Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
New Aire HWH Driver's Slide Wiring Almost Cut

I noticed quite a bit of water in the bays under the driver's slideout during my departure (it has been raining a ton), so after parked at my new destination I went to look again. That is when I notice the wiring bundle for the slide out no longer zipped to the metal arm and the cover was all a mess. THEN I saw the big fat wire was nearly cut in half. I guess it got caught by that arm and got chewed up.

argh... Guess my plan of continuing to head down the Oregon 101 is over. Time to head directly to Nappanee now. This project looks too big for anyone else take on without a lot of guessing. (IMHO)

Do yourself a favor and keep an eye on your wires, so you don't end up like me. Thankfully, the slide still works but probably not much longer. So, once I bring it in it is going to stay in until my service appt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7997.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	302316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7860.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	302317  

Name:	IMG_4623.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	302318  
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #2

What a bummer! sorry to hear about that and thanks for the warning
Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have a lot of wiring there, I would check the wires and see if any copper exposed and use electrical tape and cover than zip tie the bundles of wires together so they act as one as they unfold or close into coach.
Call Newmar for one of their Mobil Tech's in your area and maybe you will not need to make a trip to them.
Very unusual to see that many loose wires like that unprotected.
This thread by Idelup may show what the wiring should look like in that area for a 2018 NA when we had three members pulling apart their NA's looking for problems in NA's first year.
You will find the other two members threads in the NA Section of this big thread they all have many pictures.
This is the thread that discuss slides.

Looks to me your missing a wire loom.

Anyone owning a NEW AIRE should be looking through these links they are always in the big sticky, I will not be here for ever to guide you to all this stuff you need to know even if you can not fix the problems that will happen guarantied.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
Commercial Member

are any of the wires broken? if not, tape them separately, and zip tie them back to the channel. if they are, the wires should be marked or color coded maybe?
if everything still works, i would tape it and continue on my trip.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #5

Agree with azpete. Looks like you can tape them up if not broken and tie strap them back in place. They changed the design from 2018 where they had metal straps welded to the wire channel arm. You might want to put something other than plastic tie straps through those holes when you finish the trip. Pretty thin metal and may have just cut through the tie straps. Thin white wire in the bundle is for the thermostat. If splicing that one it should be soldered to keep any additional resistance to a minimum.

2018 pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	919656A8-BA5A-42FE-8647-E53A7DC76E3C.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	302341  
BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This latest picture looks like the folding elbow under slides with only a 110 cable and 12v cable found on many slide systems for LR slides.
The OP should check wiring as said and tie wires together, close slide and leave closed, call Newmar give them the pictures of what they look like now and how they should look in Idelups picture, any continued use of slide may cause more problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Walker if you haven’t already buttoned that up, I would pull all the wires out of the plastic loom, separate every wire, and examine them all individually for any damage, then proceed as stated. I’d also take a good pic with fill flash of each damaged wire for reference before you close it up. Good luck with this and thanks for putting it out there. Once you do all that I agree with others that the urgency is over and the Oregon coast can once again take precedence.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yup. It is the exterior folding elbow you see under the LR slide. I guess the zip ties from the factor didn't last, the wires fell down and got caught up in the elbow when I brought the slide in.

I agree, once I close this slide I don't feel comfortable to keep using it. Last thing I need is for it to decide to not close anymore. So, with that in mind, I might as well keep heading down the 101. Still waiting for service to give me an appointment date. I am not expecting much before Thanksgiving.

The big fat wire has the worse damage. Looks like it was crushed and ground up quite a bit. The wire is definitely exposed. Several of the little wires don't look 100% either, but none completely severed at least. So, I taped up all the exposed wire and went crazy with the zip ties. It now looks more like BPEAS image.

Related or not? I lost power to wall panel on this slide and the bedroom lights and window awning. Found a blade fuse blown in the bedroom closet that is marked for the LR slide. It'll be interesting to see when I close up the rig if that happens again.

Definitely adding eyeball this band of wires to my departure checklist going forward.

I appreciate the responses. Thank you
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, driver, hwh, slide, wiring