Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #1

New 2021 Bay Star - First Time Quality

We picked up our new 2021 Bay Star 3626 last weekend and took it for a one week trip. This is the second RV I have owned, the previous one being a 2015 Bay Star Sport 3309 (also purchased new). I thought I would share my impressions of this RV’s first time quality. To get to the conclusion - the Newmar quality is very good!

This RV was driven by a Newmar delivery driver to California, where we picked it up.

For reference, I retired from an aerospace industry company as a quality director. Overall, we are very pleased with Newmar’s quality. My wife is extremely happy with this new RV. It was tough to purchase an RV without the benefit of seeing coaches due to the pandemic, but our prior experience and a lot of thinking and looking at YouTube videos worked.

At the dealer’s lot we had one slide that would not retract. The solution was a controller swap. It is interesting to see the new controllers (over my 2015, and I now have 4 slides with the 2021 and all the controllers are next to each other in a bay).

We noticed a few things out of alignment such as a cabinet door, the TV on the elevator being slight off level with respect to the counter (likely simple adjustment), the steering wheel seems to be a bit turned to the right when driving straight - no it doesn’t pull, and one slide has a corner that sticks out and another slide has a corner that has no gap. All of these are minor and would be up to debate as to do they meet factor spec. I have one bay door that is very hard to latch - I have to slam it hard.

During camping, I noticed water on the ground and found that I had a water leak at the Truma hot water heater - line fittings in the back of the unit were loose (it is a hand tightened fitting). I tightened this and hopefully that resolves it. We also found the fob for the awning didn’t work, and the awning needs adjustment as the movement sensor seems overly sensitive - it partially retracted itself with essentially very little wind breeze.

We have found some construction debris, loose screws, dirt, saw dust.

On the way home, the brakes were squealing - any advice on that would be helpful. I can’t imagine I have glazing already (I drove 220 miles, nothing major braking wise).

Every system works, the cabinets look great. The furniture is very comfortable. All interior finishes are great. Exterior paint is also well done and so far I haven’t noticed any flaws.

In comparison, the quality of this 2021 seems as good as if not better than the 2015 - and that coach was of high quality as well.

I will continue to recommend Newmar to family and friends.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your thread, you had some problems but seemed to be able to correct yourself.
Same may say your lenient with no bashing for them problems.
As far as the slides go they may need some adjustment which you will find in the Slide thread of this sticky and if its a FWS adjusting the twin motors and a Check List for possible motor bolt fix eventually.
Continued enjoyment of your new coach and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
The brake.squeal could be caused by using ceramic brake pads. I'm not sure if they used them or not but my son worked as a mechanic for a dealership and said lots of people complained about squealing after putting them on.
Rev. Roy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:40 PM   #4

Check your Vin the see if it's one that is being recalled due to not enough oil in the rear-end.
yellow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow73 View Post
Check your Vin the see if it's one that is being recalled due to not enough oil in the rear-end.

It is part of that recall! I had no knowledge of this until your post. I checked the NTSB recall site and entered my VIN and found the recall. Why wouldn’t Newmar have taken care of this before selling it to me?

1Unrepaired Recalls
associated with this VIN
Mar 24,2021
Manufacturer Recall Number21S17
NHTSA Recall Number21V202
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
Summary
AN INADEQUATE AMOUNT OF REAR AXLE LUBRICANT MAY RESULT IN REAR WHEEL BEARING DAMAGE POTENTIALLY LEADING TO BEARING SEIZURE. BEARING SEIZURE MAY LEAD TO REAR AXLE OR DRIVESHAFT FAILURE.

Safety Risk
IN THE EVENT OF REAR AXLE OR DRIVESHAFT FAILURE, CUSTOMERS MAY EXPERIENCE LOSS OF VEHICLE MOTIVE POWER, LOSS OF TRANSMISSION PARK FUNCTION, AND LOSS OF PARKING BRAKE FUNCTION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:27 AM   #6

The more I research the worse it gets. Newmar and my dealer should not have delivered my new RV from stock!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	324138
Old 04-07-2021, 12:38 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That’s a pretty recent recall. Transportation was likely in progress prior to issue. Lag time in getting to front line is also likely an issue. Given distances involved, would believe lubrication issue would have manifested if present. Cycle back to dealer and have it checked. Brake squeak is unrelated, have it checked in same visit.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:58 AM   #8

Ceramic brakes definitely have squeal sound. The recall you posted was a notice to Ford and Lincoln dealers. If the check was done at Newmar prior to the delivery to your local dealer, it might not have made it into the system. If it was low, it would have manifested itself during the delivery drive. Call the dealer give them the recall and have them look at it. Peace of mind!!
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTNaples View Post
Ceramic brakes definitely have squeal sound. The recall you posted was a notice to Ford and Lincoln dealers. If the check was done at Newmar prior to the delivery to your local dealer, it might not have made it into the system. If it was low, it would have manifested itself during the delivery drive. Call the dealer give them the recall and have them look at it. Peace of mind!!

Do these Newmar’s have ceramic brakes?

On the “inadequate rear axle oil fill volume” for the rear axle, it may also take time for the damage to build depending on the amount of the low oil/lubricant.

Yes it was a Ford letter, but Newmar should have had it as well and in fact as new owners we are taking delivery of a new Ford chassis. The letter should go to Newmar and all of its dealers and service centers with urgency. Just as Ford dealers are doing, Newmar should also place a hold on all inventory affected by this safety recall. (As well as all RV manufacturers with this chassis.). Note the recall covers 2020-2021 F-53 chassis.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #10

It’s quite possible your unit has adequate oil in the diff.
Not too hard to check yourself and you could top up if it is low. Save a trip to the dealer and associated waiting etc.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
It’s quite possible your unit has adequate oil in the diff.
Not too hard to check yourself and you could top up if it is low. Save a trip to the dealer and associated waiting etc.

Check out the Ford chassis forum. There is more info. Includes one owner being told by Ford if they self service the oil level it could void the warranty work. Others owners are self checking and finding it low. News stories of damaged systems also reported.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:43 PM   #12

Yes ours is setting in the bone yard waiting on an awning I sure would like the rear-end oil to be checked before they drive it a thousand miles to the dealership possibly causing bearing damage that could show up later on a freeway.
yellow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #13

This is going to have a big impact on the 2020/2021 Newmar Gas models. Per Ford, 7,876 F-53 chassis (2020-2021) are affected with production dates JUL 06, 2020 - FEB 15, 2021.

I have been in contact with Newmar and they are working to connect me with Ford. I also called a Ford truck service center and am waiting for a call back.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #14

New 2021 Bay Star - First Time Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post
Check out the Ford chassis forum. There is more info. Includes one owner being told by Ford if they self service the oil level it could void the warranty work. Others owners are self checking and finding it low. News stories of damaged systems also reported.

Yea well they would never know. It’s not difficult and could save a lot of grief it you burn out your bearings or clutches driving to a dealer (if you can find one who works on RVs).

Tags
bay star, quality