RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

New Aire Handling Questions

We were finally able to take our new 2020 New Aire 3543 on a real trip. The trip was over 1800 miles with mostly mountain driving (I-70 from Southwestern Utah to Denver and back) so a LOT of grades and really bad roads. I have a couple of issues/concerns for other New Aire owners:

1. I really struggled keeping the coach in my lane especially with crosswinds and being passed by semi's. My previous coach was a tag axle 43 foot Class A so I realize a lot of the struggle could be the lack of tag. My previous previous coach was a 32 foot Class C so no tag and a lot of "tail" so we got blown around a lot. Is this normal for this coach?

2. Being relegated to the slow lane on most of the trip we got stuck (literally) in the truck ruts in the roadway. In the Eisenhower tunnel the ruts nearly threw me into the tunnel wall. My front tire pressures are 115 psi so not excessive for the weight of the coach. It was a major battle getting out of the ruts to pass or avoid junk in the road.

3. The 450hp engine surprised me with it's lack of punch. Many folks we talked with about the larger New Aire was the weight to power ratio of the larger coach. We were expecting more from this engine. My previous coach had a 400 hp (same torque) but was pushing 6000 more pounds and it was much more responsive even on the steep grades. I realize I am early in the break-in of the engine but this engine was a slug.

4. The Freightliner "glass dash" is nice but trying to adjust the Comfort Drive is a dangerous activity since you have to take your eyes off the road to navigate several menu items deep to make the adjustment. Newmar needs to go back to the dial for this adjustment.

5. Speaking of CD...not sure I could tell much about the system other than I liked it 4-5 most of the time. Any lighter and I felt out of control. Maybe it does better on flat straight roads (none of which existed on this trip).

6. Even without the truck ruts I found the coach wandering down the road. I was constantly adjusting to keep in in the lane even with no wind. I am thinking either alignment or some issue in the suspension or steering linkage.

7. The coach threw multiple Faults on the trip...9 to be exact. The TMPS failed on startup and for at least an hour then most of the tires showed pressure and temp. but the one that did not did not trip a dash error message. The DEF Low warning came on ALL the time despite the gauge showing the DEF tank to be at 85% (visually verified at the tank). The various fault codes included one for the air system going too low (never lost the system or brakes). This may have been due to a very steep downgrade with a lot of rocking and rolling of the coach down a very twisty section of the highway. Despite the Engine Brake I still need the service brakes a lot to keep my speed down enough for the Engine Brake to not drop out. Brake system checks later on failed to show any issues with air pressure or compressor function. The other codes include some Nemar codes and some Freightliner codes. This is still an open repair order.

8. The insulation in the coach has been reported by many to be an outstanding feature of Newmar products. This is our first Newmar and I did not notice a substantial difference between this coach and our previous one at keeping the coach cool. We were in the heat more than the cold so I can't really comment on the heating aspects other than I love the heated floors. Even with the dark shades down on the sunny side of the coach as well as the outside window awnings; it was still a struggle for the two AC units to keep up.

9. I thought the Oasis burner ran too much with both AC elements on when we were just using it to heat water for dishes. Our previous coach had a single AC heating element and I could do a lot of dishes with just it heating the water. Not sure if this an Oasis quirk or a problem.

10. Our water pump and related plumbing systems has some issues. While on Manual Fill for City Water the tank would slowly fill by itself...3-4 gallons per day. When we used just the pump with the City water off, most of the time the pump would not go off. NIRVC Service says these are related and will be looking for a cause.

Overall, we are happy with the coach. we are still adjusting to the smaller living spaces and small bathroom with only one sink. We are struggling with storage space as our previous coach and TONs of it both in the "house" and the "basement". Newmar has a lot to learn about full utilization of space. The interior cabinets are really small and the placement of various utility items and electrical panels could use some improvement. Location of wiring, electrical junction boxes, awning controls and the other stuff they just stuck on the middle of a storage bay wall is a head scratcher. Why would anyone mount awning control panels with switches to open the main patio awnings at mid-height in a compartment intended for storage? I will be moving these when I get the coach back from NIRVC.

This post is not intended to be negative criticism of Nemar but is just a listing of my experience with a new to me product with the hope that other owners can provide some feedback on their experience so I can make an informed decision on if further investigation and or repairs are needed.

Thanks in advance for your pertinent and constructive comments.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #2

I have been dreaming about the day when I can upgrade my 2018 Ventana 3436 to a New Aire 35XX. One of my biggest wish list items is more power. I have been up and over Vail Pass/Eisenhower tunnel 3 times now in the last 2 years. The first time was in our Baystar Sport 2813. The next two were in our Ventana 3436. We were towing a 4,000 lb toad all three times. There was minimal difference between the gas coach and the DP other than the amount of noise they made going up and down the grades. We were down to 35-40 mph all three times. I was hoping the 450/1250 cummins would be a huge improvement, but it does not sound like you had that experience.

I think the shorter wheelbases are just more suseptible to cross winds and passing trucks than the 38+ foot coaches. The Ventana (which I have not modified) is much more stable than the Baystar Sport (on which I spent 4-8K in suspension upgrades) We test drove several shorter DP's before buying the Ventana, and the Ventana was much better than any of the others.

I am hoping other New Aire 35xx owners will chime in here and let us know what they think.

joelminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new New Aire.
Some items you may want to look at if not already, this first link will have threads on the NA when it first cam out and other updates since on operation.
This thread has to do with your Comfort Drive and you can ask question on thread for the engineer who help design system.
Your front tire pressure seems high to me could be lower. Did you get coach weight after loading? Tire Pressures questions answered by Tireman9.
In the larger thread has info as to the OASIS System both electric elements do not need to be on.
Hope this is a start for answering some of your questions and I am sure other NA owners will have direct answers for you besides others mentioned.
Enjoy your coach and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post

1. I really struggled keeping the coach in my lane especially with crosswinds and being passed by semi's. My previous coach was a tag axle 43 foot Class A so I realize a lot of the struggle could be the lack of tag. My previous previous coach was a 32 foot Class C so no tag and a lot of "tail" so we got blown around a lot. Is this normal for this coach?
I would suggest less tire pressure. I recall driving home from a service appt and was all over the road. When I checked my tire pressure it was much higher than I usually have it...don't remember what it was. I keep mine at 100 front and 95 rear. You really need to do a 4 corner weight and adjust according to mfr specs.
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
Rd1

On handling, if you have not had an alignment, you might want to have one performed. Please note, not all alignment shops are competent. Also, make sure they have proper alignment equipment. some shops only have a pitt for the steer axle and have to lay under the coach to perform any inspection on rear axles. AVOID those shops. a proper alignment equipment would have the entire coach on an alignment rack, where the tech would have access to all axles underneath.
Along with alignment, front and rear ride heights should be set accordingly, so as the TP (see next). If the shop tech does not check TP before alignment, you just have to wonder about their quality.

For TP, assume you have all corner, or at least ea axle weighted? without knowing the actual corner or axles weight on your coach, the TP is just a guess. best to have the coach weighted, if you haven't already.

CD setting is a personal choice. however, for hwy driving, sometimes it is best to have a lower/harder setting and use the easier settings for city street, campground, etc.. May help with too much steering wheel input, due to easy steering setting. You also might want to check the polarity of CD wire connected to the column (usually bottom back side of the column). fccc production has a habit of plugin the CD backward. part of attention to detail. see if CD setting 1 is the easiest or the hardest?

DEF problem is a freightliner issue. any FCCC dealer should be able to correct that problem. it is not new, some units do have it.

The insulation, yes you have to wonder. However, besides that one, there is also the potential for significant leak from the slides. MUCH MUCH more than I have experienced with other brands, even 20 yrs ago!
To test that, on a bright sunny day, shut all night shades down, turn off all lights inside, then look all around the slides, under cabinets, sofa, etc. see how much sun lights comes thru. Also, on a windy day, with slides open and facing the wind, you can also find where leaks are. that would keep ac running in hot weather and heat non stop in cold temps. I have to use blankets to cover the entire top of the FWS on my unit. cold blows in. it is just the mark of Hi-line coach. very unfortunate. Newmar does make a beautiful coach, but quality, it is not the Mahlon quality anymore, thats for sure. and don't argue that with newmar owners, they are sold on the looks.

The oasis elec elements, I think were about 20k btu, ea, and the burner, I think was at 50k btu. the heat exchanger for oasis, last I recall is only about a pint(?), and if the source water is cold, they'll kick in, but, you might want to check that. oasis tech is the best source, specially Vic at their canadian center, though, I am sure guys in the US are just as good and helpful.

for water issues, often, it seems the one way valve is placed the wrong way. another example of quality and attention to detail!! if I understand the 2nd part of #10, it sounds like your pump is not priming. sometimes they do that. use the low point water source (hand shower in wet bay), run it on and off with the pump on, and should hear the pump will attempt to prime and then stop, when water is turned off.

for engine issue, best to have an fccc dealer read codes of the ECM to see if there is a problem, you should also be able to check bost pressure on your dash somewhere. not familiar with the new digital dash.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Glad you got out in your rig. I was at NIRV LV from mid-april to mid-may for service. Saw several NA in the camp/service parking area come and go. One particularly new and good looking Wisteria color just sat there. I assume since they did not prep it for the front lot, it must be spoken for already. Maybe yours?

