Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2022, 02:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Need guidance

Hello Newmar owners. Each winter we head south somewhere. I need to know if I need to winterize before heading out in the cold. We recently purchased a Ventana 3717. I would like feed back regarding the need to winterize. I store in a heated garage. I understand that the water bay is heated when the temp hits 40 degrees. We have Oasis . Does this fact still have a need to winterize the coach ? We had a Canyon Star and had to winterize every year. I would blow out the lines and it worked great.
If the heat in the bay will protect against freezing, what about the frig, washer and hot water outlet near the generator? Any insight would be most helpful.
frankiebwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2022, 02:19 PM   #2

No need to winterize in heated garage unless heat fails.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebwi View Post
Hello Newmar owners. Each winter we head south somewhere. I need to know if I need to winterize before heading out in the cold. We recently purchased a Ventana 3717. I would like feed back regarding the need to winterize. I store in a heated garage. I understand that the water bay is heated when the temp hits 40 degrees. We have Oasis . Does this fact still have a need to winterize the coach ? We had a Canyon Star and had to winterize every year. I would blow out the lines and it worked great.
If the heat in the bay will protect against freezing, what about the frig, washer and hot water outlet near the generator? Any insight would be most helpful.
I reckon itís going to depend on how long youíll be in the cold and how cold the cold is going to be.

People drive their RVís all the time in cold temps and those folk will probably chime in. I think youíll be ok but it depends on how cold cold is. Have a safe trip south.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:12 AM   #4

Well, why not spend the 5 or 10 minutes and blow out the lines ? That way, if you are on the road and something happens that results in a delay exposed to sub freezing weather, you are covered.
A few years ago, I was heading to Australia for several weeks during Dec/Jan. even though we are in central Florida, I winterized before I left because you never know what the weather may be .
Old 11-24-2022, 07:37 AM   #5

No need to winterize the coach as long as you keep the coach heat on while in weather below 35 degrees. Every year I leave for Florida after Xmas & drive in freezing temps. I set my furnace @ 60 degrees in the coach & it keeps the basement around 50 degrees while driving. I use the dash heater to keep the pilot & Co-pilot comfortable.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:13 AM   #6
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Agree with all the post. But if you want peace of mind, drain the water and blow out all the lines. Then you wonít worry as much if it gets really cold outside.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with Capt Bill. Keep in mind the idea of blowing out the lines only works until you overnight in route and use your plumbing.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:44 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
I have never winterized our DP because the bays are heated, as long as you are running the oasis furnace. My wife and I winter camp, often with lows below 0-F, without any issues. Newmars are one of the best insulated RV on the market and unless you're planning on spending a week or two in sub-0 temps you'll be fine on the drive south.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote