Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #1

Need help transfer switch!!!

2015 Dutchstar and a month ago transfer switch would not engage. Replaced it and all well until today, same issue. Any suggestions as we have no way to charge batteries to keep the frig running except running the engine for a few hours each day. We are thankfully at a resort and staying in a hotel as no a/c or anything else as generator will not supply power because of the transfer switch. Shore power line shows line status error. We need to head out by Sunday and in The mountains Of Virginia with no RV repair anywhere near.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E93DE9C7-DF51-4C56-A8EE-09FFB49455E4.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	343210  
Alberts46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #2

remove the transfer switch cover- take your electrical meter & see if you have power to it? Do you have a Glendinning power cord reel? If yes- have you been adjusting cord length while plugged into shore power? Never do this as it causes contacts in reel to ark. If you don't have any power coming in from shore power connection- unplug & adjust your power cord a few feet longer- reconnect to shore power & see if you have power? If so, you have a bad spot in your reel contact strips- this will require a rebuild by Glendinning- to be able to use it in the mean time- unplug & disconnect the reel wires, remove the power cord from the reel & connect them( 3 wires plus ground) direct to the transfer switch. This will keep you going while they rebuild the power reel contacts & rings- I shipped mine via UPS directly to them & they took about a week to rebuild it.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:11 PM   #3

I don’t believe this applies to ours.**We have no power on Gen side via transfer switch.**Very evident because the switch will not stay engaged.
I am unable to test full shore power because we don’t have 50amp service at the time. We are parked in a lot with no electricity available.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:41 AM   #4

Have you checked the breaker on the generator?

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #5

Yes, checked that first.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #6

Unfortunately I have replaced 2 transfer switches in three years, I solved the issue by placing a built in surge protector in-line, have not had any more issues. I did however always have generator power???
ddowntown is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, transfer switch, switch