Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

New Aire Delivered - Observations & Questions

We took delivery of our New Aire in the last few days and have a couple of observations.

1. For those who are contemplating getting a New Aire 3343 with theater seats, you should be aware that when the slides are closed, you can not walk to the back of the coach. The only work around is to turn the chairs around 180 degrees. This will give you a few inches to get back to the kitchen/bathroom area. It was an unpleasant surprise about this, but I would have still chosen the theater chairs because they are really comfortable. Just be aware of this when deciding. The chairs turn around fairly easily when the slides are open. You have to pull them to the middle so that they clear the fixed end table, turn them around then push them back into place. Since the seat of the chair will clear the window trim in this position, it gains a few more inches of travel to the wall.

2. The glass dash dials have been rearranged since some time in January. Angie from NIRVC videoed the 2019 and the dash in her video is the new configuration. The reason this is important is that the DEF level doesn't seem to have made it into the new display. If any of you have the latest version and can tell me how to view the DEF level, and tell me that I am just a dummy, I would appreciate it. I have a call into Freightliner support and they are checking because they can't find it either.
WallyRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
UAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRover View Post
We took delivery of our New Aire in the last few days and have a couple of observations.

1. For those who are contemplating getting a New Aire 3343 with theater seats, you should be aware that when the slides are closed, you can not walk to the back of the coach. The only work around is to turn the chairs around 180 degrees. This will give you a few inches to get back to the kitchen/bathroom area. It was an unpleasant surprise about this, but I would have still chosen the theater chairs because they are really comfortable. Just be aware of this when deciding. The chairs turn around fairly easily when the slides are open. You have to pull them to the middle so that they clear the fixed end table, turn them around then push them back into place. Since the seat of the chair will clear the window trim in this position, it gains a few more inches of travel to the wall.

2. The glass dash dials have been rearranged since some time in January. Angie from NIRVC videoed the 2019 and the dash in her video is the new configuration. The reason this is important is that the DEF level doesn't seem to have made it into the new display. If any of you have the latest version and can tell me how to view the DEF level, and tell me that I am just a dummy, I would appreciate it. I have a call into Freightliner support and they are checking because they can't find it either.
Hey Wally Rover...

Very interesting to hear. We stuck with the fold out couch in the 3343 and for the life of me I cannot remember if there is room to walk with the slides in.

I think there is but cannot be sure.

Saw your other post and we are starting to get a little excited. Not happy about the insurance quote I just received but happy about the rest!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRover View Post
The video shows the def on the right side @ 56:13

attached is a screen shot with the def gauge circled in red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5613.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	237094  
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #4

Using the controls on the steering wheel you can change the gauges displayed in all three of the lower display
Newaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #5

On our 2019 the DEF gauge is on the rotation BUT it was built before January. We have the recliners and pull them out and turn them sideways to push them in for travel, gives much more room to get down the aisle with slides in.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you hit the home button on the steering wheel, right side, it will bring a screen up in the center of the dash that says,

Trip 1
Trip 2
Gauges
Diagnostics

Arrow down to GAUGES and push the center button. It lets you select three of several gauges you want to display. I picked the DEF as one of my gauges.

The only thing the new dash doesn't have is an outside temp display like my last Freightliner. That was disappointing. I finally found a nice digital outside display with a car type sensor, not an indoor outdoor sensor that I will discreetly mount on/near the dash.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you hit the home button on the steering wheel, right side, it will bring a screen up in the center of the dash that says,

Trip 1
Trip 2
Gauges
Diagnostics

Arrow down to GAUGES and push the center button. It lets you select three of several gauges you want to display. I picked the DEF as one of my gauges.

The only thing the new dash doesn't have is an outside temp display like my last Freightliner. That was disappointing. I finally found a nice digital outside display with a car type sensor, not an indoor outdoor sensor that I will discreetly mount on/near the dash.
Thanks Redbaron73, Don and Gene,

I will be out at my rig and try to change the settings. I looked until I was blind, but did not see the way to change the dials. I can see from the video clip from Red Baron, that it is there though. The Freightliner guy took an action to investigate so he will probably come back to tell me what you guys already know. This is one time that I am glad I was a dummy.

Thanks Gene for the tip on putting the chairs sideways. I thought they wouldn't fit that way, but that will give even more room.

This is why I love this site. Several of you are willing to take the time to educate the rest of us. Much appreciated.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaire1 View Post
Using the controls on the steering wheel you can change the gauges displayed in all three of the lower display
Also many thanks to you, NewAire1.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #9

We have more observations after a 300 mile test trip.

First and foremost, we are loving this coach so far. I knew it would be easier to maneuver, but I am blown away on how much easier it is than our previous 45 foot Anthem.

Thanks to all for the earlier question I had. As Gene (Ann and Gene) posted, the solution of turning the chairs sideways worked perfectly.

I wrote a separate thread on a question about the solar panels.

I was extremely excited to try out the comfort drive, but I talked it up so much that I am a little underwhelmed at its driving characteristics. The steering wheel seems to have about a one inch play in it before it reacts to any input from me. That is true no matter which setting I have comfort drive set. I am wondering if any of you have had any issues with loose steering issues. I am almost certain that it is not an alignment problem, but since the steering wheel travels so far before there is any change that it is easy to over do it. I am going to take it to a freightliner shop, but am wondering if this is what I should expect since I didn’t have this much play in the steering wheel.

Thanks to all of you for your kind replies.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #10

Are you sure there is steering play or are you failing to feel reaction. I would open the driver window and watch the tire as you move the steering wheel.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #11

I am happy for you and your new coach, however not being able to access the bathroom and kitchen area with the slides closed would be a Deal Breaker for us. I go rid of a very nice TT just for that reason and it was the Top Priority on what I now have or will ever have. Enjoy your new rig.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
I am happy for you and your new coach, however not being able to access the bathroom and kitchen area with the slides closed would be a Deal Breaker for us. I go rid of a very nice TT just for that reason and it was the Top Priority on what I now have or will ever have. Enjoy your new rig.
I don’t know if you read the earlier posts, but Gene pointed out that I could turn the chairs sideways and that provided plenty of path to get to the entire coach with slides closed.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad bull View Post
Are you sure there is steering play or are you failing to feel reaction. I would open the driver window and watch the tire as you move the steering wheel.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am pretty sure. The coach doesn’t react to steering input until the steering wheel travels about an inch in either direction. Similar t a 196o’s car.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #14

My New Aire is very quick to respond and nowhere near an inch of steering wheel play.

Tags
air