Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Need opinion replacing Refrigerator or not??

As you can see below we have a 1999 dsdp. The Refrigerator does not work, I am told it need a new coil. According to the mechanic the coil was replaced 2005 but needs replaced again. When we open the frig door there is rust along the bottom. Not sure how bad it is. He is telling us just to replace the coil (cost 750.00). I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and replace the entire frig. You guys have an opinion either way?? Thanks a lot. The frig is 15 years old!
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I would not put any more money in that one. Also ,I would consider a residential one.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ron & Kerrie,
This is another vote for the residential refrigerator. Get the largest one that can fit in the general area of the current refrigerator. Don't be afraid of a little customization (wood working) to get one to fit. It will be worth it. There is an added expense of at least 4 coach batteries and at least a 2K WATT inverter. You will not regret it.

When the time comes (maybe before) this is what I will do.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree. More and more RVers are opting for a residential model. The Samsung (190?) seems to be a popular choice for many.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As you can see a gas abortion fridge is expensive you maybe able to get a residential a lot cheaper.
If you just travel between camp grounds and have power at home base you may not need extra batteries and inverter the res-fridge will hold the cold pretty well between destinations.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #6

On the flip side of the coin, if you do much "dry camping" a Gas Absorption Refrigerator may be exactly what you need. Have you looked into the Amish built refrigerator coils? I don't know what brand you have (I suspect Dometic) but here is a link to the Amish coils.
Dometic Cooling Units (Amish Built Brand-new) - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry yes it is a Dometic frig. We don't do a lot of camping. More traveling Thanks for all the help appreciate it
Old 12-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Absorbption Refrigerator Vs. Domestic (Electric-AC)

The bottom line for this question is "What do YOU want and how much trouble do you want to go to, to satisfy that desire (Usually translates to how much money do you want to spend). If you just want your refrigerator to refrigerate with the least trouble and cost, then replacing the complete refrigeration unit is a very reasonable option ( I've replaced several over the years.) Consider these things: (1) You wouldn't put new tires on a car that is completely worn out, so don't put a new refrigeration unit in a cabinet that is rusted out or worn out (doors, gaskets, paint, etc.). Your judgement!! (2) There are as many sources for "rebuilt" refrigeration units as there are for "overhauled" car engines and as much variation. Some motors are "overhauled" with a new thick oil change and some refrigeration units are "overhauled" with patching a leak as opposed to replacing the portions of the unit subject to leaks (Ammonia is very corrosive to steel). Check out the rebuilders close to you unless you are going to replace it yourself and then distance doesn't matter. Ask smart questions before your buy and check their reviews on line. Some rebuilt units are actually superior to the OEM unit and almost ALWAYS cheaper. (3) All electric units are the BUZZ WORDS of the RV industry. Manufacturers have to have something new to sell. All electric RV"s have certain appeal to a segment of RV buyers. Much better to have it built all electric than to convert. Can be converted successfully, usually with much labor (and cost) but usually better to have reputable company do the work. Again, what do you want. It all can be had for money. Everything in an RV is a compromise. Absorption and electric refrigerators are no exception. Conversion to all electric has its own set of considerations.
JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #9

Ron,

Like lots of others, I recommend the residential upgrade, and like most of those, I went with the Samsung 197.

I have the same model coach as Gary KD, and last year I pulled our NorCold out and did the mods to install the Samsung. Yes, it cost about two grand, but we have no regrets at all. We did not have to upgrade the batteries (four 6V) or inverter (Xantrex 2K MSW). I run the refrigerator on a circuit from the inverter, so that it automatically switches from shore to inverter to generator seamlessly.

We liked it so much that when we got back last year we got a larger Samsung for our house. DW loves it!

Yes, it's a pain to do the mod, but lots of us have done it and consider it worth it.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #10

I too replaced my Norcold with a Samsung RF 197. Didn't add any additional batteries or inverter. The existing four 6v batteries and Xantrex inverter work fine but I do not do a lot of dry camping. Did the work myself and total cost was about $1200 bucks. Looks like a factory install. Best mod we have ever done. Like others have said, don't throw good money at a dead horse.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
Ron,

Like lots of others, I recommend the residential upgrade, and like most of those, I went with the Samsung 197.

I have the same model coach as Gary KD, and last year I pulled our NorCold out and did the mods to install the Samsung. Yes, it cost about two grand, but we have no regrets at all. We did not have to upgrade the batteries (four 6V) or inverter (Xantrex 2K MSW). I run the refrigerator on a circuit from the inverter, so that it automatically switches from shore to inverter to generator seamlessly.

We liked it so much that when we got back last year we got a larger Samsung for our house. DW loves it!

Yes, it's a pain to do the mod, but lots of us have done it and consider it worth it.

Tom
Tom, I noticed you put a modified sine wave inverter in yours. I would only recommend anyone to install a pure sine wave inverter only! The modified sine wave inverter may cause issues eventually with the control board of the frig. Also it will definately detiorate the micro wave board also. This is characterized by slowly getting noisier when operating on the inverter.

Peter
Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
As you can see below we have a 1999 dsdp. The Refrigerator does not work, I am told it need a new coil. According to the mechanic the coil was replaced 2005 but needs replaced again. When we open the frig door there is rust along the bottom. Not sure how bad it is. He is telling us just to replace the coil (cost 750.00). I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and replace the entire frig. You guys have an opinion either way?? Thanks a lot. The frig is 15 years old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
On the flip side of the coin, if you do much "dry camping" a Gas Absorption Refrigerator may be exactly what you need. Have you looked into the Amish built refrigerator coils? I don't know what brand you have (I suspect Dometic) but here is a link to the Amish coils.
Dometic Cooling Units (Amish Built Brand-new) - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse
Ron & Kerrie
Here's another link to a replacement absorption refrigeration option, (LP & 120VAC).
RV Cooling Unit Warehouse LLC Home Page
I have seen good reviews of those "Amish replacement" coils.
Mel
'96 Safari, 143k miles, (with the original working Norcold).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks a lot you guys. I think I'm going to replace the frig. Now I have to figure out if its worth spending more money and get a Residential or RV frig. Thanks for all your help. I'm going to scrap the idea of just replacing the cooling unit.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #14

Two years ago I replaced the cooling unit on a Norcold in my 2004 Windsor with an Amish Built Cooler & it worked great.
Cooled the freezer to 0 & fridge to 36 with no problem.

Tags
refrigerator