I had a 40' CS before and compared to that this NA drives straight as an arrow and passing truckers have little impact. I tend to keep CD 5 - 6 as well. I have also been is some serious wind and am really impressed with the lack of fighting I have to do.

2. Being relegated to the slow lane on most of the trip we got stuck (literally) in the truck ruts in the roadway. In the Eisenhower tunnel the ruts nearly threw me into the tunnel wall. My front tire pressures are 115 psi so not excessive for the weight of the coach. It was a major battle getting out of the ruts to pass or avoid junk in the road.

NIRV LV did a 4 corner weight while I was there. I keep the front between 95 - 100 and rear 90 - 95.

8. The insulation in the coach has been reported by many to be an outstanding feature of Newmar products. This is our first Newmar and I did not notice a substantial difference between this coach and our previous one at keeping the coach cool. We were in the heat more than the cold so I can't really comment on the heating aspects other than I love the heated floors. Even with the dark shades down on the sunny side of the coach as well as the outside window awnings; it was still a struggle for the two AC units to keep up.

While at NIRV LV it would be 95 - 100 during the day and I was facing west more or less. my 2 15,000 AC units kept it at 70 - 75 (if I recall). I certainly felt cool and comfortable inside. Still, would love me a magna shade.

9. I thought the Oasis burner ran too much with both AC elements on when we were just using it to heat water for dishes. Our previous coach had a single AC heating element and I could do a lot of dishes with just it heating the water. Not sure if this an Oasis quirk or a problem.

I find the ambient temp and therefore the temp of the water in the tank is a big factor. Which also means if you are on city water, it take more to heat than straight from the holding tank. The water in either sink is scalding hot just with AC 1 and 2 that I always have to dial the hot back a 1/4 way. I always turn on the diesel burner for the dishwasher, shower or washing machine. Otherwise, I never need it on.

10. Our water pump and related plumbing systems has some issues. While on Manual Fill for City Water the tank would slowly fill by itself...3-4 gallons per day. When we used just the pump with the City water off, most of the time the pump would not go off. NIRVC Service says these are related and will be looking for a cause.

I have a water pump not wanting to shut off frequently too. Started about a month ago. Seems to happen nearly 100% of the time when I am just on battery power and using the sinks or toilet, so I manually shut off the pump now. Seems to shut off fine if I am using the shower. Seems much happier on generator or shore power, but not 100% of the time.

Not sure what I am going to do about it yet. Guess I am still trying to find a definite pattern before I start spending money. Creative thought: Maybe I have an air bubble or something. I have run the fresh tanks too low twice by accident. Pump is supposed to have a safety measure to protect itself. I have a bounty of water pressure though.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhound View Post
Glad you got out in your rig. I was at NIRV LV from mid-april to mid-may for service. Saw several NA in the camp/service parking area come and go. One particularly new and good looking Wisteria color just sat there. I assume since they did not prep it for the front lot, it must be spoken for already. Maybe yours?

I had a 40' CS before and compared to that this NA drives straight as an arrow and passing truckers have little impact. I tend to keep CD 5 - 6 as well. I have also been is some serious wind and am really impressed with the lack of fighting I have to do.

NIRV LV did a 4 corner weight while I was there. I keep the front between 95 - 100 and rear 90 - 95.

While at NIRV LV it would be 95 - 100 during the day and I was facing west more or less. my 2 15,000 AC units kept it at 70 - 75 (if I recall). I certainly felt cool and comfortable inside. Still, would love me a magna shade.

I find the ambient temp and therefore the temp of the water in the tank is a big factor. Which also means if you are on city water, it take more to heat than straight from the holding tank. The water in either sink is scalding hot just with AC 1 and 2 that I always have to dial the hot back a 1/4 way. I always turn on the diesel burner for the dishwasher, shower or washing machine. Otherwise, I never need it on.

I have a water pump not wanting to shut off frequently too. Started about a month ago. Seems to happen nearly 100% of the time when I am just on battery power and using the sinks or toilet, so I manually shut off the pump now. Seems to shut off fine if I am using the shower. Seems much happier on generator or shore power, but not 100% of the time.

Not sure what I am going to do about it yet. Guess I am still trying to find a definite pattern before I start spending money. Creative thought: Maybe I have an air bubble or something. I have run the fresh tanks too low twice by accident. Pump is supposed to have a safety measure to protect itself. I have a bounty of water pressure though.

I have a 2020 New Aire 3543 that replaced my 2019 3343 so I will take a stab at some of you issues.
1. The Comfort Drive reacts unlike anything you have ever driven and will take a little getting used to. I had the same problem as you but once I understood the CD, relaxed and trusted it to do its job it got much smoother and easier to handle really quick. Love it now and all those handling problems you describe have gone away. I carry 115 on fronts because I have the axle loaded to capacity and that causes no problem but you very well could have an alignment problem that can cause several of your handling issues.

