Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 01:13 AM   #1

Need wiring diagram 98 Newmar Dutch Star

Hi,

Newbie here, just got our first diesel pusher and am looking for a wiring diagram for it. Newmar says they are only available back to 2000.

I did a dumb thing - was trying to reconnect one of the cigarette lighters in the day and touched the hot wire to ground. Now theres no power to the wire and the radio has also stopped working. Have checked every fuse in the coach and they're all good.

Would sure like to have the wiring diagram for the coach so I could trace down where the power comes from. Any help would be appreciated!

Norm
Midwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 03:30 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

The diagram will show you how it runs, but not where.

Here is a link to a search with Newmar and cigarette lighter as the search terms. 500 responses and some of them should help you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22n...=13&gws_rd=ssl

One more point.... There will ALWAYS be another fuse panel you haven't seen yet.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You mentioned you have checked every fuse in the coach. Could you give us an idea of the areas of which you found the fuse locations??? Possibly you may have missed one and someone could offer another area. The reason I say this is because in our 04 Mountain Aire we have 3 locations that I know of for 12volt fuse block locations. Now ours is a gas coach so I'm sure it's different from gas to diesel for locations.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

When you said "day" did you mean "bay"?
I have a fuse board in the top of the dash in front of the driver. I have a fuse board in the cabinet (next to the AC CB box) above the master bed and then in the electrical bay (where the power cord comes in) there is a bunch of resettable CBs and some fuses. If the cigarette light receptacles "in a bay" you might find a CB in the electrical bay that has popped.

Do you have the owners guide for your coach? I have all the fuse panels defined and colors of wires in mine and even a routing diagram (not much good but it's something). Have you found the archives on newmar?
https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-too...hures-archive/
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #5

Thanks everyone! And thanks for the welcome. To answer your questions:

I have a fuse panel under the dash in the middle, has a smoked plexiglass cover over it. I have another fuse panel in the back, next to the two AC breaker panels. Then under the front hood there is a massive connection panel with all manner of small auto reset breakers. I've physically pulled every fuse and looked at the element. Also, in the front panel under the dash there is a fuse labeled Cigar Lighter. If I pull it, the other cigarette lighter in the dash (there are two) still works!

I meant to say "... cigarette lighters in the dash...". Thank you autocorrect.

Thank you Powell's for the direction to the Newmar forum, hadn't found that yet, and for the search help.

RKins- will check the electrical bay for more fuses/breakers, thanks. I do have the owners guide for the coach and it has several basic electrical diagrams but nothing very useful. In fact it doesn't even cover the fuse panel (s) in the front, I'm now thinking those may be covered in the Spartan chassis manual, have to go look.

Again, thanks everyone for your input. I'll go find the Newmar forum and post there.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I bet you'll find another fuse somewhere!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #7

Second cigarette lighter power dead, and radio

I have a 1998 Newmar Dutch Star. I did a dumb thing this week. One of the two cigarette lighters on the dash didn't work. Upon investigation I discovered that the wire feeding it was just hanging under the dash. Attempting to reconnect it, I touched it to ground and blew whatever fuse feeds it. Interestingly, I also lost power to the radio in the dash. I (believe) I have looked at every fuse in the coach and none are blown. And I mean I pulled them out and examined them. There are basically two places, one in the bedroom next to the AC breaker boxes, and one under the dash in the center behind a smoked plexiglass panel. In the latter panel under the dash, there is a fuse marked Cigar Lighter. It's good and if I pull it, the working cigarette lighter still works ��.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be thankful.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:27 PM   #8

I have some additional low voltage fuses in the 110 volt connection bay near the BIRD. For the radio, steps and other.

Here are the places I have found fuses:

From the back:
I have a storage are above the batteries that houses the inverter and fuses for engine / transmission.

110 volt connection bay: the BIRD, AUX relay, and low voltage fuses and some thermal circuit breakers.

Wet bay: Inline fuse for the water pump

Front hood: Fuses in the power panel. Mostly for the Spartan chassis stuff. More fuses for the leveling system at the hydraulic pump

Inside:
Under the dash cover are many fuses, plus some harder to find in line fuses. Most of the dashboard lighting and devices are fused here.

Bathroom - A/C circuit breakers and a bunch of fuses for interior devices like vents and interior lighting.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #9

I suspect it's an in-line fuse somewhere in the dash.

P.S. I HATE in-line fuses for this very reason. They're impossible to find.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I suspect it's an in-line fuse somewhere in the dash.

P.S. I HATE in-line fuses for this very reason. They're impossible to find.
I can't speak from experience with a 1998 Dutch Star, but I do know that our 2014 Ventana LE had an in-line fuse in the lighter socket lead. Found it when I was adding a second 12VDC power port.

I'd give pretty good odds that you will find an in-line fuse under the dash.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #11

I have an 01 DSDP. The radio and CB fuses are in the back power bay underneath that smokey plexiglass you mentioned. The CB was shorting out everytime I turned it on and it always took the radio/CD down with it. I searched under and around the dash for hours. Finally got an answer on here about where it was. :-)
LewTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:09 AM   #12

There are fuses for the radio and some others in the left rear bay next to the electrical relays mounted on the wall, mine has about four or five fuses there. (1999 DSDP)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:11 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Need wiring diagram 98 Newmar Dutch Star

Our dash radio fuse is in the left rear electrical bay near the top. Our 2 cig lighter(s) fuse is just ahead of the steering wheel under the dash cover. 1 fuse services both liter outlets. Ref 1999 madp. Unfortunately we have no el diagrams except our “experiences” and this great forum. Spartan has been great when needed.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestman View Post
I have a 1998 Newmar Dutch Star. I did a dumb thing this week. One of the two cigarette lighters on the dash didn't work. Upon investigation I discovered that the wire feeding it was just hanging under the dash. Attempting to reconnect it, I touched it to ground and blew whatever fuse feeds it. Interestingly, I also lost power to the radio in the dash. I (believe) I have looked at every fuse in the coach and none are blown. And I mean I pulled them out and examined them. There are basically two places, one in the bedroom next to the AC breaker boxes, and one under the dash in the center behind a smoked plexiglass panel. In the latter panel under the dash, there is a fuse marked Cigar Lighter. It's good and if I pull it, the working cigarette lighter still works ��.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be thankful.
I had a 2001 did about same thing, so dash lighter quit and the 2 small window fans stopped working. After several searches and days and trips I found a Inline fuse it was marked LIGHTER the fuse was blown I replaced the fuse the lighter worked BUT not the fans. I sold it several month later never did figure out the fan deal.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, light, newmar, power, radio, wiring, wiring diagram