Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 58
Send a message via AIM to DSRamblers Send a message via MSN to DSRamblers Send a message via Yahoo to DSRamblers
Need kitchen slide motor for 2018 Dutch Star

My front kitchen slide motor has the bottom two bolts loose and they will not tighten to 19 ft. lbs torque(5/16 bolt). I feel that they are stripped. I took them out and put blue loctite on them but they will not torque to the 19 ft. lbs. Newmar wants $719.00 for that one motor. Does anyone know the proper part # and where is a good place to buy a motor that will fit Newmar specs.??? I feel that the price wanted by Newmar is a rip-off. I think I have read in the past that these motors should be in the $300 plus price range. Thank you for your response!!!
DSRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
zman62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRamblers View Post
My front kitchen slide motor has the bottom two bolts loose and they will not tighten to 19 ft. lbs torque(5/16 bolt). I feel that they are stripped. I took them out and put blue loctite on them but they will not torque to the 19 ft. lbs. Newmar wants $719.00 for that one motor. Does anyone know the proper part # and where is a good place to buy a motor that will fit Newmar specs.??? I feel that the price wanted by Newmar is a rip-off. I think I have read in the past that these motors should be in the $300 plus price range. Thank you for your response!!!

Put a helicoil in it. Will save you 700$
__________________
Kert and Angela
2021 Cornerstone F
2018 Ford F350
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 58
Send a message via AIM to DSRamblers Send a message via MSN to DSRamblers Send a message via Yahoo to DSRamblers
Do not have the time or talent to remove the motor to put a heli coil in it before leaving on my trip.
DSRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ThunderRidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Winter: Fort Wilderness Campground
Posts: 350
Then I think you will be paying Newmars price. I tried going directly to the manufacturer and it was a no go.
__________________
Paul, Cathy and Chocolate Lab, RIO
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4362 (Spartan)
2012 Ford F-150
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Put a helicoil in it. Will save you 700$
Helicoil’s are easy. Lots of videos on YouTube to show you how to install.

https://youtu.be/zAXVvhpnuUU
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #6
Member
 
xbcsutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 91
Install studs with JBWeld epoxy, use the fancy nuts described in the longer fix posts. May work forever...
__________________
'15 Newmar DS3736 on Freightliner
'06 National Surfside 34D
'12 Honda Fit Toad
xbcsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:48 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,021
Not real easy to change the slide out motors. Would be quicker, cheaper and easier to use the other suggestions mentioned in this post. One other suggestion would be to run a 3/8 by 16 tap in those two stripped holes. Right now they are 5/16. You would need to get 2 3/8 by 16 1 inch long bolts for the 2 re-tapped holes.
Newmar Man
__________________
Tom/Teri 16031 NKK 117995 FMCA
18 London Aire 4531 Spartan K-3 605
97-04 LA 04-18 Essex 2018 London Aire
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
PandS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Not real easy to change the slide out motors. Would be quicker, cheaper and easier to use the other suggestions mentioned in this post. One other suggestion would be to run a 3/8 by 16 tap in those two stripped holes. Right now they are 5/16. You would need to get 2 3/8 by 16 1 inch long bolts for the 2 re-tapped holes.
Newmar Man

First, he would need to drill out the old threads with a 5/16 drill. It could be done, if he was careful.
If you go this route, be sure to blow out the holes really well before and after tapping, and clean with brake cleaner, then blow them out again before installing the new bolts. The correct torque value for the 3/8-16 bolts is 33 ft/lbs.-Paul
__________________
2017 Ventana 4369
towing a 2013 Honda CRV
PandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,021
Paul When I have repaired slide out motor stripped bolts I have found that because you are going into aluminum you can use the 3/8 tab without running a 5/16 drill through the hole. But if you did want to use a drill you could used a angel drill motor and still do it.
Newman Man
__________________
Tom/Teri 16031 NKK 117995 FMCA
18 London Aire 4531 Spartan K-3 605
97-04 LA 04-18 Essex 2018 London Aire
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
PandS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Paul When I have repaired slide out motor stripped bolts I have found that because you are going into aluminum you can use the 3/8 tab without running a 5/16 drill through the hole. But if you did want to use a drill you could used a angel drill motor and still do it.
Newman Man

Just the Machinist in me coming out, I guess. -Paul
__________________
2017 Ventana 4369
towing a 2013 Honda CRV
PandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dutch star, motor, slide, slide motor



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dutch Star :: 2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 Bulldog47 iRV2 Owners Registry 0 01-18-2019 08:25 AM
Newmar Dutch Star :: 2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 rvdivers iRV2 Owners Registry 0 01-11-2019 05:32 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.