Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
New 2002 Mountain Aire owner

Last week we finally made the decision to purchase a used Newmar. This was after a lot of research into the various models looking at some on lots and hours of reading the various owner forums. I was originally looking hard at the Tiffins but just could not get over some of the many repairs and trips people make to the factory. We were definitely going used as we wanted features that was just over our budget for a new unit.
We are excited to take delivery next week and the previous owner has been taking great care of the unit. It is in great condition.
Ball joints were replaced, and maintenance was performed regularly. Still have a couple years on the tires. The unit was a special order with the larger 400 ISL, 10k hitch, hydro hot just to name a few of the many extras. Already working on setting up our Suburban to tow, blue ox plates, Air Force one brakes.
Here is my question.
We had a previously planned trip up to the WI dells and will be staying at a resort, no camping. Thought it might be a good shake down trip with the coach to get some road time and see how towing the suburban is. Resort has a large parking lot so should be easy to park and let the RV sit most of the week. It is a roughly 500 mile one way trip for us.
Is this crazy or would we be better going on a smaller trip first time out?

We did own a class c years ago, and did a lot of traveling pulling boats, trailers etc... So other than being a little longer and watching the turns seems easy enough to handle. We did a test drive of the rv before buying and seemed easy enough to get used to driving.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #2

Good choice. You can visit the newmar factory if you want to not because you have to. Just bought a newmar mountainaire in Florida and drove it 1700 miles home so 500 should not be a problem. Be careful parking at a resort so that you don't get boxed in by cars when you are ready to leave.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Ronrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

And the Newmar family. I put 4800 miles on my coach in the first 2 weeks I owned it. No issues , was I just lucky, well maybe. But a recurring oil leak is the only problem in 3 1/2 years since.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
In my signature below are QT's links with info for your coach also.
Congratulations on your Newmar many safe travels in the future and welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us, and welcome to the Newmar family. If you feel the coach is in good shape 500 miles is not a long trip.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #6

Congrats on the new to you coach. The Newmar family is a good one and the factory support is awesome. I love my MA too and so will you!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2115943]Welcome to the forum and irv2.

Here is a [B][URL="https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/2002mab.pdf
Brochure[/URL][/B] and Owners Guide for you.

In my signature below are QT's links with info for your coach also.

Congratulations on your Newmar many safe travels in the future and welcome to the Newmar family.

Thanks for the owners guide 007, That will give time to read over and ask any questions at delivery.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
The first 500 miles under our belt. All went well lots of experience with toll booths, traffic construction. Lots of navigating parking lots and also fueling up. For the most part could not even tell the Suburban was back there, thought for sure I would notice pulling a heavier vehicle. AF1 braking system worked well, hooking up and un-hooking Blue Ox was easy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404667290.134544.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	67034
Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
The first 500 miles under our belt. All went well lots of experience with toll booths, traffic construction. Lots of navigating parking lots and also fueling up. For the most part could not even tell the Suburban was back there, thought for sure I would notice pulling a heavier vehicle. AF1 braking system worked well, hooking up and un-hooking Blue Ox was easy.
Attachment 67034
Great pic!! thanks!!

Sounds like you're well on your way to enjoying the great RV lifestyle!!

We went thru the Dells a couple of weeks ago, beautiful country.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
I am glad to say that we made it to the Dells and back without any major problems. It was a great first trip out around 1100 miles round trip. We did have some learning experiences along the way. Toll booths around Chicago were not that big a deal but still avoided almost all of them. Pulling off the highway to eat or fuel up was always interesting. Accidentally took some residential tours with the suburban in tow. Winding, hilly tight roads were no fun at any minute thought for sure I was going to have to unhook and back out of the mess. But we made it and got our food and on our way. Fueled up at a Flying J paid too much in Indiana stopped at a Loves in Ill. on the way back and prices much better. Also decided to dump at a second Flying J on the way back. Other than the tight turn leaving it was a piece of cake. We did have to unhook once as a culdesac on an industrial street was not large enough for me to make the turn. Towing the suburban was painless, had plenty of power going down the road and the AF1 brakes helped on stopping. Overall the trip was a success and now am anxious to get on the road and do some real rv'ing!
Old 07-15-2014, 02:09 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Good going! Did you have the opportunity to run any of the systems, i.e. slides, generator, jacks? If not you might want to exercise some of those things prior to another trip. If you have the ability when you go to pack up for your trip use that time to double check that all systems are a go. Start your generator, turn on the A/C's, lower the jacks, and let the slides out. Then after you're all packed up close everything back like you were breaking camp to get on the road. If you've got an RV refer make sure you give it at least 24 hours to get down to temperature.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, we did run AC and generator a few times through out the week. We made use of the rv at night for a couple of us to sleep in as our room was too small for the extra people we took on the trip. Did not need ac at night as the weather was great with lower temps. Used the inverter at night to watch a little TV before bed and generator to top off the charge through out the week.
Ran the refer on propane all week except when generator was running. We did not deploy the slides or jacks on the trip but did open it all up prior to the trip a couple times and exercised the jacks.
I would like to point out a repair we had to do prior to the trip. The step wiring was ran in about the worst case possible in the front wheel well. The wiring was ran down the inner well in direct line of the tires when turning. With the inner flap being a little loose the wiring was shredded by the tire at some point. It appears this had happened once or twice by the previous owners. My solution was to lengthen the wire harness and re-route out of harms way and tie the inner flap in the wheel well back so it did not rub in tight turns. The shredded wires also shorted out the step switch so I had to order a replacement, luckily I later found a spare in a drawer with spare bulbs.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Good going! Sounds like the PO might have cut a few corners (sorry for the pun) with the wiring that's why there was another switch. I think you're ready for your first trip!
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #14

Congrats on you Newmar. We still love our 02 DS even though we have had to do a lot of maintenance over the last year. We just replaced all the heater hoses after one broke outside of Yuma on I-10. the 2 hoses from front to back were the most expensive. I suggest you have all your rad hoses checked out also if they have not been replaced since they are 12 years old.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote