Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #1

New Aire Accelerator Pedal

We've been shopping for RV #5 for about two years via the web since there have been zero shows and zero dealer inventory. The models we're considering at the NA 3343 and 3543.
Yesterday, I found a 3543 at a dealer just three hours from home so we shot over there to take a real, live, in-person look. We liked what we saw so we took it on a drive with the sales person. That's where the dream ended.

I'm 5'10" and I could barely reach the accelerator pedal without pointing my toe like a ballerina. It's so far off to the right that I had to keep my heel completely off the floor to reach it. I had the adjustable pedals fully extended and the driver's seat all the way forward. My wife (5'4") couldn't reach it at all.
The salesperson said this was normal on the Freightliner chassis. I couldn't see how I could comfortably drive this without using the cruise control all the time.

1. Is this also true on the Spartan chassis?
  2. For those of you with a 3343, is the accelerator within reach?
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2022, 05:43 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Not to ask a dumb question, you had the seat all the way forward, did you also have it lowered as low as it would go?

This is the first time I've ever heard someone say that pedal wasn't reachable. I'm 6'2 with short legs (30" inseam) and I had to modify my coach to move the seat back farther.

Worst case scenario, you could have the pedal arm modified or add a block. Years ago, on my Monaco Diplomat, there was a large space between the throttle pedal and the center cabinets of the dash. When I slid my foot over from the brake, I wouldn't be centered on the throttle and off to the right side. I added a block to the cabinet so my foot would naturally hit it, making my right foot centered over the throttle.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #3

On our 18 LA with adjustable pedals my wife just over 5 ft. had trouble with her feet touching the accelerator pedal. What we came up with was a 3 inch section from a kneeling pad stacked together under the pedal to rest her foot and make it removeable with velcro. Worked really well and she drove our coach a 1K on the way home from Gillette after taking the 2 day RV driving school. Pedals are mounted a little so moving back and forward still has them located for short legs.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies! When we were back at the dealer, we played around with the seat settings a lot and didn't discover a comfortable setting (yet).
I now recall an International truck I drove in the 80s where I had to put a 2x4 under the pedal for my heel to rest on. Just a bit surprised that I'd find a similar situation 40 years later.
We're still on the hunt and trying to find a 33' less than 1,800 miles (!) away from us for comparison.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #5

I have similar issue. The accelerator is too far right and too far away. 5-9 with 30” inseam. For me the seat is too deep. I added a seat cushion for bad back, this helped immensely. Made the seat about 2” shallower.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:31 AM   #6
Rd1

From what I recall from newmar (long ago), the seat could be lowered more. However, the foot rest would have to be removed. Foot rest is what blocks the seat from going lower. Ofcourse, that was in 2014. do not know if the new seats have the same structure.

OTH, you can check the pic. You 'd have to expand the image and look at the base of the pedals for other possible solution. I think that was about 2"- 2.5" of height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ventanna-2014-Interior (18).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	373614  
Old 08-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #7

Smile

Rustyjohn: Now that you mention it, I do recall the seat pan being extra deep. The pillow's a good idea and it seems like I see a lot of people on Youtube using them while driving.

RD1: I'll keep this one of the possible mods list if and possibly when we can find one to purchase.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:46 PM   #8

Good post by the OP. The older air throttle set up was way better than the fly by wire throttles we have now. I find I am always at kind of an awkward twist to get comfortable on the throttle and the new throttles have no feel whatsoever. I use cruise as much as possible or I would start looking for modifications for this set up.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts View Post
Thanks for the replies! When we were back at the dealer, we played around with the seat settings a lot and didn't discover a comfortable setting (yet).
I now recall an International truck I drove in the 80s where I had to put a 2x4 under the pedal for my heel to rest on. Just a bit surprised that I'd find a similar situation 40 years later.
We're still on the hunt and trying to find a 33' less than 1,800 miles (!) away from us for comparison.

I have a 2020 NADP 3543 (Freightliner) and have the same problem. I’m a little taller but it is still a bad design and not an easy fix that I can see. Living with the issue as the rest of the coach is great. Had a 2017 LADP for a number of years on a Spartan chassis and no such problem there.

Wonder if the Spartan chassis has the issue on the NADP
wqmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #10

This topic peaked my interest and I did a little research online and this is what I found. May not be totally accurate.

I found mention that Freightliner at one time had adjustable pedals as an option, but some time back had a recall on the system and find no mention of adjustable pedals since for current coaches, maybe I didn't dig deep enough.

It appears that Spartan does have an option for adjustable pedals, and the New Aire is available on a Spartain chassis.

Some of the other luxury coach manufacturers that use Spartan chassis list the adjustable pedals as a standard feature.

A call to Newmar might be in order to see if they can supply the adjustable pedals on either chassis in a new coach, or even install them in an existing coach if you take the coach to the mother ship.

Just my 2 cents worth.
ScotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:24 PM   #11

ScotS

I have adjustable pedals on my NADP Freightliner and they are run all the way forward and I can barely reach them. There is definitely a design issue.
wqmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:49 AM   #12

ScotS, I did verify that the adjustable pedals were all the way forward. I also tried running them out to see if that somehow helped, but it didn't.
I think when I am an owner, I'll do some kind of blocking for city driving.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:24 AM   #13

Design Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wqmiller View Post
ScotS

I have adjustable pedals on my NADP Freightliner and they are run all the way forward and I can barely reach them. There is definitely a design issue.

I also have adjustable pedals on my 2019 NADP which is on a Freightliner chassis. I am 5' 11" and wear 30" inseam pants. I have to have the seat forward enough that I can barely get my knees between the front of the seat and the steering column and I have to have the pedals extended all the way to be comfortable but it is still a reach. I usually use cruise control so it isn't as much of a problem as it could be.

If my 5 foot wife were to attempt to drive the coach a block on the pedal would be necessary for sure. Makes the adjustable pedals something that looks good on a sales brochure but does work in real life.

When the coach was new I had a problem with the video module which connects to the communication bus for the engine and I had to drive the coach all the way from Columbus, Ohio to Newmar in Nappanee with no cruise control. Not a fun 250 mile trip.

Bill
2019 NADP 3343
BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #14

Isn't the accelerator pedal drive by wire? Should be able to move it anywhere? Not sure if the brake is mechanical linkage or not. I am disabled and drive with my left leg. Not a problem in my work van or car but I suspect a class A would be uncomfortable for me. Watching this thread to see if Bobby from NIRVC chimes in as I got no response from Newmar about moving both pedals left of the steering column
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air