Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #15

Don't I also recall that the NA 35' with bigger combined ISL/Allison 3xxx, took up a basement storage space? (Think I recall an observation from a NA 33' owner who looked, and I think then bought the NA 35'?) Also believe I recall that CCC was better in the NA 33' vs NA 35'?

So more length and interior living, more power, more braking HP with the NA 35'. But if my memory is correct (Quite often I miss a few synapses now a days!) - the NA 33' had higher CCC and a bit more basement storage (Or maybe the same basement storage as the NA 33' - that could have been it(?).

I liked the revised/refined dash changes of both the NA 33 & 35'.

My DW really liked the modern interior design, and for under 40', livability of the NA 35'!

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The 35 definitely has a bit more storage basement space. Net CCC is listed in the brochures. I’m interested in the Spartan option for the 35 and while I have the chassis specs, coach specs like NCC or CCC or whatever don’t seem to be out yet.

The things I do like are the maintenance bay (pass rear comp) and the traditional shift pad on the left of the driver, 5 year warranty, factory tpms, traction control that is a selectable limited slip, as well as a 3 stage jake instead of a vgt exhaust brake (I have my reasons), and the integral toad braking system. Also hoping that a Spartan K2 450 for the New Aire will have all wheel disc but haven’t been able to confirm.

But given the compulsory delay in coach use I can afford to wait and see. I won’t buy until I’ve fully explored the New Aire Spartan chassis option. At that point I’ll make my decision: lightly used 33’ , 2020 Freightliner 35’ or a 2021 Spartan 35’. In the mean time I’m enjoying the research, speculation, anticipation, etc.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #17

This thread prompted me to go look— those 33’ New Aires check A LOT A of my boxes. All electric, dishwasher, W/D, and total length 35’ or less. (That length is a parking constraint for me and keeping my rig at the house is too big of a deal for me to compromise)

75 gallons seems a bit small of fuel and 360 hp seems a bit underpowered— I still like a diesel pickup for work and that’s pushing 9000 lbs.

*BUT* a used 33’ NA plus F250 would be similar dollars with a Spacecraft or New Horizons FW built to my specs plus a F550. And I’d get the awesome basement storage of a class A...

Would I hate towing a diesel pickup with a 6.7 Cummins?

Sheesh. This was a lot easier back when none of the MH floor plans really worked.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
This thread prompted me to go look— those 33’ New Aires check A LOT A of my boxes. All electric, dishwasher, W/D, and total length 35’ or less. (That length is a parking constraint for me and keeping my rig at the house is too big of a deal for me to compromise)

75 gallons seems a bit small of fuel and 360 hp seems a bit underpowered— I still like a diesel pickup for work and that’s pushing 9000 lbs.

*BUT* a used 33’ NA plus F250 would be similar dollars with a Spacecraft or New Horizons FW built to my specs plus a F550. And I’d get the awesome basement storage of a class A...

Would I hate towing a diesel pickup with a 6.7 Cummins?

Sheesh. This was a lot easier back when none of the MH floor plans really worked.
You clearly have a lot to think about here. For me it’s a little more clear because I going to buy a class A, it’s going to be Newmar, and it’s going to be less than 36’. So that narrows things down enough that I dont have a lot else to consider.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #19

If you don't need the 3/4 Ton, Ford and Dodge (Maybe GM now too... Have not kept up!) have diesel 1/2 ton trucks. The Dodge with Air Suspension ride, is supposed to be one of the most comfortable, and forgiving on rougher highways, 1/2 available. IMO, the ISB 360 would be working had on hills with even a 1/2 ton truck - I would not want to pull a 3/4. I think the NA 35 (Which maybe too long for you?) with the ISL, would have the ability to pull the 3/4 ton. But, I do not know what the hitch is max weight is rated at. (Probably in the brochures...).

Also IMO, while the NA is a part of the Luxury DP lineup for Newmar - Spacecraft and New Horizons are at a higher build level. Not a knock in anyway to Newmar NA's - as they're built to a certain price point! And are a solid bang for the buck for the segment they're in.

I think I'd sit down and really think about which way you want to go, as far as Class vs Tow Vehicle and ether Trailer or Fiver... Pro's & Con's, and few thousand posts on the subject via search, to help you sort thru that decision.

Opinions do vary! Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #20

Thanks guys.

Not in a hurry but at least I have something new to chew on.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:29 PM   #21

Not buying the spacecraft or new horizons are any higher build level but that’s kind of apples and oranges. The 33 would handle the 3/4 ton and yes it would slow you down some on the big long hills. The 450 in the 35 is under 36 ft and would tow the big pickup fine without problems and tow capacity is plenty on both. I am currently pulling a F150 King Ranch Super Crew and really don’t know it’s back there. This is all JMHO.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Your coach at a UVW of 35100 comes in at about 87lbs/hp while a 2018 3343 is about 86lbs to the HP. So performance is probably more or less identical. Assuming your torque is 1000, you are a little better off there on power to weight ratio, but not enough to say that by comparison the ISB powered 33’ coach is underpowered.

My vote is for the 35’ 450/1200 which has substantially better numbers than both. And now that for 2021 there will be a Spartan option, my apple cart is completely upset.
I own an 2018 NA3343 and have enjoyed how easy to it is to drive and maneuver, I do believe a bigger engine would be nice although the 360 is adequate. I did look at the 35 foot version but was not real happy with the weight as compared to the 33 ft. Same chassis and and quite a bit heavier and considerably less carrying capacity my 3343 has about a 7580# NCC where the 3543 has a 3400# which is a considerable difference. When fuel, water and bodies are added not much left
Old 05-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
The OP said “ too small, ISB engine lacking, no engine brake?” I understood that to be a question, not a statement of fact. He was asking if that could be the reason.
How I read it too.
SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
I own an 2018 NA3343 and have enjoyed how easy to it is to drive and maneuver, I do believe a bigger engine would be nice although the 360 is adequate. I did look at the 35 foot version but was not real happy with the weight as compared to the 33 ft. Same chassis and and quite a bit heavier and considerably less carrying capacity my 3343 has about a 7580# NCC where the 3543 has a 3400# which is a considerable difference. When fuel, water and bodies are added not much left
All these trade offs. One of the reasons I’m still shopping....
Old 05-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #25

2019 Leftover Doge Pickups

Just an off topic comment:
I just noticed internet adds for New 2019 Doge pickups in LaBele Fl.
priced $16387 below MSRP that's a 37% discount.

Come August the 2020's will probably be close to 30% off MSRP.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #26

With apologies to Bruce Brown . . .
Flair-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:46 AM   #27

dp

there are so many DP's out there you are bound to hate one of them and they all take major money loss after leaving lot so jump in where you can and hang on
Herb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:10 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb51 View Post
there are so many DP's out there you are bound to hate one of them and they all take major money loss after leaving lot so jump in where you can and hang on
Jump in and hang on indeed...!

Tags
air, for sale, sale