RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
New 2017 Ventana - NAV (Clarion NX 405) System is NOT up to date

If you have Clarion NX 405 in your coach it appears Newmar does not delivery their vehicles with the latest software. I just picked up my VT last week FPU and have been having issues with the NX 405 NAV such as not knowing the speed limit. I was in to the dealer today for my state inspection and asked them about it, they called Newmar, Newmar said just disable the feature as the fix. Ummm NO.

I did some googling, long story short, go to Clarion U.S.A | NX405 Software Update Instructions (for APP, MPEG and MCU) and download the update, it's very easy to do. Copy to a Micro SD card and install, follow the instructions and you can update it easily. I took a picture of my before and after versions just to verify, all is good. Now I'm seeking out map updates. It appears my 2017 brand new VT has 2015 map data. Not thrilled with that, so that's next on the agenda.

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I am working on the map update now, it appears to be simple using a Windows utility you get from https://clarion.naviextras.com/shop/...tlet.mode=view

Map updates don't appear to be expensive either, however, Newmar should have had the latest for me installed on delivery.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It's updating now, it appears your first update as a new account subscriber is free. There is also a nav fix being installed with 2017 Q1. I suggest if you have a NAV system check that you're up to date.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:05 AM   #4

i also find it odd that your unit did not have the latest software update....

i am having the new Xite radio / NAV combo put in my order....i hope it's up to date....it being a new option, i should think it would be.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Neal, if you're just getting a 2017 at the factory you should have the NX405TRK. I had to buy a new unit for $650 and sell the old one to get the TRK version. I just sold that coach and as far as I know there was no map update for it. Mine was off on some speed limits but all in all loved the unit. Better than our Garmin, although the DW used the Garmin as she couldn't see the Clarion from the passenger seat. Hopefully Newmar will fix that issue someday. The driver is not primarily the navigator, yet they are the one who sees the gps. There should at least be a slave unit on the passenger side.

Newmar is not very good when it comes to this unit. I spent many hours on this subject and basically Newmar installs the unit then looks the other way. Your best information will come from the local Clarion salesman Josh from Mito corp in that town just north of Nappanee, forgot the name now. They sell the Clarion units to Newmar. I bought my new unit from them then sold the old one on eBay. To be clear, the physical unit did not need to be removed, only the SD card, but no one will sell just that. Bad deal for me, but you should have the new setup.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, it's a 405TRK and there were updates for it. The software app that Clarion uses (requires Windows) detects it and updates it when you put the microSD card from the unit into your computer. It is a nice unit and I do want to get it to work as I've had some issues. I have a Garmin 770 in the coach which I used coming back from Newmar as the Clarion showed 3 hours longer but may have been speed limit issues and the same route but a slower time as a result. I highly recommend the Garmin 770, it is amazing. But I paid for the Clarion and want to get it up to date at the very least.

I have not figured out if you can save more than 6 presets in the SiriusXM mode - it seems crazy if you can only store 6! :(
Old 06-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #7

Neal,
Can you please confirm if you needed a blank microSD card, or if you just updated the card that came in the 405TRK? I'm wondering if this is something we need to add to our shopping list for our pick up. Thanks!

Susan
PandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
To do the software update you need a blank microSD 256 MB or larger. I have a drone so I borrowed the card from that. The map update is done from the SD card that comes in the unit.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Attached are before and after version info screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nx405trk-before.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	165158   Click image for larger version

Name:	nx405trk-after.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	165159  

Old 06-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #10

Thanks, Neal. I'll bring one, just in case our dealer hasn't already made sure everything is updated. You've been very helpful!
PandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
To do the software update you need a blank microSD 256 MB or larger. I have a drone so I borrowed the card from that. The map update is done from the SD card that comes in the unit.
Neal,

Stop working and get out and PLAY!

All these toys need to be used, - Where are you Headed?

You do Know Why the Coach looks out of place at the House? Because it is out of Place - get out on the Road, Use all those things you've added in real Life situations. ...

Lot's or pictures - Possibly a Blog - Share often,

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
There was a software update, but no map updates to my knowledge.

BB
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Neal,

Stop working and get out and PLAY!

All these toys need to be used, - Where are you Headed?

You do Know Why the Coach looks out of place at the House? Because it is out of Place - get out on the Road, Use all those things you've added in real Life situations. ...

Lot's or pictures - Possibly a Blog - Share often,

Best of Luck,

ROFL!!!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Play time -- After Father's day my friends. Right now I'm "moving in" with my 1800 amazon orders worth of stuff :(

Tags
vent, ventana