Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #15

Following
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2021, 09:52 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoolchefs View Post
Thanks! going to do that straight away...it clicks if it switches, correct?
Here is a video of the ATS and what it does. Hopefully it will help you when testing it to see if it's the problem. When the video shows the generator side HOT, make sure your shore power is off when testing the leads at the top of the switches to make sure they are reading current from your generator, not a possible stuck Shore power switch, which would also indicate that the gen side of the switch is working as well.

Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #17

DS411. Great video.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:43 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I could be all wrong on this, and showing my age, does the coach have a transfer switch?? In the olden days, there was a plug for the generator where your shore cord is. You had to physically plug your shore cord into a generator plug on the compartment wall. The owner's coach being a DP, I am probably wrong, but something to look at. Of course, I like tube radios; DEF is a hearing issue and gel coat keeps you warm in the Winter!
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:48 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car1 View Post
I could be all wrong on this, and showing my age, does the coach have a transfer switch?? In the olden days, there was a plug for the generator where your shore cord is. You had to physically plug your shore cord into a generator plug on the compartment wall. The owner's coach being a DP, I am probably wrong, but something to look at. Of course, I like tube radios; DEF is a hearing issue and gel coat keeps you warm in the Winter!
I'd like to know what year you are speaking about. My first coach was a 2002 Dutch Star 3852 and it had a ATS. So it must have been years back that you are speaking about. So let us know what year that was if you would. Thanks
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:11 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
I'd like to know what year you are speaking about. My first coach was a 2002 Dutch Star 3852 and it had a ATS. So it must have been years back that you are speaking about. So let us know what year that was if you would. Thanks
First coach was a '89 Gulfstream, second 1994 Gulfstream, the first a gas coach, the second a DP. My friend's '06 Fleetwood does not have a transfer. Both of mine did not have transfer switches. Of course that was Gulfstream and Fleetwood. On the face of it, their transfer switch should default to generator. If their generator is producing electricity, it is a transfer switch issue. VOM should prove things out.
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:15 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
We do have an ATS but we seem to be missing a part to the system...this a part of the electrical system that shouldn't be empty! Lolol we have just begun shaking our heads and muttering now what? Seems it's always something to start out...she will be perfect by the time we head south for the winter...she runs great on shoe line though! Lolol I forgot to mention that our P pump went out as well...thank the universe that she was home when she stopped! She should be up and running next week...now to find the mystery Onan part! Lolol thanks all of you wonderful fellow RVers!! I will be back!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Internet_20201219_153022_44.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	332633  
twoolchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:00 AM   #22

Welcome to the older DS world. They are beautiful beasts! I haven't seen anyone mention it here yet, but Newmar is awesome on parts and help on problems. Have your vin handy, and they can tell you every nut and bolt used to build it. I usually call, get part name / #, then check prices / availability online, then call back to order. Google newmar, and their info pops up.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:03 AM   #23

Quote:
I forgot to mention that our P pump went out as well...thank the universe that she was home when she stopped! She should be up and running next week...now to find the mystery Onan part! Lolol thanks all of you wonderful fellow RVers!! I will be back!!
The Cummins P-7100 is usually trouble free, well except for the fuel shut off solenoid , what happened ?

I'll have a look at my above stair control panel to see what you might be missing , my coach had modifications in the panel by a previous owner .

You might have to put out a call to other 1997 Dutch Star owners to share a photo of their control panel . The spot might have been the monitor panel from the Heart /Inverter. Has that unit been replaced in your coach ?

Mystery Onan part ? Did I miss something in one of your posts ?
Old 06-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #24

In your signature add the year, model, engine and chassis. This will help people that can help you and also the people that can't (because they have a new model).
For me, even though I have the same year coach as you my systems are lot different then what you have.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #25

Quote:
We do have an ATS but we seem to be missing a part to the system...this a part of the electrical system that shouldn't be empty! Lolol we have just begun shaking our heads and muttering now what? Seems it's always something to start out...she will be perfect by the time we head south for the winter...she runs great on shoe line though! Lolol I forgot to mention that our P pump went out as well...thank the universe that she was home when she stopped! She should be up and running next week...now to find the mystery Onan part! Lolol thanks all of you wonderful fellow RVers!! I will be back!!
I'm not familiar with a "P pump" so can you be more clear?

As for the hole in the cabinet above the door - could it be the house battery bank disconnect? Here is my cabinet above the door.

Also, as jimknoll mentioned, contact Newmar (have VIN # ready - you can find on sticker just behind driver seat on wall and also in cabinet on wall) and ask them for a build sheet for your coach. It'll tell you a lot things about the coach.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #26

That hole in the panel really looks like where the inverter/charger control panel should be located. Check to see if the inverter is still mounted and working. Possibly the the remote failed and was removed. If so you may find a used one one line.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #27

Rick the " P pump " is the designation of your mechanical injection pump .

Full info would be P-7100.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P 7100.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	332702  
Old 06-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think you missed a previous thread on my post...you just cannot hear the voices in my head! lolol I am just try9ing to figure out what Gen part is missing from our panel as shown in the picture. I am sure after a call to the company I will find what is missing and hopefully find the part needed. As for the P pump...the mechanic too off one of the injectors with my partner with him and it was putting through no fuel. I am confident in this mechanic as the first thing that he thought was wrong was the fuel solenoid...of course it was not bad...that might have been easy and we cannot have that! Anyway she will be fixed next week at this point...lolol We are learning to breathe and roll with info as it comes in. What I have learned about the mystery spot is that it has something to do with the fact that the Generator (that only has 175 hours on it) cannot be started from inside the coach. Should be showing voltage info and battery info...I will let you know what Newmar says about it.
twoolchefs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar