Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

Need help with 12v problem

We have been home from Florida for about six weeks. When we returned home I put the mh in barn and plugged it in to shore power. I have been in the coach several times since we returned and interior lights worked fine. Went out their today and no 12v power. Put a meter on batteries and they are down to 10v even though the coach has been continually plugged in. All plugs work. I tried using an external battery charger but it said battery voltage too low to charge. The four lead acid house batteries are only two years old. I cleaned all battery connections but still won't charge. Checked the circuit breaker on inverter/charger and it is fine. Any way to save the relatively new batteries? How do I determine what caused the inverter/charger to stop charging the batteries? Before we left Florida I put meter on the batteries and the we're getting 13.6 volts when plugged in. The chassis batteries were also down to 12.1 volts but I was able to charge them with an an external charger. I have owned the coach for 10 yrs and have never had a problem like this before. Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry for the long post.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

I assume you checked the water level in the house batteries? I would start by having the batteries load tested because in my opinion, you have at least one bad cell causing the problem.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You may have a bad converter.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If wet cell batteries you can check each cell by dipping one voltmeter lead into the electrolyte. If no change from a cell to the next that's a bad cell. If all ok, try a small amperage charger to bring them up. Once you get them up you can load test them and check specific gravity.

As for the converter charging the batteries, ensure all fuses and breakers are good / not tripped. Got 120vac going into the converter? Got 12vdc out? Got 12vdc out with load disconnected? Etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Disconnect the bank of batteries and test/charge them one at a time - one bad battery could drain/hold down the entire bank.
P.S. Mark the leads you take off so you can get it back together right.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

This is probably a stupid question, but you did have your store/use switch in the use position, right? Batteries won't charge in store position.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Disconnect the bank of batteries and test/charge them one at a time - one bad battery could drain/hold down the entire bank.
P.S. Mark the leads you take off so you can get it back together right.

Take a few photos with a digital camera or a cell phone before starting any work. It can really help later.

Trusty source of 12 volt info:

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto to post #5........sounds like a shorted cell in one battery.....Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you read 13.6 v in FL. with it plugged in now what are you reading?
You can read charging voltage off the battery cut off switch when on which would be your converter charge.
You can read voltage same place with shore line unplugged and will read batteries.
If you can read 13.6, converter OK if not may be failed converter.
May read low voltage off inverter display but you can still charge with stand alone battery charger on your house batteries, had that happen yesterday when we picked up coach to drive and all batteries were dead over winter but eventually started to come back on charger and we jumper the coach batteries to start the coach.
Will take some time to recharge 5.5 low batteries.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #10

007- when I put a meter on the pos and neg leads going to the battery bank it reads 10v. There is power to the inverter/charger as the green bat temp light is on. I tried to hook up an external charger but it said batts to low to charge. Water level in all batts good. Use/store switch is on. I get no reading on meter over dash that gives you status of inverter and batts. It is off and won't turn on.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tiger, we got the same thing with all the batteries that were dead yesterday no reading of on -off switch display unless you held it on and got a short reading.
Direct reading on ours were 5.5 house and 10 v two chassis batteries.
We kept charging with the converter and had jumpers between chassis and car.
The 8 house batteries are still low even after we drove the coach home but chassis batteries are now up where they belong, have to get power from house tomorrow on this coach a MADP I am holding for someone.
I am going to remove 4 of the house and see if I can get remaining 4 charged tomorrow, will see how that works out.
If you put your battery charger on the house battery lugs even while its reading low charge, what do the battery lugs read while charger is hooked up?
If you can not get any response with the battery cut off or on may have a bad solenoid that will not operate with the low voltage.
The battery ground cables to chassis frame are clean and tight you say.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #12

007. I cleaned and tightened all terminals in the battery compartment, I will check the chassis ground. Thanks
Old 05-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Each battery bank will have its own battery cable for ground to frame maybe separate or together.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #14

Something weird (and good) just happened, I turned the ignition key on and off and all the 12volt stuff came on. Lights, monitor panel over dash and the batteries are getting a 14.1 bulk charge! Hallelujah !! I am wondering if the battery isolator switch is sticking ? Anyway, what a relief. I still need to trouble shoot what caused this. Thanks for everyone's help especially 007.

Tags
need help