Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New Aire Frig Run Time on Battery

2 questions about the Frig. One, how long can the Refrigerator run on batteries only? 2. Does the refrigerator or I guess it would be the inverter get power while the engine is running?
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2019, 05:18 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneil7163 View Post
2 questions about the Frig. One, how long can the Refrigerator run on batteries only? 2. Does the refrigerator or I guess it would be the inverter get power while the engine is running?
From the 2020 specs, you seem to have 8!!!! 6 volt batteries. Answer...a long time but then watch the induction cook top. Engine should charge the house batteries when running.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Tom to the forum.
This link will give you many answers and the ones below in my signature also.
All your batteries will be charged by your B.I.M. charging system while plugged in and driving by your alternator.
If you have AGS off your Gen it will auto start the Gen to charge your batteries.
The large link I just gave you has three 2018 NA's bt Idelup, turbopilot and cyre that explains many items on your coach and there functions and many of the problems they had have been corrected by them or Newmar, many New Aire owners now enjoy a great coach.
You have instructions on slide use and I would follow them hopefully your PDI was a good one by dealer, if you have any questions just ask on forum before doing something if you do not under stand something,all questions on a new thread not tail end of someone else thread.
Any time you use coach BCO is on and coach is plugged in even at home to at least a 110 outlet to keep batteries fully charged.
When moving slides always have plugged in or Gen on to supple a good 12v for motors and pump and check your reveal of your FWS.
Just a few items to stay out of trouble, enjoy your coach and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Too many variables for anyone to give you a firm answer. Outside and inside temperatures plus the refrigerator/freezer set points all will conspire to run the compressors on a variable duty cycle.

I have an NA with 1kw of solar power on the roof. When my coach is in storage, depending on variables mentioned above my coach batteries will deplete to between 80 and 85 percent during short Summer nights leaving the refrigerator on when the coach is in storage. With the solar panels and "normal' cloud cover my batteries will be back to 100% SOC by 10 to 11 am the next day.

Without solar panels to help and all other electrical demand off I would not let the coach run on batteries with refrigerator on more than 48 hours. That may be stretching it with high Summer time temperatures.

With sufficient solar assist in the Summer there is no reason to turn off the refrigerator when the coach is not being used.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #5

Not sure if you are asking because you want to spend the night without being plugged in or you want to store the coach for a short time without power.

We can do an overnight stop without running our battery bank down. Overnight we will have a sound machine on, charging our phones, a couple night lights, LED's outside under the coach, plus the frig. Our AGS never has to start the generator (we have eight 6-volt)
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
So...if you have 6 or 8 batteries like the spec says, you should be fine for at least 24 hours without any charging. I can do that in my coach with 4 12 volt deep cycles, a 26 cu ft Frigidaire, a CPAP and a bunch of electronics. Have measured my SOC before and after and plotted it during. A big reefer averages about 80 watts or 7 amps of DC, including inverter losses.

If you do this a lot, get an SOC meter and you will never worry again. Time to charge is based on SOC, not voltage.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Not sure if you are asking because you want to spend the night without being plugged in or you want to store the coach for a short time without power.

We can do an overnight stop without running our battery bank down. Overnight we will have a sound machine on, charging our phones, a couple night lights, LED's outside under the coach, plus the frig. Our AGS never has to start the generator (we have eight 6-volt)
Yeah, I was mostly thinking if I had enough for overnight or 24hrs.
Thanks
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Yeah, I was mostly thinking if I had enough for overnight or 24hrs.
Thanks
My experience is 24 to 30 hours on battery before you get close to the 50% battery discharge level, I don't have solar. This is with the fridge running and average use of other power draws. Use of heavy power draws (microwave, hair dryer, etc) could reduce the time a good deal.
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, battery