Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #1

Dead batteries

Looking for suggestions. Owner of a 2020 Newmar DutchStar 4369. Leaving on a trip on Sunday and I went to my storage garage to check my coach. I keep it plugged into 110/15 amp to keep the batteries charged. When I got there my plug had at sometime tripped the GFCI and now my batteries to both chassis and house are dead. I reset the plug GFCI and heard the usually click sound on inverter when it’s getting electricity but inside the coach on my panel for inverter it has a red fault light and the charging green light is blinking. LCD screen shows “Dead battery charge” and 1.2 vote. Question: will the red fault clear when batteries are charged and will the trickle charge get them charged enough to start Sunday? Are they charging now since electricity is going in camper and will my generator start without charged battery to charge them? Thank you
GoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #2

A smart inverter/charger will not charge a totally dead battery. This is a safety feature and a good one.

You will need to use a "dumb" charger or jump from your toad, etc to get the battery voltage up to where the smart inverter/charger will take over.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:09 PM   #3

If I put a charger on one of the engine batteries will it charge both since they are pigtailed together? If so, do I turn off the two switches below the batteries before charging? Are these 6 vote batteries?
Old 09-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #4

If (as is likely) the inverter/charger directly charges the house bank, that is the battery bank you need to jump/use a stupid charger on.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #5

Need help after shore GFI tripped

My 2020 DutchStar 4369 is located in my storage garage and is always plugged into a 110/15 amp receptacle to keep the batteries charged. I came over to check on it today for a trip on Sunday and since I was here last time my GFCI had tripped. Both chassis and engine batteries are dead at 1.5 votes. I reset the GFCI but I have red fault codes on inverter and inverter LCD screen on inside panel. I have two engine batteries and want to know if I can put a charger on one to charge it and if this will charge both since they are “pigtailed” together. If advise says yes, I can put a charger on my next question is do I turn both the switches below these batteries to off before charging. Thank you
GoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:50 PM   #6

You can charge the chassis batteries but leave all battery switch on.

Once the chassis battery gets up to 13.4 volts, the bridging solenoid will close and start sending a charge to the house batteries.

Wait an hour or so and plug in or start the generator and let the inverter/charger take over. Much better charger.

Your probably going to have GFCI problems . You may want to use a battery maintainer in the future.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #7

When I did a similar thing six years ago and all batteries were dead, in order to get the bank to charge, I had to separate each battery and put a 25% charge from a "dumb" charger before I could get the whole bank to accept a charge from the inverter/charger. It took awhile, but I saved the batteries.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:18 PM   #8

If you have lead acid batteries, they may be permanently damaged due to a discharge like that.

"...you should never discharge your lead acid battery below 80% of its rated capacity. Discharging it below this point or 10.5 volts can damage it."

https://www.progressivedyn.com/service/battery-basics/
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:22 PM   #9

If the batteries are connected in parallel, then using a 12 volt charger with the positive lead to the positive lead of either battery, and the negative lead to a negative lead of either battery, will charge them both.

If the batteries are connected in series, then you either need a 24 volt charger or 2 chargers, one for each battery.

FWIW - If it was the suppliers GFCI that tripped - GFCI’s in series don’t play nice and it’s generally the supply GFCI that trips.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are my thoughts:
Chassis batteries are wired in parallel so attaching the charger to one will charge both.

On my Ventana there was only one chassis battery disconnect switch so I have no experience with the two switch set up you are describing. My though in general is set the switches to disconnect while you have your external charger on would be best but may not be required.

Regarding the GFCI tripping. When I was on a 15A GFCI at the storage facility for my, Ventana I was able to set the power control system to tell it there was only a 15A power connection. I was also able to set the Magnum charger/inverter AC in to 5A so it would not try to draw a bunch of current to charge the house batteries. THis process worked well for me to keep the GFCI from tripping.
Just George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:46 PM   #11

So, leave the inverter plugged in while charging? I’m afraid this will trip my receptacle as I only have one in my storage garage. Inverter plugged in and 50 amp charger will probably pull to many amps. Your thoughts?
Old 09-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you you jump your chassis batteries off a car? If not, if you connect jump cables to chassis batteries, should give you enough power to start your generator. If your batteries are not toast, the generator will charge your house batteries and once full will then trickle to your chassis batteries. You will know this within a couple of hours.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:05 PM   #13

I bought a 40 amp 6/12 vote charger with a 200 amp starter capability. Newmar emailed me the diagram for attaching the alligator clips to the bank of eight, 6 vote house batteries. There is an order to which battery gets the positive clip and which one gets the negative clip. Battery charger confirmed I was at 1.2 votes charged in battery bank. Once I plugged in the charger it read my voltage as 1.2 and the charger went into boost mode. All I can say is that in 15 minutes my batteries were at 14.2 and my inverter gauge inside the Coach was at absorb charging and inverting. My chassis batteries are still dead and these are two 12 vote batteries. I’m not sure if overnight the inverter will trickle enough power to charge them since Coach is back plugged into house receptacle but if it doesn’t I will try my boost button on my dash to pull votes from my house batteries to start the engine. I would like to put the charger on the chassis batteries and boost them in under 15 minutes but I’m uncertain the sequence for correct placement of the alligator clips.
I want to thank everyone for their response in my time of need!
Old 09-17-2021, 10:10 PM   #14

Thank you for your resolution! Much appreciated.

Tags
batteries, need help