Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 04:44 AM   #1

New Aire - Girard, Care Free Awnings Not quite right

I've had a problem with the Care Free awning over the door kind of catching at a couple of points as it goes out and then finally going out as it should. It also does not appear to be retracting all the way in leaving about a 3/4'' gap from being fully in and flush. The large Girard I though worked flawlessly until I was on top of the coach trying to figure out the Care Free and I noticed the Girard was not in all the way either. The first thing I noticed was that about 2 inches of the frabric was exposed to all the elements and upon further examination found that the awning was freely dangling and easily bobbing up and down. From the ground you would never notice this and of course this is not right because of the awning not being supported by the end brackets as it should be. The three arms that extend out were the only thing holding the awning and they were being stressed by the weight of the awning flopping up and down while the coach was being driven. I have an appointment with NIRV - Dallas in early May for that and a couple of other minor issues (satellite doesn't work - says no "No LNB Voltage").
Anyone else had the awning problem? If not, you may want to examine your awnings closure point. All kinds of bad things can happen when an awning is not fully retracted while under way and also the constant sun exposure is not good. Thanks for listening to this long winded post.
R. D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
rdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 04:55 AM   #2

The Girards have adjustment screws for in and out limits on the motor drive. Check your manual for adjustment.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There are two limit screws on the end of the Girard (motor side). If you extend the awning about 2', you'll see the two screws. In your bag of manuals, they gave you a black plastic tool that looks like a large coffee stirrer. That's used to adjust the two limit switches. You need to give a 1/4 turn to the (IN) limit switch and see if it brings in the awning. If it doesn't, but improves, another 1/4 turn.

In regards to your awning, the no LNB voltage is often the short cable that runs down the arm of your sat dish. That block that is on the end of the arm, with the round discs, is the LNB. There is a coax cable that attaches to the LNB, runs inside the hollow arm to the base of the unit.....about 24". Mine went bad giving me the same error. I called Winegard and they said to just buy a short piece of coax and replace it. I opted to have them send me the OEM cable since we were on the road and it would be there when I got home.

Lastly.....there are many adjustments in the Carefree awning over the door. You can adjust the height, adjust the limit switches which makes it close tighter and move the awning front to back within the awning box. I found when I adjusted mine, it took a lot of study and trial and error to determine the adjustments. If you're not up to that, I would leave that one alone. It's one of those things that once you know how to do it, it's simple.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There are two limit screws on the end of the Girard (motor side). If you extend the awning about 2', you'll see the two screws. In your bag of manuals, they gave you a black plastic tool that looks like a large coffee stirrer. That's used to adjust the two limit switches. You need to give a 1/4 turn to the (IN) limit switch and see if it brings in the awning. If it doesn't, but improves, another 1/4 turn.

In regards to your awning, the no LNB voltage is often the short cable that runs down the arm of your sat dish. That block that is on the end of the arm, with the round discs, is the LNB. There is a coax cable that attaches to the LNB, runs inside the hollow arm to the base of the unit.....about 24". Mine went bad giving me the same error. I called Winegard and they said to just buy a short piece of coax and replace it. I opted to have them send me the OEM cable since we were on the road and it would be there when I got home.

Lastly.....there are many adjustments in the Carefree awning over the door. You can adjust the height, adjust the limit switches which makes it close tighter and move the awning front to back within the awning box. I found when I adjusted mine, it took a lot of study and trial and error to determine the adjustments. If you're not up to that, I would leave that one alone. It's one of those things that once you know how to do it, it's simple.
Thanks Don, I hope to crawl up there this week when the weather allows it. I had read somewhere in the past, maybe another forum or someone with the same problem, about the coax cable potential problem. I will check it out. I should have a short coax cable somewhere to use as a dummy to give it a shot before replacing it. I got a Installation Manual but no User Manual or Trouble Shooting guide. I did get a DVD that I haven't checked out yet. The Girard is hanging out about 2 inches so I may be able to see the adjustment
screws, I did find the "coffee stirrer" tool". Always wondered what that was for. I'll report back after I have checked it out. It may have been that way from the factory all along. Sure would be nice if that is all it takes.
R. D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
Old 04-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
The Girards have adjustment screws for in and out limits on the motor drive. Check your manual for adjustment.
Jim, I didn't get a Manual, but did get a DVD, Maybe the info is on it. I'll check it out. Thanks for the help. I'll report back later - good or bad. May be a while though, it's raining here and windy.
R. D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341

Tags
air, awning