Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Two left me two right cameras, where are they located, I knew of the midship camera?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That color picture is very clear. I'm impressed!
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I love the storage for the New Aire. Plane too.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post

Since you had an Earthroamer you have probably paid attention to ground clearance, how is it? Does have any facility for raising the air suspension temporarily for clearance?
Not good. Higher end Newmars have individual airbag control. I am guessing it could be retrofitted to the New Aire. We could blow up the airbags on the EarthRoamer but as I recall it added only 4 or 5 inches. Not much help in a New Aire.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Not good. Higher end Newmars have individual airbag control. I am guessing it could be retrofitted to the New Aire. We could blow up the airbags on the EarthRoamer but as I recall it added only 4 or 5 inches. Not much help in a New Aire.
I know its not a priority for most, but some of these other shorter diesels with lower ground clearance you start scraping on driveway transitions and such (i.e. Thor Palazzo).

Not like your going to offroad in the coach, but it would be nice to have the option to raise the airbags if needed. Might only need a few inches to make it without scraping, will be interesting to hear if that is even an issue.

HD cameras finally! Pretty nice you can see them MyRozie at all, good feature.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Not good. Higher end Newmars have individual airbag control. I am guessing it could be retrofitted to the New Aire.
There are a couple of folks who had HWH Active Air added to their Mountain Aires (IIRC, it could be done as long as a chassis didn't have a similar active system, such as Hadley on a Spartan, already installed.)

There would have to be some real-time development involved since the New Aire is on a new chassis, but that might be an option to add additional air bag and air leveling control.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
There are a couple of folks who had HWH Active Air added to their Mountain Aires (IIRC, it could be done as long as a chassis didn't have a similar active system, such as Hadley on a Spartan, already installed.)

There would have to be some real-time development involved since the New Aire is on a new chassis, but that might be an option to add additional air bag and air leveling control.

Michelle
On the EarthRoamer we had Accuair E-Level coupled with an Oasis 12 volt continuous duty air compressor driving standard off the shelf air bags.

Except for the compressor the system is quite compact. Just monitors each airbag's height and automatically supplies air pressure to each airbag according to computer settings. Compressor can go to 200 psi. Might need separate air tank to not complicate air braking. Don't see any reason this system could not be added to New Aire.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #22

Regarding air-leveling on NewAire. It's a good question since the positioning of the product is toward customers who want excellent fit and finish in a smaller, more agile rig. Makes sense to have a bit more ground clearance when you need it.

I checked with factory on getting an Air Leveling option on the NewAire and I was told it can't be done (or they won't do it). My fall back was to ask instead of full leveling and plus travel mode raising of air bags if I can get some type of temporary lift for bumps. We'll see.

If anyone is told different by the factory please let me know.

On the models we looked at, the Oasis exhaust and the Generator exhaust looked like the low points (don't have measurements handy but I think they were only 5" with air bags inflated")
Skywatcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3850523]Congratulations, sure wish I could MH again might have been my first DP.
Here is info on your EVAN's UNIT. [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/evans-tempcon-water-valve-change-3442.html#post17315
#1[/URL][/B] --- # 2 ---- # 3 -- and possibly if to much warm air coming out when its working.

ENJOY and safe travels.
Big thank you “007”. You pointed me to the Evans documentation. Went through the troubleshooting for compressor not working. Quickly determined it was a bad temperature sensor on the Evans unit. Bypassed the sensor and the air conditioning ran fine. Any experienced RV technician could do this in ten minutes. Instead the dealer wanted me to drive a 200 mile round trip to Freightliner. Ordered the part on line. Easy to install. Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #24

Looking forward to your observations when you get your coach loaded up and are towing your car!
valentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher1 View Post
Regarding air-leveling on NewAire. It's a good question since the positioning of the product is toward customers who want excellent fit and finish in a smaller, more agile rig. Makes sense to have a bit more ground clearance when you need it.

I checked with factory on getting an Air Leveling option on the NewAire and I was told it can't be done (or they won't do it). My fall back was to ask instead of full leveling and plus travel mode raising of air bags if I can get some type of temporary lift for bumps. We'll see.

If anyone is told different by the factory please let me know.
Newmar won't add air leveling to coaches not designed for that option. However, you can go the aftermarket route and have HWH install Active Air which will get you air leveling and enhanced air suspension. The Active Air system will allow you to adjust ride height higher or lower than normal while you are driving which is a great feature. I had it installed on my 38' Ventana LE (2013) and it was amazing the improvement in handling and stability. Not as great an improvement on my Dutch Star but it does drive much better than without and the air leveling is a great bonus.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Newmar won't add air leveling to coaches not designed for that option. However, you can go the aftermarket route and have HWH install Active Air which will get you air leveling and enhanced air suspension. The Active Air system will allow you to adjust ride height higher or lower than normal while you are driving which is a great feature. I had it installed on my 38' Ventana LE (2013) and it was amazing the improvement in handling and stability. Not as great an improvement on my Dutch Star but it does drive much better than without and the air leveling is a great bonus.
Thanks. We did not have jacks on the EarthRoamer but we found most of time we could level the coach with air bags alone.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #27

Continuing my drive along the bleeding edge in the New Aire. I have the Meritor Wabco OnGuardActive Collision Mitigation System on my coach. The dealer has never seen one. Had no idea what the icons meant on the Optiview panel. Coach also has the OptiView LCD panel. So far the new documentation for the CMS and Optiview has not been posted.

In any event, driving the coach in bumper to bumper LA traffic was interesting even though I had no idea how to interpret all the visual and audio annunciations coming from the system. It is clearly working.

The radar antenna is embedded in the lower front mask.

Here is a description of the system:

Quote:
OnGuardACTIVE is a radar-based Collision Mitigation System (CMS) that offers Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Active Braking and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). OnGuardACTIVETM detects objects ahead and assists the driver in recognizing and responding to potentially dangerous driving scenarios that could lead to a rear-end collision. OnGuardACTIVE is always monitoring the road and provides warnings and active braking when deemed necessary, even when cruise control is not set. When an impending collision is detected, OnGuardACTIVE has the ability to provide audible, visual and haptic warnings, automatically reduces engine torque and applies the foundation brakes to help avoid or mitigate a collision.
It tends to get very active when in heavy traffic when folks want to cut in in front of me to fill my gap behind traffic ahead.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #28

Thanks SWag. I may need to go that route with HWH air level (lift), I'm still working it.

TurboPilot - I also ordered the collision avoidance option but was not sure it showed car distance and speeds unless cruise control was activated. Sounds like the warnings and car distance information are always shown which is nice.
Skywatcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, air