Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

New and Looking

Hello
We are new to this forum. My wife and I have been full timing for the better part of 3 years now in a 5th wheel, and now are ready to step it up a bit... We've sold the 5th wheel and our research on motor homes has led us to Newmar...

Since we don't have unlimited funds, we will be looking for a pre-owned unit... We intend to tow a Ford F-150 which I don't have yet... I need to unload my F-350 DRW first...

Since the F-150 weighs under 5000 lbs I would guess just about any Newmar would tow it...

We started out looking for a 36-40 foot unit but I now believe something with a tag axle would be a safer unit to tow with and to drive cross country...

We would like to stay under $200,000 but are prepared to go as high as $250,000 for the right unit... To buy from a private owner is preferable so we wouldn't have to pay sales tax...

Any information from Newmar owners would be appreciated...

Joe and Diana
Gunk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gunk2,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. If you consider only Newmar diesel pushers and a model year of 2005 or newer, the towing capability is 10K or more. Check the receiver capability for any coach you are interested in. You can go to http://www.newmarcorp.com/resources/brochures-archive/ to find a brochure of the coach you are interested in. Floor plan makes the coach. When you find something that interests you, post here and we can advise accordingly.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #3

Joe, check out the Ventana. I have a "14 4037 model. It has the tag, comfort steer, towing should be no problem, and the 40' length is quite easy to maneuver. PM me if you would like to talk about it more!
dave
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Hi Dave

I really appreciate your knowledge on the Ventana... I would really be interested in knowing what differences there are between the Ventana and Dutch Star besides price... I believe the HP is a little less... Not sure how much that would make a difference when towing a F-150...

Comfort and safety items since we are full time is really important to us... Options? Storage room? Awnings? Tires? Whatever you can share will be helpful and appreciated...

Only thing we know for sure at this point is that we want a Newmar...

Thanks again

Joe & Diana
Gunk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #5

Gunk2,
Welcome to the forum. Lots of excellant information here in the forum. Like Gary said get the layout that turns you on the most. IMHO you can't go wrong with Newmar. In my understanding the newer Dutch Stars probably have more amenities and fancier "finish", materiels, etc, than the Ventana. Check out the brochures for each, they should outline any differences.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 2002 DSDP had a 6,000# hitch limit. But Spartan said it could be uprated to 10,000#'s by just installing the heavier hitch. Never did it because we were OK with the 6,000# one.
However, legally, only Newmar can change the hitch ratings.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk2 View Post
Hello

We are new to this forum. My wife and I have been full timing for the better part of 3 years now in a 5th wheel, and now are ready to step it up a bit... We've sold the 5th wheel and our research on motor homes has led us to Newmar...

Since we don't have unlimited funds, we will be looking for a pre-owned unit... We intend to tow a Ford F-150 which I don't have yet... I need to unload my F-350 DRW first...

Since the F-150 weighs under 5000 lbs I would guess just about any Newmar would tow it...

We started out looking for a 36-40 foot unit but I now believe something with a tag axle would be a safer unit to tow with and to drive cross country...

We would like to stay under $200,000 but are prepared to go as high as $250,000 for the right unit... To buy from a private owner is preferable so we wouldn't have to pay sales tax...

Any information from Newmar owners would be appreciated...

Joe and Diana

We have a 2015 Ventana 4037. It is a 40' with a TAG, which you won't find with any other manufacturer. The 40' length gives all the advantages of a TAG while allowing access to the smaller sites of a 40' vs 43-45'. Tows 10,000lbs. With the TAG and comfort steer, it drives like a dream. The equivalent Dutch Star is the 4018.

The key differences between a VT and DS are 400 vs 450 HP, same torque. Rear vs side radiator. Independent front suspension on DS. Availability of heated floors on DS. Newmar branded Full Wall Slide with carpeting on VT vs HWH full wall slide with all tile flooring on DS (2016 and above). Conventional automatic awnings on VT vs Integrated exterior awnings on DS. Just about everything else on the DS can be added to the VT as an option.

For us, we found a fully optioned, all electric Ventana to offer all we needed for about 60k less. The DS is certainly a nice coach but I feel an optioned out VT is a better deal.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Find the unit with the floor plan you like and work from there.

You make no mention of the size of the 5er. From most accounts you will find you will have less space if you were in a 40' 5er and are moving to a 40' coach. Storage will be less.

As well a tag axle will eliminate a storage bin.

Bath and a half as well as all electric is a bonus IMO.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
There are a number of differences in the Ventana and the Dutch Star.
We looked at the Ventana and DS, decided on DS.
DS has more hp, side radiator and body paint in the slide walls for a more finished look.
I THINK there was a difference in the wall slide.
I am sure there are others but they had me at side radiator.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
There are a number of differences in the Ventana and the Dutch Star.
We looked at the Ventana and DS, decided on DS.
DS has more hp, side radiator and body paint in the slide walls for a more finished look.
I THINK there was a difference in the wall slide.
I am sure there are others but they had me at side radiator.

Only on the 2016 and above is there a difference in the FWS, as mentioned in my previous post. 2015 and below, they are the same design. You are correct about the paint. I forgot that the side of the slides carry the graphics across on the DS. Minor, irrelevant difference IHMO there.

OP was interested in used, so the slide difference is mute. 2016 and above, I probably would consider the DS over the VT, if the price differential was similar.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
By the law of depreciation the price on a used DS should be closer to a Ventana by the rate of depreciation
Old 03-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #12

The best thing about these forums, is you get info from a variety of sources. Its all good, and helps you to decide. New vs Used, Length, HP, and most importantly the interior layout. Not sure where you live, but talking to owners and asking questions helped me to decide on the Newmar product. Also, if you live near Nappannee... I sugest a trip to visit the factory for a tour.
New is a great way to go, but remember you will have issues.
Used can be a great deal also, as most likely the issues have been taken care of.
I have towed with a dolly, and now with a trailer, 400hp is plenty.
Storage is adequate, I have the extra freezer, so I lost one compartment, but its great to be able to grab a cold one without having to go back inside!
The standard awning is good, I always retract is for winds and rain. The heat buildup on a hot sunny day means the AC units work hard. Get a windshield shade to help prevent that. Carry extra sewer hose, some camp grounds did not lay out the pipe location properly, and you may need an extra long hose. I have the two couch option, and really like it, as we can accommodate extra company for a sleep over.
Like Newmar Pusher mentioned, the difference in price of the Ventana and DS is something to think about.
Hope this helps!
dave
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Only on the 2016 and above is there a difference in the FWS, as mentioned in my previous post. 2015 and below, they are the same design. You are correct about the paint. I forgot that the side of the slides carry the graphics across on the DS. Minor, irrelevant difference IHMO there.

OP was interested in used, so the slide difference is mute. 2016 and above, I probably would consider the DS over the VT, if the price differential was similar.

Has the Ventana always had a rear radiator and the DS a side or is that something new?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Is there much noticeable different between an independent front suspension and a solid front axel such as that on the VT? Being soon new RVers, we haven't experienced either. Would love to hear anyone's experiences with both.
JohnRL is offline   Reply With Quote