Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

New Aire vs Dutch Star

We are interested in opinions relative to the advantage/disadvantage of the New Aire 35xx versus the Dutch Star 37xx or 40xx relative to build, ride, list of accessories, etc.

We are planning on going to NIRVC in Las Vegas next month hopefully to be able to walk thru units and discuss features with the sales staff.

Thanks for your assistance with our research

Alan/Kathy
RAWKDW10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #2

With a 40' Dutchstar you will get a tag axle.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #3

From what I seen, the New Aire looks and feels more luxurious to me

Zzotte
Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Might talk to someone who has had a TAG, then went to a coach without.
TAG = stability.
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #5

I can only comment on my 2020 Dutch Star 3717. I think it rides great, build quality seems excellent with only one tile that popped up 1/8” on the floor of the wall slide as the only build issue that requires repair thus far. The only other issue I’ve had so far is the dreaded Lippert window issue. I’ll get those fixed in the spring along with the tile and any other punch list items that show up.
Tilzbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #6

I owned a 2018 New Aire. It has a few features that the Dutch Star does not.
The shades in the DS are operated by a remote...the NA has multiplex locations to operate the shades...much more convenient.
The finish on the DS is very good to excellent. The NA is excellent.
Storage on the NA is excellent....exterior storage is equal to our better than the DS. But for overall livability the DS is spacious and comfortable.
Drive wise our 2021 4369 is superior to the NA.
If you dry camp in State and National Parks a lot than the NA would be right.
Otherwise the DS is a great choice.
Charlievette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWKDW10 View Post
We are interested in opinions relative to the advantage/disadvantage of the New Aire 35xx versus the Dutch Star 37xx or 40xx relative to build, ride, list of accessories, etc.

We are planning on going to NIRVC in Las Vegas next month hopefully to be able to walk thru units and discuss features with the sales staff.

Thanks for your assistance with our research

Alan/Kathy

We had a 40 foot Ventana that we just recently traded in for a 37 foot Dutch Star. We loved the Ventana (our very first Class A), but we absolutely love our Dutch Star. The Ventana, with he Tag axle, was a joy to drive, but so is the Dutch Star. It is different not having the tag, but the Dutch Star is still very stable and does well in cross winds and big rigs passing. Just not as good as the Tag Class A. The shorter length is easier to turn and I would not pass up the shorter length because it doesn’t have the tag axle.
chipmulgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:24 PM   #8

Actually, the 40' with a tag, will turn sharper than many shorter coaches. Think how short the wheelbase is on a 40' tag. Yet it handles like a 43'-45' coach on the highway.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
Actually, the 40' with a tag, will turn sharper than many shorter coaches. Think how short the wheelbase is on a 40' tag. Yet it handles like a 43'-45' coach on the highway.
That may be true when compared to other manufacturers, but a Newmar 40' has a wheelbase of 252", a 37 DS is 242" and the Newaire comes in 206 and 226". There is no way possible for a 40 with tag to turn inside a Newaire or 37 DS. I'm sure the tag adds stability on the road, but to be honest, our 37 with Active Air drives so easy, its almost boring...
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #10

Not that much difference in turning ability with a 21' wheelbase. I can make a u-turn on a 2 lane highway shoulder to shoulder. The tag also adds a lot more breaking power, not to mention carrying capacity. The tag also delivers a much smother ride on rough roads. Most people who have had a tag axle coach would never go back to a 2 axle.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #11

When you lift the tag axle the wb changes and it turns super tight. Even if you cannot lift the tag if there is a switch to dump the tag air bags you get the same effect.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
When you lift the tag axle the wb changes and it turns super tight. Even if you cannot lift the tag if there is a switch to dump the tag air bags you get the same effect.
Really? I didn't know that. Physics dictates a shorter wheelbase, with the same maximum steering angle, will result in tighter turning radius. Take the tag away, lift it, cut it off with a torch, the results are still a longer wherlbase which equates to a larger turning radius. I know some with a tag will defend it to the death, and I can appreciate the added weight capacity it provides, but some here (myself included) prefer the easier manuverability and choice of more campsites that a shorter coach provides.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #13

Sorry but you are incorrect. I back into my driveway of a narrow country road. Euthe tag down it takes multiple pull ups and the front wheels are almost in the opposite ditch. Lift the tag and in one move I am done. Same with maneuvering campground roads. This has been discussed in many forums and an sae engineer explained it with measurements and thrust angles. I am not an engineer but know how to drive.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Really? I didn't know that. Physics dictates a shorter wheelbase, with the same maximum steering angle, will result in tighter turning radius. Take the tag away, lift it, cut it off with a torch, the results are still a longer wherlbase which equates to a larger turning radius.
Tag axles are aft of the drive axle. So the key measurement is front axle to drive axle.

Let's say you have a 2 axle coach with a 250" wheelbase.

Compare it to a 3 axle coach with the overall wheelbase at 275" but the front to drive axle wheelbase being 240".

When you lift or release the tag on coach #2, it has a tighter turning radius than coach #1, because it's wheelbase is 10" less.

(all numbers being completely fabricated and not representative of existing chasses ;-) )
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, dutch star