coach off and get out she tells me that a belt just dropped out from under the coach and was smoking. I checked my gauges and nothing appeared out of the norm so I continued backing into the spot and shut her down. The belt is small any idea of what it may be? I know that's not much help, so I assume in order to tell where it came from I'll need to remove the floor panel in the rear bath. Any special precautions that I need to be aware of when removing the cover? If it helps to pin down where it may have come from we were running the front dash blower with controls set on AC most of the way through Georgia and Florida. Thanks
Gnewmarvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #2

There is a reason why belts break. Chances are you have a problem with a frozen alternator or an a/c clutch assembly, etc. Chances are if you just replace the belt it will break again unless the root cause is fixed.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #3

Sounds like the a/c compressor has seized. But you can live without a/c so you may not need to fix urgently.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #4

What engine?

Yes, you do need to determine what that belt drove. And when convenient, check all the pulleys/accessories that it ran. You are looking for one that may be frozen or wobbly with play.

As already stated, if all it drives is the dash A/C compressor, leave it off-- you are free to "continue moving around the country".
Old 01-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #5

Are you still under warranty? Just asking.
You do need to determine what that belt drove and find the cause of it breaking.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2019 should be under chassis/engine warranty expiration.

May not cover the belt itself but if something went wrong to cause the belt fail then that could be covered.

- Richard
RandDescape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the replies. New to RVing and this is our first coach so please excuse my questions id they are lame. I'm guessing the only way to see where this belt came from is to remove the engine access cover located in the rear bathroom floor. Is or are there anything special about removing this cover? The engine is a Cummins 400hp. Thanks
Gnewmarvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnewmarvt View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. New to RVing and this is our first coach so please excuse my questions id they are lame. I'm guessing the only way to see where this belt came from is to remove the engine access cover located in the rear bathroom floor. Is or are there anything special about removing this cover? The engine is a Cummins 400hp. Thanks
Gary,
Removing the cover in the rear bath probably will not reveal anything. The best way to access is to slide under the engine compartment and look up. The area you are looking for is in the rear cap area and therefore is aft of the rear bath access cover. The rear bath cover will only give you access to the engine head and turbo area.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #9

A picture of the belt would help ID which it is.
How long & wide was it, m even a guess if it partially destroyed.

For 2019 VTDP I'm guessing Cummins [ ISB 360 HP Edit: wrong guess I see]. Rear Radiator / Fan

On that engine doesn't the serpentine belt drive all those things mentioned?
ALT, AC, water pump, Fan...?

It might be as simple as a failed tensioner or idler pulley that's the root cause.
You will need to either get a look from underneath (safely!) or from above. I have never figured out how to remove the top hatch on my VTDP so interested in any feedback / notes.
Worst case you may need to contact a mobile mechanic.
I just saw that Newmar has NewServe - a mobile mechanic service operating in FL but not much more info

Whether you can safely drive it depends on what failed to cause the belt failure and whether it is the serpentine belt that drives multi components.

Have you registered for a Cummins QuickServe Online account?
If not that's a good move. You can enter engine & gen serial #s and look up system & parts diagrams & #S. That's where I found the serpentine belt and tensioner #'s for mine. That's also where you can look up recalls & campaigns. I just found an emission system recall for mine but not sure how late it goes and whether you are affected.

Hope that helps.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #10

how wide is the broken belt & how long is it?? I'd almost bet that it's the A/C compressor clutch drive belt. As others have said- there's a reason belts break- I would guess from experience that your A/C clutch has frozen up & you'll need it replaced.

Be advised that Newmar has a mobile tech stationed in Florida- call Newmar Service to schedule him.He'll be in Tampa with the NKK for the Tampa Super Show starting 1-11-21.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #11

Where in FL are you? Depending on your location, their are a number of mobile RV techs you might be able to get to come out to diagnose your problem. The size of the belt will tell you a lot.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should be able to open your rear cap door for access to engine, Spartan chassis, to observe what belt is broken, no need to open rear floor access.
Here is a link to many more answers you will need and check also, plus all the links below in my signature will have more for you.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Take a peek from underneath. If the fan, water pump and alternator are still being driven, no issues. Probably the ac belt due to...?
Just insure the main serp belt didn't get derailed or damaged.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #14

Great reason to have a side radiator.

Tags
advice