RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Need help with dash AC control knobs

I just had to have my 2015 DS dash air conditioner worked on because compressor clutch was not engaging. Conclusion was that Freightliner had put only 1/2 the freon in the system so compressor would not engage. I thought I had used the AC last summer but undoubtedly it was never blowing cold air and probably the reason I had to use roof airs to keep cool driving down the road.

Now my question. The heater/AC control knob (far right hand knob) is all off when pointing up to 12:00. Going counterclockwise is Vent (outside air), then AC (the compressor is running), and at the bottom is Max Air (compressor is running).

Going clockwise from the "Off" position is Upper/Lower air (which I always assumed was outside fresh air) but today I realized the air conditioner had been running all day when at this position (probably over 8 hours driving with the engine unnecessarily pulling the compressor). Next is Lower air only and the compressor isn't running in this position. Then is Lower air/Defroster with compressor running and last is Defroster only with the compressor running.

Very similar to my Wrangler the only time the air conditioner should be working is "AC", "Max Air", and the two "Defroster" settings.

I've tried finding the description of these heater/AC control knobs in the Newmar and Freightliner manuals but nothing in either.

Is my dash knobs working as they should be, or did the shop somehow cross some wires some place making the AC compressor run when it shouldn't be?

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I just had to have my 2015 DS dash air conditioner worked on because compressor clutch was not engaging. Conclusion was that Freightliner had put only 1/2 the freon in the system so compressor would not engage. I thought I had used the AC last summer but undoubtedly it was never blowing cold air and probably the reason I had to use roof airs to keep cool driving down the road.

Now my question. The heater/AC control knob (far right hand knob) is all off when pointing up to 12:00. Going counterclockwise is Vent (outside air), then AC (the compressor is running), and at the bottom is Max Air (compressor is running).

Going clockwise from the "Off" position is Upper/Lower air (which I always assumed was outside fresh air) but today I realized the air conditioner had been running all day when at this position (probably over 8 hours driving with the engine unnecessarily pulling the compressor). Next is Lower air only and the compressor isn't running in this position. Then is Lower air/Defroster with compressor running and last is Defroster only with the compressor running.

Very similar to my Wrangler the only time the air conditioner should be working is "AC", "Max Air", and the two "Defroster" settings.

I've tried finding the description of these heater/AC control knobs in the Newmar and Freightliner manuals but nothing in either.

Is my dash knobs working as they should be, or did the shop somehow cross some wires some place making the AC compressor run when it shouldn't be?
Sounds like a normally functioning Evans Tempcon control. Mine does the same thing, I investigated it several years ago and found out they designed it that way. I would much prefer Upper/Lower to have the compressor off.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

I agree whole heartedly with your last sentence, but guess they didn't ask us did they? This means we can't have Upper/Lower heat circulation in the winter without the compressor running, which I usually use this way more than during cooling.
Thanks for helping me realize I'm not batty, which I may reach that point before getting this coach all worked out.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Your AC control is working A OK , the 1 o'clock position is Bi-Level, so the compressor will be ON. Go to the Evanstempcon.com site to read up on the
subject.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

Wagon Master when you say not blowingg old air about what temp were you getting out? Was it just hot air or just not very cold? I have this on my list for Newmar as well.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I concur with above. My E-T owner's manual describes the mode functions exactly as you have.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
Wagon Master when you say not blowingg old air about what temp were you getting out? Was it just hot air or just not very cold? I have this on my list for Newmar as well.
I guess I must not have been using the coach in very hot weather and was only getting outside temperature air out of the AC vents. And if the weather was even remotely warm I was probably using the roof airs with the gen and what I thought was dash air conditioning was just the dash fan circulating the roof AC"s cool air.

I e-mailed Newmar and asked who, Newmar or Freightliner, would fix the dash air. I got a call the next day from Newmar with a FL rep also on the phone and the suggestion was to take it to a FL shop. This I did, and the tech informed me the system only had about 1/2 the amount of freon so the low pressure switch (think that's what he referred to) was keeping the compressor from running. He filled the system and checked for leaks with a sniffer, none to be found. So the conclusion was that FL only partially filled the system and I probably have never had dash air since i purchased the coach last June.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I came in from a trip last Jan.The temperature was about 30.When I pulled into my driveway the ac compressor locked.I cut the belt and made a couple more trips.
When it warmed up I replaced the compressor and noticed it was running anytime the fan was turned on.I do not want it to run all the time.Now I unhook the compressor when it is warm.I do let it run every month or two.Mine is an Evans also.
Doyle nd Peggy
1999 Country Coach,2013 Silverado
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #9
Rd1

wagonmaster2, thats how they come from FL, I had an Endeavor(FL) prior to Ventanna and they worked exactly as you describe. As others have suggested, I too wish the compressor only worked in the AC settings.

Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, need help