Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #1

Need some wood working help

Not necessarily referring to my RV, but I need some #8, Pan Head, oil rubbed bronze, 1.5 inch wood screws. I have been to all the major stores and on-line but cannot seem to locate any. Maybe some of you wood working folks have a source. If the info is not available here then I will give up and maybe paint some screws.

Thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 06:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
Not necessarily referring to my RV, but I need some #8, Pan Head, oil rubbed bronze, 1.5 inch wood screws. I have been to all the major stores and on-line but cannot seem to locate any. Maybe some of you wood working folks have a source. If the info is not available here then I will give up and maybe paint some screws.

Thank you
I get alot of screws off of Amazon. These are close ... but not pan head.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OKIT2D4...t_details&th=1

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post

Thank you
Don't know if you come to Tucson much but the Ace Hardware on East 22nd St and Kolb Rd is one of the largest in the country and pretty much has everything. If you can't find oil rubbed bronze what about brass?
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Would this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...s%2C244&sr=1-4

I assume these will be seen so you want something to look decent. I use these type on some of my projects, they look pretty good and with the square head drive the go in easy.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:06 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a wood worker and think that what you are wanting is rare bird. Most brass and bronze wood screw are shorter, like 5/8". Longer screws in brass would tend to be weak and break while driving in many materials. You might find something close in beveled head and use a brass cap washer to get the flat surface on the work surface.

I checked my sources and found nothing very close to the size you want in bronze or brass.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:44 PM   #6

Try some marine sources. Bronze are fairly common in salt water environments.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I find a lot of various size, color, and type of screws and bolts from Hillman https://shop.hillmangroup.com/ccrz__...eKey=Fasteners

Or fastnal

www.fastenal.com

Good luck
Old 01-28-2022, 08:25 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Oil rubbed bronze, black chrome and a few other colors all look pretty close. We have black chrome hardware and found an oil rubbed bronze shower head was a pretty close match, no one but me could tell.

Here are some black oxide, they're pretty close.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Oxide-T...7TG9TZRN&psc=1
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:43 PM   #9

I would try and find the old line hardware store, usually in a smaller town. There's one in Jackson Michigan Casler's Hardware caslerhardware.com. There is another one in Eaton Rapids Michigan Pettit Hardeare (517) 663-8422. I have found both of them able to supply things that are very, very difficult to find. I'm sure there are other hardware stores near you that are similar. I hope you realize that you are looking for the proverbial hen's teeth. Best of luck. BTW there are fairly long brass screws available, I have I think 2" #4 brass screws and yep they're really easy to break.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had luck finding needed pan head square drive screws at Tacoma Screw. Here’s a link to their selection of 269 pan head screws.

https://www.tacomascrew.com/Catalog/...crews/pan-head
Old 01-29-2022, 05:23 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is this what you are looking for ?

https://www.mcfeelys.com/8-x-1-1-2-i...e-qty-100.html
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:31 PM   #12

Another woodworking question. I want to refinish a table. Belt sander or palm sander?
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:39 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Another woodworking question. I want to refinish a table. Belt sander or palm sander?
Belt sanders are fast, but without experience you easily leave snipes in the surface where you reverse direction. I would strongly advise using a palm sander. Is this table solid wood or a veneer top layer. Many veneers are very thin, like 1/32 to 1/64" thick and can be easily sanded through. Depending you maybe better off using a chemical stripper and hand sand at the end.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:42 AM   #14

Thanks to Everyone

Thank you for all the great input and suggestions. I know these screws are available but most probably a specialty item. These screws are the mounting screws for my handrail bracket. When my contractor installed the handrail they missed the stud a couple of times and broke the heads off several screws, then plastered over the broken screws, a real mess. We are doing some painting and I wanted to get it all fixed up. I dug out all the bad screws, repaired the wall and located the studs but need several screws. I live in a small town but did go to Phoenix but couldn't find anything. I couldn't even find the brackets which I would have bought a couple to get the screws. I can find them on line but screw length is not specified. Anyway I think the simplest thing to do is get some steel screws and paint them oil rubbed bronze. I need to get the railing re-installed as the steps are fairly steep. If it does not look good I will keep my eyes open for the required screws as I travel. Once again, thank you all.