Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New Aire Specific recommendation on Flat Tow gear

We are moving from a 2019 Winnebago Horizon 40A DP to a NA3545 and want to get our toad set up, so we seek advice from other NA owners regarding what gear they find to work the best. I'm sure there are many threads on flat towing, and the equipment in general, but what we are wanting to take into account is the incredibly tight turning circle of the New Aire line (that was one of the driving factors for us.) (Yes, we realize that the 33XX turns tighter, but we "need" that king bed, LOL.) Anyway, after seeing a few videos, I believe I remember one NA3343 owner commenting about having to be careful with a full lock turn (parking) when towing his toad. Hence, if we're going to spend money getting the best we can, if anyone has some specific recommendations on a particular brand/model, or whether just adding an extension to the receiver bar is needed/warranted.

FWIW, we think we like the Roadmaster Nighthawk + Invisibrake, etc. setup, but we're not married to that combination. We prefer the most convienience possible and we understand that the Invisibrake is not the least expensive to install. Out local Newmar dealer carries BlueOx, which is of course a fine brand, but I was surprised that their service people said they had never installed an "under the hood" system of any kind (especially if they did not stock it, arrrgghh!)

Anyway, if any of you have some sage advice, we would appreciate your advice on this aspect. We look forward to helping other here as our experience grows.

TIA,
Huevolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
NXR

One thing about the Invisibrake is that it's a "progressive" system rather than a "proportional" system. That means it applies the car's brakes more and more as a function of time rather than in proportion to how much the motorhome is braking.

I use a Roadmaster Nighthawk with the Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO proportional braking system on our gasser. Very fast to connect and disconnect.

I'd go with the Demco Air Force One instead if we had a DP.

Ray
Old 11-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevolas View Post
We are moving from a 2019 Winnebago Horizon 40A DP to a NA3545 and want to get our toad set up, so we seek advice from other NA owners regarding what gear they find to work the best. I'm sure there are many threads on flat towing, and the equipment in general, but what we are wanting to take into account is the incredibly tight turning circle of the New Aire line (that was one of the driving factors for us.) (Yes, we realize that the 33XX turns tighter, but we "need" that king bed, LOL.) Anyway, after seeing a few videos, I believe I remember one NA3343 owner commenting about having to be careful with a full lock turn (parking) when towing his toad. Hence, if we're going to spend money getting the best we can, if anyone has some specific recommendations on a particular brand/model, or whether just adding an extension to the receiver bar is needed/warranted.

FWIW, we think we like the Roadmaster Nighthawk + Invisibrake, etc. setup, but we're not married to that combination. We prefer the most convienience possible and we understand that the Invisibrake is not the least expensive to install. Out local Newmar dealer carries BlueOx, which is of course a fine brand, but I was surprised that their service people said they had never installed an "under the hood" system of any kind (especially if they did not stock it, arrrgghh!)

Anyway, if any of you have some sage advice, we would appreciate your advice on this aspect. We look forward to helping other here as our experience grows.

TIA,

It appears that Blue Ox customer service has taken a dip recently. Many posts about tow bar failures and the company not standing behind a flawed design. I have used Blue Ox tow equipment for 20 years but will switch to Roadmaster the next time I need to buy tow equipment. As far as toad brake equipment I have used several and the Air Force one has been hands down the best. Good luck.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #4

We have a 3545 new aire and started flat towing a ford ranger. We went with a 10000 lb blue ox assembly. But we did go with the m&g engineering air powered braking system. The hardest part was finding a pit to pull the rv over to hook up the air line from the brakes to the coach rear. Hook up tow bars, Electric line, air line and emergency cable and done. Just did a 6800 mile 29 campground trip with not a hitch one. We used to trailer a car. Just flat tow. New aire does not know truck is behind. No trouble in fuel stops either
walterhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all for your feedback so far - as Newmar Newbies, we can use all the advice you can offer.

So far, another semi-local installer has recommended the Stay-In-Play Duo and I watched an eTrailer install video on a very similar Jeep Grand Cherokee. The system itself looked complete and I've read that it is a reliable system. The way they installed the "box" under the hood made it seem a little tight but obviously they wouldn't have used that video as a marketing piece if the hood wouldn't have shut, LOL, so...

We like the thought of the illumination on the Nighthawk in case we use the rear camera to check in night pulls. Of course, I gotta wonder how often we'd find ourselves running with the toad at night. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but we just want the best, most reliable system with the least number of compromises...

@walterhess - thank you for your input on your setup on your 3545. Have you experienced any issues with full lock turning with your toad? I don't really know that we would, but I'm just curious if we'd need to use an extension or not.
Also, are you saying you would, or would not do an air system again. Our semi-local installer says he can get an Air Force One system... Thoughts?
Huevolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #6

I personally recommend the NSA braking system. It connects with a single cable, plus the electrical for lights. It is proportional, with a 200 pound offset. it requires only a steel cable to modify the car, then just sits there, ready to be used.

Take a look, it can't hurt.

No, I don't sell them.

Tom
Old 11-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #7

I have not experienced a full turn lock up. Even with the turns in some suburban settings, in some campgrounds or a small town. I did have to unhook in a pilot oil as I went the wrong way to get out.
I am a firm fan of the air brake systems. I also like the m&g as it keeps the vacuum up to snuff as one travels. Ease of hooking and unhooking. Let me know if you need more na3545 info.
walterhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #8

We went with the Roadmaster Sterling All-terrain tow bar with a Blue Ox Patriot II when we bought the NA. Swapped out the Patriot II with Air Force One and very pleased that we did. Easy connect and disconnect of the F150 in a few minutes.

With the 3343, you can turn shorter than the truck can if you're making a sharp turn of more than 90-120 degrees.
BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM GUY View Post
I personally recommend the NSA braking system. It connects with a single cable, plus the electrical for lights. It is proportional, with a 200 pound offset. it requires only a steel cable to modify the car, then just sits there, ready to be used.

Take a look, it can't hurt.

No, I don't sell them.

Tom

X2. I don't sell them, either. Simplest braking system out there and very strong and sturdy.- Paul

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/...V_Tow_Bar.html
Old 11-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #10

We use blue Ox and Air Force 1 on our 3345 but there are several good ones. On turning the 3345 will turn shorter than any of the tow bars can accommodate at standard length tow bar mount. If you will add an extension to go in the receiver it will help a lot but can still bind on extended lock to lock turning. All JMHO
Old 11-28-2020, 04:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Shortly after getting our 2018 3343 (60 degree wheel cut) we got badly rerouted by construction and had to make a U-turn. (In hindsight, of course we should have unhooked, but the area didn’t feel safe and the issue of turning too short wasn’t on my mind.)

Our toad hit our coach but fortunately the damage was cosmetic. (I just waited until i hit a pedestal with the same corner a few months later then got both repaired at once - half the cost for each repair!) Since then I use a drop hitch with a slight drop, which also serves as an extension, and I’m very careful in tight turns. The point of the story is that it definitely can happen.
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:06 AM   #12

I had a Roadmaster Sterling on a previous 32' MH.
Went with Blue Ox on our current VTDP 3433.
No problem w tight turns but I'm cautious. One caution is to never start turning MH before moving fwd. It's not only the puch point of toad & MH but you put a large side load on toad if the initial movement & forces are sideways and the toad wheels aren't pointed that way.
If I had it to do over I'd go Roadmaster vs BO.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, tow