Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #1

Nevada to Nappanee Route

Looking for help in a good route from Nevada to Nappanee with the least amount of hills. We have 3-4 weeks of time we can allow for the trip. Any help would be appreciated
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Where in NV? How badly do you want to avoid big climbs?

Obviously some of the biggest climbs on the most direct route through Denver via I-70 will put you up to a tad over 10,000' twice before you get to Denver. Total distance about 1850 miles.

Perhaps folks more intimately familiar can comment on my "off the top of my head" suggestions. While I can quickly tell you the highest point, I can't really tell you much about grades and how often you go up and down on them. The only exception Is that I have driven HWY 93/I-40/HWY 63 to Phoenix and I don't recall anything too crazy on that route. Anyway...

If you are leaving out of the Las Vegas area I suppose the route you should consider is HWY 93 to Kingman and then I-40 to Oklahoma City and then I-44... The highest elevation being around 7300' before you get to Flagstaff. Total distance about 2000 miles.

If you REALLY want to avoid big climbs you could go HWY 93 all to HWY 60 and work your way around Phoenix then Tucson and get on I-10 to I-20 to I-44.... Total distance about 2400 miles.

Hope that helps.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Nevada is a big state, and unfortunately there are hills between Nevada and Indiana, no matter what route you take. I-80 is the most direct route from Northern NV, but you will have to go around the outskirts of Chicago.

From Las Vegas or southern NV, you can travel N on I-15 until you meet I-70 in Utah. I-70 E will take you over Aspen Pass and up to the Eisenhower Tunnel (Loveland Pass) but once down to Denver it's pretty flat all the way to Indianapolis. Go around Indy on I-465 to U.S. 31 N and go to U.S. 6 E to Nappanee.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

Taking 93 to Kingman then I40 east is clearly your best bet. I40 has been much improved. Lived in Vegas several years and usually spend first night in Gallup, NM then make it to Amarillo, Tx day two then Tulsa etc. Found that route the best both in terms least hills and most services.
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdavew View Post
Taking 93 to Kingman then I40 east is clearly your best bet. I40 has been much improved. Lived in Vegas several years and usually spend first night in Gallup, NM then make it to Amarillo, Tx day two then Tulsa etc. Found that route the best both in terms least hills and most services.
We drove I40 from Kingman to east of Flagstaff just last week, both directions...
The road surface is in HORRIBLE shape. Nothing but constant bumps, potholes, chunks out of the pavement. In one west-bound section the right lane was closed because of the poor surface, but the remaining left lane was only marginally better. This is the worst stretch of interstate I have driven for the past 20 years. Prepare for your rig to suffer 10 years of normal road banging and battering from bumps and irregularities.
Johnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnidaho View Post
We drove I40 from Kingman to east of Flagstaff just last week, both directions...
The road surface is in HORRIBLE shape. Nothing but constant bumps, potholes, chunks out of the pavement. In one west-bound section the right lane was closed because of the poor surface, but the remaining left lane was only marginally better. This is the worst stretch of interstate I have driven for the past 20 years. Prepare for your rig to suffer 10 years of normal road banging and battering from bumps and irregularities.
That's one of the reasons I suggested either I-80 or I-70 to get East. I-40 in Oklahoma and Arkansas has had a bad reputation for many years.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #7

I rode I80 and it wasn't bad. It will take will probably take you three or four days days of all day driving sooooo...you have any extra 3 weeks to stay home and watch tv. lol. Or take the total trip divide by 21 days and drive that number of miles every day. But you already knew that. good luck
Old 03-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #8

My wife was thinking that we could now visit Memphis ans Nashville if we go via Kingman on the I-40. After reading some of the above the roads dont sound the best.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #9

I agree with the comments on I-40, but it isn't THAT bad. If that is the best route for you, don't let the road conditions dictate how you travel. Because of where we go, I have driven that route many times. Any other route would take us quite a bit out of our way.

Most of the really bad parts are in the right lane. While I generally think it is discourteous to drive in the left lane unless actually required to pass someone, there are some parts of the route where the left lane will be a lot better than the right and, if traffic isn't too heavy, I use the left lane. By doing that, and taking it easy, the drive isn't so bad.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #10

I like this website. Here is what the trip looks like Reno NV to Nappannee IN showing elevation and slope %.

https://www.flattestroute.com/?from=...mentMode=miles
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How did you get a route with elevations and gradients? That is awesome!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandcworkhorse View Post
How did you get a route with elevations and gradients? That is awesome!
The website is Flattest Route

https://www.flattestroute.com/

Las Vegas to Nappanee, using I-15, I-70, I-76, I-80

Bob & Donna

Tags
ada