Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
ET

I have a 2002 DSDP 350 Cummins on a Spartan Chassis. The Transmission Temp gage is not reading correctly. When starting up the coach this morning all gages went into Diagnostic mode as usual but the Trans gage red light stayed on and the temp shows at around 230. The coach was cold so it's obvious there is a problem with the gage or sensor to the gage. Is there anyway to reset it?

I've turned the coach off and on and have driven it a few miles but nothing changes. I'm on the road but will be stopping shortly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
ET

I have a 2002 DSDP 350 Cummins on a Spartan Chassis. The Transmission Temp gage is not reading correctly. When starting up the coach this morning all gages went into Diagnostic mode as usual but the Trans gage red light stayed on and the temp shows at around 230. The coach was cold so it's obvious there is a problem with the gage or sensor to the gage. Is there anyway to reset it?

I've turned the coach off and on and have driven it a few miles but nothing changes. I'm on the road but will be stopping shortly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-29-2007, 04:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Did you check all your fluids.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:56 AM   #4
ET

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by read & learn:
Did you check all your fluids. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure did!

I spoke to Spartan and they suggested calling back on the third to have them fax over wiring diagram from gage to sensor. There is nothing to reset according to them.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #5

Sounds like the wiring may have gone to ground or a failed sensor. Either way, it won't be an expensive repair.

Peter
Old 12-29-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
ET

Thanks Peter...

I sure hope so.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #7

I don't know for sure about this system, but most of the temp. sensors I have worked on were a variable resistance to ground. So, as Peter said a short to ground would cause your temp. gauge to peg.
The first thing I would do is disconnect the wire where it attaches to the sensor. If your gauge goes to zero it is the sensor. If the gauge stays pegged it is in the wiring between the sensor & the gauge.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
ET

The gage didn't actually peg, (temp shows steady at 230 with the ability to read from 100 up to 350.) The red diagnostic/warning light is also staying on. My biggest worry is that the tranny goes into limp mode thinking something is wrong. I only drove it 65 miles today and will bring it back home New Years Day. Thanks for your input as well.

By the way... Nice Toads...brings me back to my racing days in Detroit! Mid 60's thru early 70's were great years for Muscle Cars! 63 Falcon running E Hotrod, 69 Cobra 428, and can we say 1970 "Real Hemi" Cuda.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
ET

Still needing help with original problem. My 02 Dutch Star has an idiot light for the tranny, (socket with !,) as well as the temperature gage. The Allison 3000MH transmission does have a sensor but it's inside the tranny under the value body. My background suggests that it's not the sensor if one works properly, (light,) and one doesn't, (temp gage.) Any other thoughts on this? Has anyone ever had a problem with one of their gages connected by the daisy chain wiring?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Someone suggested to removed the wire to trans temp gage. Have you done that.
Your already reading 230 on cold engine, something is short.
If the light goes out I would say its the gage if it stays on the wire may be short to ground on frame or some other location.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
ET

Thanks 007 for your reply.

I've tried unplugging and plugging the gage wires with no change. There are 2 red lights. The red idiot light and the red light inside and at the bottom of the trans temp gage. When you turn on the ignition switch waiting for the glow plugs the idiot lights come on as well as the gages red lights while going into diagnostic mode. Once you crank the engine and it fires up all idiot lights go out as well as all red lights in the gages with the exception of the trans temp gage. If the sensor is bad or producing a false reading because of grounding, one would think that the idiot light would also stay on as well. I truly believe that the gage has developed a problem and not the sensor. I'm going to call the gage manufacturer and see if there is a way to test or reset it.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Each light would have a different feed the temp would come from the trans gage and idiot light from the control board for dash panel I would think. Ground is the same the world around but lights are from two different sources.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:00 AM   #13
ET

That's correct but there is only one sensor in the tranny according to Allison, the one under the valve body and that's where both would get their information from. We've look for other sensors around the tranny but couldn't find any. When I call the gage manufacturer I'll ask where they take their feed from. From what I've heard the sensor is fed to the computer and everything else pulls from it. That makes sense but I don't know that to be absolutely true.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
ET

I just spoke with AmeTek Dixson who is the gage manufacturer and discussed my problem. They believe it's the gage itself, putting itself into a false test gauge mode. He stated that if one or more of the brass finger contacts inside the gage is not making a good contact the gage would read off center and the diagnostic light would remain on. He went on to say that their gage package is tied into an interface module which should be attached to the frame rail. He explained to me how to remove and disassemble the gage to see if I can realign these 5 brass fingers.