Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Need help with right rear tag axle seal

My 2015 Dutch Star shows the right tag wheel spinning fluid out from under the large hub. My question is which way do I need to turn the hub to remove it and has anyone ever replaced the seal on the axle before. Any advice is much appreciated. I've included a couple of pic's to show what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200522_112021.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	836.9 KB
ID:	286468   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200522_112134.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	832.4 KB
ID:	286469  

Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Not a Newmar owner, but you may of been given a wrench to loosen large nut with “Newmar” logo. A couple of clicks counter-clockwise and it will turn out and you will be able to remove chrome cap.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fox View Post
Not a Newmar owner, but you may of been given a wrench to loosen large nut with “Newmar” logo. A couple of clicks counter-clockwise and it will turn out and you will be able to remove chrome cap.
Thanks, no wrench but I'll be going back to the coach to check it out.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #4

Remember not to over fill with gear oil. Only add to the add line which is were it should be when checking if not warm. Make sure the cover is on tight not off center.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #5

There is a hub wrench. Check the file case with the Newmar info in it. Behind the hub cap you will find a red rubber stopper in the hub center and a clear plastic window to see the oil level for the bearings. If the hub was overfilled it will spit oil out as shown by the oil on the rim. The red rubber plug may need changing also.
dutchstar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for your input. I didn't realiaze that the Newmar Cap on the end of the large chrome hub on the tag was the way to unscrew and then remove the entire hub. I got this one used, second owner, and there wasn't the wrench everyone was talking about. I just came back from my coach and used one of those Harbor Freight universal rubber strap and plastic handle tools and got the Newmar logo loose and turned typical counter clockwise to spin it off. Once off the large hub came off. To my surprise the main axle hub was dry, no gear oil on it and the oil level was right on point as well. The vent cap on the side of the hub was not completely snug and my gut is telling me that the wheel might have had that vent cap upside down and some oil leaked out. In either case I cleaned up the wheel and when I finally get to take it out again I'll be checking it once more. I also called Newmar but the parts dept was closed today for inventory and of course Monday as well. I'll order that wrench so I'll have it in the future.

Once again, Thanks everyone for your quick responses!!!

Just ordered from Freightliner the Wrench, Part number 22-71625-000, $18.65 shipped.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:42 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Again, not a Newmar owner, but pretty sure the red plug is not how you add oil. I believe there is a drain/fill plug, probably Allen screw. As mentioned earlier, do not fill too much, but I would suspect your gasket may be bad or bolts aren’t torqued properly.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:52 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fox View Post
Again, not a Newmar owner, but pretty sure the red plug is not how you add oil. I believe there is a drain/fill plug, probably Allen screw. As mentioned earlier, do not fill too much, but I would suspect your gasket may be bad or bolts aren’t torqued properly.
There wasn't a red plug. There is a black cap mounted within the clear window of the hub as well as a fill or possibly vent screw in cap that has edges you can use to tighten and I also believe it has an allen slot in it's top. That was Not completely tight. Fill level was perfect and everything was clean on the hub itself. I hand tightened it real good after checking the rubber seal to make sure it was in good shape and cleaned the wheel. Next time I take off the chrome hub I'll take pictures of it for reference down the road.

Just looked up maintanance manual and it shows the fill plug is in the center of the clear hub window and the drain is the plastic screw cap with an Allen socket in the middle.

Thanks Tim
Old 05-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #9

We had some minor seepage on several of ours during the first 6-8K miles. Oil levels were at of just slightly above the full mark when I checked them. Everything seemed tight and no further oil seepage @ about 20K miles so I think they were just overfilled when new.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
We had some minor seepage on several of ours during the first 6-8K miles. Oil levels were at of just slightly above the full mark when I checked them. Everything seemed tight and no further oil seepage @ about 20K miles so I think they were just overfilled when new.
Mine has 25k on it and didn't have that issue before. I did just have it serviced but I don't think they did anything to the fluid levels. Spoke with a Freightliner rep today and he felt it might have been the drain screw cap being a bit lose, (it wasn't fully snug when I checked it.) I explained to him I didn't see any fluid on the actual hub or hub sight window. Once I drive it again I'll be watching for a leak again.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Red plug black plug it does not matter. But that plug regardless of the colour is where you fill.
Only fill to add mark when cold.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, seal