Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

Need help locating/identifying awning light strip controller or fuse

My '13 Ventana 3434 has a multi-color LED light strip mounted under the main awning on the sidewall. It looks like the Dometic ones they sell at Camping World, and has a wireless RF remote w/ telescoping antenna. I'm the coach's 2nd owner and the LED strip was already installed when I bought it, so I don't know if Newmar, the PO, or a 3rd party installed it. The LED power leads disappear into the sidewall behind the front awning mount above the interior roofline, so I'm inclined to think it was an OEM install.

Today after retrieving the the coach from storage and having it washed, I noticed the LED strip was turned on in "color cycle" mode, and I can't turn it off. I didn't notice if it was on before the wash or not, so I don't know for sure if it's a water-related issue or not. Regardless, I tried turning it off with the remote, but none of the buttons change anything. I checked the battery voltage in the remote and it's showing 12.1V (says it's a 12V battery), but there's no light to indicate if the remote's actually transmitting or not and the little green LED on it lights up when I press the buttons (so small I missed it earlier in the sun). The remote has worked in the past though.

So far I've looked at the fuse panels above the dash, in the run bay, and in the power cord compartment, but have not been able to identify the fuse for the strip. I don't think there are any other fuse panels, but have I missed any? If it's a factory install, would it even have its own fuse or is it tapped off a different circuit? I haven't tried just pulling each fuse until the strip turns off, but it might come to that...

Also, I can't find anything that looks like a controller for the strip. I tried unplugging the awning controller (you never know), but that didn't turn them off. Does anyone have a picture of the control box?

At this point I just want the darned things to turn off. The pulsing disco colors are gonna get real old real fast this weekend if I can't shut them off...
PantherJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

Well I just solved one mystery at least. The LED strip is powered from the living room light circuit. So no just pulling the fuse, unless I want no ceiling lights in the living room.

Also, I got up on a ladder to look for the strip connection. Found it, and it's just a crappy little plastic connector like for a computer fan. No weatherproofing, and there's corrosion on the pins & connector contacts. On the plus side, I now see the wires don't enter the coach sidewall up above like I thought - rather they go down inside the awning mount and probably go in where the main awning wiring goes.

So I disconnected the LED strip, wire-tied the wiring to the upper awning mounting bracket so it doesn't disappear down inside the mounting arm, and I'll worry about it after the weekend trip. Still curious if anyone has a picture of the control box. But at least the lights are off now, and I know where the wires *really* go so I can trace stuff down.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good luck Brian, not many had this problem will add to QT's # 3 PROBLEM SOLVING when resolved.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

PantherJeep. I custom ordered my '13 3434 and the LED strips were not an option. It must have been installed by the previous owner as after market.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #5

Lass, thanks for the info! A pity that, though - it'd be nice to just ring up the helpful folks in Nappanee and ask them were to find the control box...

007, I'll be sure to update this thread once I have the issue corrected. Might be a little while, but I'll dig around on it when I'm back home on Monday. Once I locate the control box and correct the issue, I'll include some photos of the components in question. At the very least, I think I'm going to replace the crappy strip connectors with something more weather-tolerant. The connectors it currently has are entirely unsuited to the application.

Tags
light, fuse, awning, need help, cat