2. The 450 is certainly not equal in acceleration to the 600 in the bigger coaches but I find it very adequate AFTER a few thousand miles. I had a 600 before my first New Aire do I know the difference. You have to ďdriveĒ the 450 a little more, plan ahead and keep all the speed up you can and you will be fine. With the new computer software and clean air equipment none of the big diesels have really good acceleration anymore, they require a little more time to spoil up and get the turbo completely online.I think your problem in the rus is a combination of the ruts themselves and your getting used to trusting the CD to help you, plus getting the feel for the coach. You will be fine.

8. We have had our coach in very hot humid weather and the 2 ACs have no problem keeping it cool. There have been some reports of Newmar coaches having ducts partially plugged with scrap insulating wrap left in the ducts and restricting air flow. Also I hamate heard of a few that did not get enough insulation in the front cap, that can be fixed.

9. Our two electric elements supply enough to always wash dishes, have scalding hot water at the dinkís or take two nice but not extremely long showers with no diesel turned on. You may have one element not working.

10. Sounds like NIRVC is on this problem. The water pump is adjustable plus there is a control module in the compute systems that can cause problems and may need to be replaced. A complete 12 bolt reset may also cure this problem at least temporarily.

Good luck and report back over time as you get the solutions to these issues and continue to enjoy you coach. We vebours and NIRVC. All JMHO
Old 06-28-2020, 12:26 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Want to thank all of you for current, real world experiences with these rigs. Very helpful - Iím going to monitor this one from now on.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:09 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire pressure by weight.
Alignment.
Ride height checked.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My two cents worth....

1. Comfort drive is an adjustment and experimental learning thing. In time it will be just like any other control and second nature. But while it’s new to me I’m constantly fiddling with it under varying conditions to see what is does and doesn’t do for me at various settings. Quite enjoyable and even though I understand it and have done all the reading, there is lot of subtle learning and adjustment going on as I really learn it. Fun stuff and as a new user, I’m sure I am not yet fully benefiting from its capabilities.

2. Power. I drove powerful diesel fire apparatus for four decades, learned them, watched them evolve, and developed a good understand of operating heavy vehicles with diesel engines expeditiously. The 8v92 equipped rigs of the late 80’s really did accelerate well. Most didn’t and you really had to learn to anticipate everything and prepare in advance. These emission controlled modern diesels are not going to respond to your foot like they did 10 years ago, but the torque is still there.

What was your previous coach?
Old 06-28-2020, 11:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
1. Comfort drive is an adjustment and experimental learning thing. In time it will be just like any other control and second nature. But while itís new to me Iím constantly fiddling with it under varying conditions to see what is does and doesnít do for me at various settings. Quite enjoyable and even though I understand it and have done all the reading, there is lot of subtle learning and adjustment going on as I really learn it. Fun stuff and as a new user, Iím sure I am not yet fully benefiting from its capabilities.

2. Power. I drove powerful diesel fire apparatus for four decades, learned them, watched them evolve, and developed a good understand of operating heavy vehicles with diesel engines expeditiously. The 8v92 equipped rigs of the late 80ís really did accelerate well. Most didnít and you really had to learn to anticipate everything and prepare in advance. These emission controlled modern diesels are not going to respond to your foot like they did 10 years ago, but the torque is still there.

What was your previous coach?
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42QDP
Old 06-29-2020, 09:01 PM   #12

We have seen many handling complaints and most are corrected by tire pressure. 115 is going to be way high for front tires.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #13

I have driven back and forth across the USA a number of times. I have only used I 70 once. We have a 42' tag coach with a large diesel, but I find that route not fun to drive. My point, you took a very hard route for your shakedown trip??? Seems like an easier route would have been a better choice. Get used to it and get the bugs out first.

I do remember the road ruts. I did not find them that much of an issue. For us going up the mountains was not a big deal, but the downhills were very long and very steep. Tag coaches do handle better than non tags, usually. Ours is very stable without any electronics like comfort drive.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #14

2019 NADP Tire Pressures

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyII View Post
I would suggest less tire pressure. I recall driving home from a service appt and was all over the road. When I checked my tire pressure it was much higher than I usually have it...don't remember what it was. I keep mine at 100 front and 95 rear. You really need to do a 4 corner weight and adjust according to mfr specs.

I have a 2019 NADP 3343 which I had corner weighed at Freightliner in Gafney. Based on the weights the tire chart calls for 105 lbs in the front tires and 95 lbs in the back tires.

Bill

BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air