Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New Aire Transfer Switch with Surge Protector

I have a 2019 New Aire. Do I need to get any other surge protector for the RV?
It comes with a Automatic Transfer Switch with Surge Protector. Do I need one at the Source also?
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #2

Typically and this only from reading several posts on this site, the built in Surge Protector only works once. If you have a problem, it saves your electrical system but the surge protector component give us and you won't have any power to your coach. I actually removed the surge protector transfer switch and installed a Progressive Industries hard wired surge protector. It's mounted in the electrical bay and the 50 amp cord attaches to it then from the Progressive to the transfer switch. I also have an extra Progressive surge protector that somehow magically showed up at my home.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The same surge protector in my Alpine is being used in the new Ventana and assumed in upper line as well. It works more than once, it's designed to block bad power, which does not take it out, unless over 50amps is coming in on one leg, or an open natural and very high current. If you have Silverleaf system, you can see if the power at the pedestal is "qualified" before you proceed to do other arrival steps, and we always did that. S/L worked through the front TV set as well as the dash display, but the TV display shows more stuff. Not sure how I'm going to know power is approved in the new one. Could make up a check device, but if the pedestal looks skanky before I plug in, most likely will just change sites.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi toneil7163,
Consider calling Newmar and determining if the:
1. surge protector is for one time only or can one reset it?
2. if one time only does it cut power to the coach or is there a bypass mode
3. if one can reset it, how is this done?
4. Does Newmar recommend a second surge protection unit and what brand?

For me, I'd get a second unit (brand of your choice). Install it at the line cord. It will take longer for the coach to get power (2 check cycles). If a unit goes south it will be the one on the line cord. If this happens don't be too quick to remove the damaged unit and reconnect to power. You will need to do some checking to determine why the unit was hit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Friend stopped in park near Palm Springs, when he called me, and I drove over, you could hear the park transformer from a block away. His surge guard would not let in park power. We checked the power in, and it was fine, no open grounds, nothing. I told him to contact the office and get a new spot, the transformer was putting out bad spikey power, he did and everything was fine in his new spot. He tried at least 20 times to get it to work, these unit are good for multiple times, the actual power is sensed by them and blocked, they don't control the power, the transfer switch part does. Here is link to videos on YT see what is recommended. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=surge+guard+
Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #6

Surge protector = one time use. HIGH surge SPIKE only

EMS = Electric management system. Multiple uses. Hi low voltage protection, Automatic on/off. Notes miss wired connections.

Two different pieces of equipment. About $200.00 difference in price. Surge Guard is a patented company name. Surge arrester is a generic piece of equipment name.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
What is model number for the surge protector in Ventana for 2019 if anyone knows, want to find manuals, etc. Thank you inn advance.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Found out, Transfer Switch w/Surge Guard is an option on the Ventana model. The New Aire and other possibly have it as standard. So unless you ordered it as an option (I did) then you may not have one. Now that is according to the 2019 Ventana Brochure. Based on quick research it's most likely Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50-unit with Electrical Management System or the EMS-HW50-protection only. The above poster is correct, if the unit detects a surge, part of the circuits are damaged, and need to be replaced. Based on pictures it does not seem to be a major deal to field repair this. The company says it can be done, but, I think I would just replace the unit, and send in the old one to be fixed, and keep as a spare.

Here is link to Progressive Industries - That was what was in mine before - seems like in pictures or Ventana's this is what I see.

https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...ting-resources

There is a remote control panel for this thing, it's another 100 and change, and Newmar may include this and it's in the overhead bin with all the other various controls.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
To answer OP question, yes, he can add one at the pedestal, it would then protect the built in one. His call.

They units built in (if progressive Industries) can be field repaired. There are some other little LCD screens in the overhead bin, where all the controls are for stuff on Ventana's, so not sure what brand is included, the picture of the bay is also not clear enough to determine.

Tags
air, switch, transfer switch