Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2022, 01:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Need help from you Newmar Owners.....

Im looking to buy a 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire on a Spartan chassis. I asked the seller for the VIN to run a check. He provided me the vin for the chassis. When I run a vin check, it just comes up with an incomplete vehicle report. He sent me a pic of the title, and it has the same vin. Any idea how to run a check on it??? Thanks
kmmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2022, 01:55 PM   #2

Need help from you Newmar Owners.....

Carfax won’t show a whole lot usually…..but better than nothing.

What I would value more is if the seller had maintenance and repair documentation.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Im not concerned with what any report says. Im concerned the the title is from Washington. Im in Arizona. The washington title has the chassis vin. When I run a check, i get absolutely nothing referencing Newmar, just an incomplete Spartan chassis. Most rv's that Ive owned used the final completed coach vin number from the coach, not the chassis. I just dont want a hassle at the DMV if they expect the coach vin on the out of state title. Could turn into a nightmare.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmech View Post
Im not concerned with what any report says. Im concerned the the title is from Washington. Im in Arizona. The washington title has the chassis vin. When I run a check, i get absolutely nothing referencing Newmar, just an incomplete Spartan chassis. Most rv's that Ive owned used the final completed coach vin number from the coach, not the chassis. I just dont want a hassle at the DMV if they expect the coach vin on the out of state title. Could turn into a nightmare.

The chassis VIN is the coach VIN. The incomplete chassis part is only because that's how it's built by Newmar. That VIN is the Newmar VIN and you'll never be able to look up anything about it. Newmar uses a coach ID but that's not used by any DMV, nor would you be able to look it up online. When it leaves the factory, Newmar provides the Certificate of Origin (I think that's what it's called?) with the RV so the incomplete chassis can be registered as an RV. Once it's registered as an RV somewhere, you just show the last registration to prove it was registered as an RV.

The only nightmare would be an RV manufacturer rewriting the chassis VIN on all the modules, parts, software and registrations. You'd never be able to find parts for it again.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
To further the above, if you look at my vehicle title, it’s listed as a Freightliner.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Im looking to buy a 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire on a Spartan chassis. I asked the seller for the VIN to run a check. He provided me the vin for the chassis. When I run a vin check, it just comes up with an incomplete vehicle report. He sent me a pic of the title, and it has the same vin. Any idea how to run a check on it??? Thanks

You can call Cummins and use that vin#. They can tell you any service they have performed on it.
Spartan can do the same.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know if the chassis vin is anywhere inside the coach? A dmv agent here in AZ told me they wont go under to the chassis to find it. It must be easily accessible and permanently affixed.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:00 PM   #8

Ours is a 2022 Mountain Aire, but the chassis Vin# is on the inside of the kitchen cabinet door above the sink.
Olbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbie View Post
Ours is a 2022 Mountain Aire, but the chassis Vin# is on the inside of the kitchen cabinet door above the sink.
If I remember correctly, I believe mine is also stamped on a plate affixed to the radiator.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:24 PM   #10

How about calling Newmar for clarification and where your VIN is located?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
How about calling Newmar for clarification and where your VIN is located?
I considered that, but assumed since it was Sunday they wouldnt answer the phone and I thought this would be a good place to ask before I leave at 4am to drive 4 hours to look at it. The seller couldnt recall and he's further away from the storage where the coach is at than I am.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:46 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Does anyone know if the chassis vin is anywhere inside the coach? A dmv agent here in AZ told me they wont go under to the chassis to find it. It must be easily accessible and permanently affixed.
On my 01 DSDP there is a sticker by the driver's seat, on the wal, that has the tire pressures and vin#.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #13

Our 2013 has two VIN plates easily seen in the engine compartment plus one in a kitchen cabinet and on the wall behind the driver's seat. One or more should be easily seen.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:19 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Same as Ionfu. DSDP 04
Bld #602376
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, newmar