Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2021, 04:23 AM   #1

New Aire Dash Dimming Recall Results

I recently had my 2019 NA serviced at the Freightliner service center in Gaffney SC. They performed the dash software update (FL859-Optiview Update) to address the NTSB safety recall related to the brightness of the dash at night. The dash dimming switch did not dim the dash sufficiently during night time driving which could have a negative impact on visibility.

Results are positive and the obvious problem is fixed. The dash can be dimmed a lot more when the headlights are on. But there are additional changes. I have seen a few more icons on the dash than were used previously. These include: Exhaust brake switch on indicator that is white when the switch is on and green when the engine brake is actively braking, an engine cool down recommended indicator (I think thats what it means) and a new idle indicator. In addition, the old Optiview software would switch your dash to display the Adaptive Cruise display whenever it detected you were too close to a vehicle you are following. The new software alerts with a more pleasant tone but does not switch the display to the Adaptive Cruise display.

Next time you get your NA serviced request that FL859 update be applied. It is a pure software update and requires no physical changes to the dash.

By the way - the Gaffney service center was great. All they do is Motorhome service and the service appointment went off without a hitch. I've had spotty service at other Freightliner locations where they aren't as used to Motorhomes.
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2021, 05:08 AM   #2
GKU

We were there this past Monday and also got the same software update. I like the additional features. The exhaust brake dash light makes more sense in the way it operates.

I recommend that anyone who received this notice get the recall done. It fixes the dash light problem, plus gives you some additional features.

Pleasant surprise!!!
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #3

We had our 2019 New Aire in for general service at Freightliner Velocity in Phoenix. They preformed this update without me even having to ask

We’ve had service at the Phoenix location 3 times. They have been great. They also have overnight parking, with full hook-ups, for the night before service.

Chuck
KenneysSeeAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:13 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Had our update done in Gaffney on Tuesday. Always have received excellent service there. I like the new display component where both the transmission selection (D, N, or R) as well as the current gear (1-6) display in the center of the tachometer area. (Sorry the photo is sideways.)

Oddly, I can’t tell any change in the dash dimming. I’ve only tried during the daytime - haven’t been in it after dark yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63B5AEB3-8259-4015-BED3-EC770AE1F4C8.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	332447  
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #5

These new digital dashes are absolute garbage. Wait till one of the led dies in them, will need a complete replacement and will cost thousands and require programming.
Ebwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardSimmons View Post
Had our update done in Gaffney on Tuesday. Always have received excellent service there. I like the new display component where both the transmission selection (D, N, or R) as well as the current gear (1-6) display in the center of the tachometer area. (Sorry the photo is sideways.)

Oddly, I can’t tell any change in the dash dimming. I’ve only tried during the daytime - haven’t been in it after dark yet.

The dimming function only works if the headlights are on.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebwhite View Post
These new digital dashes are absolute garbage. Wait till one of the led dies in them, will need a complete replacement and will cost thousands and require programming.

It is a concern, but these coaches all have multiple digital components in them…. If you get a new coach it’s just part of the deal. Meantime, the displays look great.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebwhite View Post
Wow, what a contribution to the conversation. You should call someone on your rotary phone to talk about this.

Tags
dash, dash brightness, optiview dash, recall