RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #1

New Aire Jack Question

I understand the procedure for retracting the jacks on my 3343 but the question comes up:
When the jacks are down and you start the engine to bring them up ...do you wait till the bags air up before retracting them?
In my reading of the owners manual it doesn’t specify but if you start retraction immediately after the engine is started it comes down pretty hard on the suspension and doesn’t feel quite right?
Am I being too concerned or should I wait for the bags to air up?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #2

Most people that I know (myself included) raise the jacks then start the engine and let the air bags fill as the air compressor is filling the air tanks. Once the compressor "pops off" then they drive away

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Most people that I know (myself included) raise the jacks then start the engine and let the air bags fill as the air compressor is filling the air tanks. Once the compressor "pops off" then they drive away
Ditto...I start the engine after the jacks are up and the travel light comes on.
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
I understand the procedure for retracting the jacks on my 3343 but the question comes up:
When the jacks are down and you start the engine to bring them up ...do you wait till the bags air up before retracting them?
In my reading of the owners manual it doesn’t specify but if you start retraction immediately after the engine is started it comes down pretty hard on the suspension and doesn’t feel quite right?
Am I being too concerned or should I wait for the bags to air up?
I try to let the air pressure build up before retracting the jacks, especially if I don't dump the airbags and level it manually when I park. Depends on the slope of the site and exhaust pipes for generator and Oasis being on or very close to the ground. Not much height on the New Aire. If you don't let it air back up the coach does drop pretty hard. Not a big fan of that. Unfortunately you then get to listen to the alarm reminding you that you started the engine with jacks down and slides out. Then you need to shut off the engine back off to bring the slides in, at least on the 2018. I heard that they may have changed it on the 2019 models.

I find the easiest way on a level spot is auto-level. Then it doesn't drop much when retracting the jacks, even if the air hasn't built up.
BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #5

I wait for air pressure to build some, maybe not all the way, then store the jacks. Seems to be the best approach.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
...When the jacks are down and you start the engine to bring them up ...do you wait till the bags air up before retracting them?...
Timekeeper-

I don't start the engine to bring up the jacks - just turn ignition on accessory, choose retract, then when complete start the engine to air up. Maybe I should change my sequence?

Good to see you last week at Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort!
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardSimmons View Post

I don't start the engine to bring up the jacks - just turn ignition on accessory, choose retract, then when complete start the engine to air up. Maybe I should change my sequence?
I’m doing it as you describe Ward. It works for me.

I understand that having some air in the bags would help stop the rapid settling we occasionally experience raising the jacks, but I really don’t like the “jacks down” alarm blaring with the engine running.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Timekeeper-

Nice meeting you as well Ward
Old 04-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
I’m doing it as you describe Ward. It works for me.

I understand that having some air in the bags would help stop the rapid settling we occasionally experience raising the jacks, but I really don’t like the “jacks down” alarm blaring with the engine running.
If you read the manual it states to start the engine first before initiating the jack down sequence??
I agree with your statement on the “jacks down” alarm.....but I’m married long enough to be able to ignore some temporary blaring.

Yes, on the 2019 NA ( not my 2018) you can bring the slides in with the engine running!

Thanks all for your responses....
Old 04-13-2019, 05:39 AM   #10
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From the 2019 New Aire Manual

EXTENDING THE SLIDEOUTS
1. Park the coach on a reasonably level campsite.
2. Leave the coach at ride-height with air in the air bags (if equipped with air
suspension) or on normal suspension (coaches without air suspension).
3. Plug the coach into shore power (if available) or start the generator to increase the voltage for better slideout operation.
4. For a full wall slideout, visually inspect the front vertical trim for adequate clearance. The spacing should look even from top to bottom. (See image.)
5. Verify that the path of the slideout is unobstructed and free from any surrounding objects, both inside and outside of the coach.
6. Once the appropriate conditions are met, follow the operating instructions posted in your coach to extend the slideouts.
7. Deploy the leveling jacks.

RETRACTING THE SLIDEOUTS
1. Retract the leveling jacks.
2. Start the coach.
3. Allow the coach air suspension to fill and return to ride height (units without air suspension will return to normal
suspension).
4. Turn the engine off.
5. For a full wall slideout, visually inspect the front vertical trim for adequate clearance. The spacing should look
even from top to bottom. (See image for reference.)
6. Verify that the path of the slideout is unobstructed and free from any surrounding objects, both inside and outside of the coach. This includes any water or debris that may have collected on the slideout roof or the topper awning.
7. Retract the slideouts.
8. Inspect all slideouts for complete retraction.
9. If the coach is equipped with manual lock arms, make sure to lock them.
10. Unplug the coach from shore power when you are ready to depart.

IGNITION LOCKOUT
Due to the slideout safety feature commonly referred to as ‘ignition lockout’, the operation of your slideout will be prohibited under one or more of the following conditions:
• Partial slideout operation is prohibited when the key is in the accessory or run position, allowing the slideout to retract, but not extend.
• Total slideout operation is prohibited when the module receives an ignition signal when the key is in the run position. However, the slideout will operate in the accessory position, because it does not receive an ignition signal.
• Total slideout operation is prohibited when the ignition switch is in either the accessory or run position.
Total slideout operation is prohibited when the park brake is not set.
• The disabling of the slideout is based on the individual slideout control module programming and the ignition switch circuit signal.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
From the 2019 New Aire Manual

RETRACTING THE SLIDEOUTS
1. Retract the leveling jacks.
2. Start the coach.
3. Allow the coach air suspension to fill and return to ride height (units without air suspension will return to normal
suspension).
4. Turn the engine off.
5. For a full wall slideout, visually inspect the front vertical trim for adequate clearance. The spacing should look
even from top to bottom. (See image for reference.)
6. Verify that the path of the slideout is unobstructed and free from any surrounding objects, both inside and outside of the coach. This includes any water or debris that may have collected on the slideout roof or the topper awning.
7. Retract the slideouts.
8. Inspect all slideouts for complete retraction.
9. If the coach is equipped with manual lock arms, make sure to lock them.
10. Unplug the coach from shore power when you are ready to depart.

IGNITION LOCKOUT
Due to the slideout safety feature commonly referred to as ‘ignition lockout’, the operation of your slideout will be prohibited under one or more of the following conditions:
• Partial slideout operation is prohibited when the key is in the accessory or run position, allowing the slideout to retract, but not extend.
• Total slideout operation is prohibited when the module receives an ignition signal when the key is in the run position. However, the slideout will operate in the accessory position, because it does not receive an ignition signal.
• Total slideout operation is prohibited when the ignition switch is in either the accessory or run position.
Total slideout operation is prohibited when the park brake is not set.
• The disabling of the slideout is based on the individual slideout control module programming and the ignition switch circuit signal.
My question went to the procedure in the retraction of the jacks not the slide out procedure. The fact seems to be that we should fill the air suspension before we retract.
Didn’t seem correct to me to have the coach take a bounce down when one did not wait for the air up to happen.
Thanks for posting
Old 04-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Timekeeper-

I do the same as you described
Old 04-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
My question went to the procedure in the retraction of the jacks not the slide out procedure. The fact seems to be that we should fill the air suspension before we retract.
Didn’t seem correct to me to have the coach take a bounce down when one did not wait for the air up to happen.
Thanks for posting
Yes I understand. I posted the slideout procedure because it says to retract the jacks first. Starting the engine isn't until step 2.

BTW, we were also at Hilton Head 3/25 - 3/31 in site 382.