Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Need Build # for burned out RV

Is there a way to get the build # for our DS by VIN number on Newmar Corp?
Everything is gone. Thank you.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't answer your question but my God what happened
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your loss.
You can contact Newmar CS and give them the VIN and they can give you the build sheet. You may also be able to get it through COM-NET.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry you have to go through this - hopefully everybody is OK.

I would call Newmar and ask them - I'm sure they can help you. 1-800-731-8300
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A 99 coach may not be in the Com_net network I believe it now only goes back to 2000.
If you give Vin# to me or you can try yourself by using the search window top of link.
Use the last 7 digits of the Vin#.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Build # for Burned out RV

Thanks to all of you. I called Newmar this morning and got the number I needed is was a series#, not build number. Guess I am so distraught and numb, I could have thought of this myself. Just going in circles with insurance and trying to remember personal items in RV. It started from a candle warmer. It contained a small tealight candle on the bottom and melting scented wax at the top. It was in a tray and away from the wall and the tealights in the past have always burned out quickly. It started to smoke originally and we threw water on it on the bathroom vanity. Don't know what happened but it looked like we'd thrown gas on it. It flamed up and went inside the wall. The wall was blackening from fire within as we watched it climb to the ceiling. Once it hit the ceiling, it went out of control. It was too late to go up front to get the fire extinguisher, though I doubt it would have helped. There was only 1/2 square of the melting wax. Just don't know. Just devastated. I was asleep in the recliner up front and the smoke woke me up. My husband was in the dinette booth and had not smelled anything. I fell out of the recliner trying to get out of it without lowering the footrest. Then had trouble getting up. My husband told me to call 911 and get out and he tried again to put it out, smothering it with a towel which caught fire. I was on phone with 911 and they couldn't find us at the military campground we were in. Smoke was choking me and I opened the front door and it worsened. I grabbed my car keys, purse and shoes and got out and moved the car and still arguing with 911. Kept yelling at my husband to get out. That feeling of helplessness and dread was so terrible to feel. The fire dept got there after the air conditioners blew up and flames were 40 feet in the air. The horn started blowing and the generator came on and the dash was on fire. We got out with our lives in our pajamas but at least we saved the car and we had credit cards and a phone. We had so much in it that is all gone. Hard to remember everything. Found out, too late, that we had an auto policy with State Farm and they cover nothing inside except what came with the RV. Had to file a separate claim on homeowners that had $2500 deductible that I never would have carried if I had known that about the policy. Don't wait to read your policies after something happens. And forget candles. We had so much in the RV because our home had been robbed twice and we carried with us all the items they normally want to steal; electronics, phones, computers, tablets, jewelry, collectibles, even my husband's stamp collection. Thought we were protecting them and now I find out we might as well had left them at home. I have to make a list of personal items and price them and it is exhausting. I went to WalMart in my pajamas and bought a pair of jeans, two shirts, and toiletries and underwear for us. No one even stared at me. I didn't even have a comb so you can imagine how bad I looked, not to mention being in a daze. I cry. I loved our motorhome. It was my second home. So hard to do all this work for insurance that won't cover everything. Do any of you know where to look up prices on bras and custom made sun screens? I hope we will be able to buy another one but not right away. I have to recover from this. Thanks to all of you for all the help you have given us over the years. Everything was perfect and working right when all of this happened, including the slideout and jacks, new batteries, new Michelin tires, serviced every year.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #7

been there done that ; almost to the T. Its an ugly process and I was a firefighter for 30 yrs. Also had state farm but mine was norcold caused and its still in court.
We made a drawing of our interior cabinets of how they were in the mh. Then we took our time and one by one started to write down what was in them. Even then a year later we would say we forgot the this and the that. Ours was at
2am in a state park in falmouth ky. Like you guys I had nothing except my dog my car wallet and cellphone. Not even underwear. I was wearing shorts and a t shirt. It was 3 yrs ago and still creeps me out. It gets better with time
Old 12-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club

Holy Crap scary stuff!

One thing is perfectly clear...you both are ok...kind of. The stuff is replaceable, painfully emotional, even economically, but still replaceable. I would think that a whole lot of people here could learn from this when you get your lives back on line.

Glad your both ok!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #9

I'm so sorry for your loss...

Just an FYI to people.. digital pictures are cheap... I TRY (unsuccessfully) to simply run the recorder on my phone and film/record everything... it automatically uploads to the cloud, in case I was ever to lose my phone..

So... periodically.. maybe once a quarter... hit "record" on your phone's camera and record everything (walk around the RV)... It's cheap and easy and only takes a few seconds of your time..

God bless and good luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #10

OMG - that's so not right!! I realize the effort you put in (and read the posts) to keep your coach the way you like it and mechanically sound. I'm going through that now to get it right before we start.
I think you just gave me the idea to add more fire extinguishers in the coach - I have one next to the entry door (1/3 back from front) and I think that is not enough.
And you're right - no candles in the coach.
I hope you recover from this awful experience easier than I would. We're here for you.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #11

Prayers for strength for you and your husband...
Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Motorhome fire

God bless you "another one". Good luck with State Farm. I know you are still stressed from the ordeal. I have to come up with the first $2500 and I think I might as well have burned 2500 dollar bills for campfire. And though I have replacement insurance, the crook in me is only going to get 75% of what is left. I have to buy the same item to get full replacement price. And they want the list now though we had to pay $85 a night for 2 days waiting for insurance adjuster to show up. We went home after 2 days. Couldn't deal with having to spend so much money.
Thanks to all of you for responding. I have always thought of RV-ers as family. Your thoughts and prayers are welcomed.
Do get another fire extinguisher and put it in the kitchen. Add more smoke alarms. If smell of smoke had not awakened me, we would not be here. I am allergic to smoke and had trouble breathing and it saved our lives.
We were so worried abut burglars at home, we carried items to keep them safe. I even had video of house contents made after burglary, safely stored in the RV.
Good idea to make diagram of cabinets and do one at a time. Will do that because this one thing at a time popping up and running to put it on list is too much.
I will definitely check insurance carefully and get language translated in layman's terms either recorded or in writing but it will not be State Farm. I did get a clarification on replacement value at beginning. Was assured it was replacement value. Some items I do not to buy because they were for use in motorhome only .
I am sorry this is so long. So frustrated and I feel you all understand.
Am enclosing video that was taken almost at the end. So hard to see.
Thanks again and bless all of you.
Video would not load. Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_144455.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	146108

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_144435.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	546.8 KB
ID:	146109
Old 12-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #13

Glad you all got out safely! Horrible to lose everything like that.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry for your lost roadstar99 but grateful you both are safe.
Know the stress, we had with a house fire and the insurance hassle your experiencing, we got a insurance adjuster that helped us out a great deal, so my wife was happy with her favorite home, she never thought she would enter again..
It takes time to bounce back but you will and I hope it will be with all of us in your new home on wheels.
Be safe and my prayers are with you both.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote