Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

New Bay Star Owner questions

Hello,

We finally have our 2017 3401 on the road. Very impressed and pleased so far, but we have a couple of small issues we could use help on.

First, when the gray tank sensor goes from 2/3 to full, does that mean we still have 20 gallons to go before it is full? (60 gallon gray tank).

While moving, the entry door seems to squeak quite a bit, is there something that can be done to minimize it?

Also, it is very hot (90+) and we are using the A/Cs quite a bit. We have two zones, during the day we set it at about 73 and the units seem to run almost all the time, and the thermostat will say the inside temperature is 82 or more even though our indoor thermometer will colder than 73. At night, it seems that we have to turn it down to get the temperature we want. What is going on with the sensors?

thank you
dnhxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #2

I've found when it initially goes from 2/3 to full you have some room but not nearly that much and you should seriously consider dumping.

The door is going to squeak some but try locking the deadbolt which is a good idea regardless.

The AC is going to run a lot during the day if the outside temp is high and parked in the sun. These things are poorly insulated and have plenty of places for cool are to escape.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #3

dnhxx-

Congratulations on the new coach!

The "standard" E-1/3-2/3-FULL LED indicator system with the contact sensors in the grey and black water tanks can be notoriously unreliable, even on new coaches.

The misread usually gets worse as the coach ages, as the contact probes get fouled. Readings are also subject to the shape of the tanks, whether it distorts when full, where the installer located the contact probes, and how level the coach is front to rear and side to side.

As an example, my coach's grey water tank indicator reads 1/3 full at 2 gallons, 2/3 at 8 gallons, and full at 30 gallons, even though it can hold over 50 gallons. NOTE: The tank is clean, and the system adjusted per manufacturer's specs.

If you have such a system (and you may not; there are better systems out there), then the way you'll know approximately how much tank capacity remains at each level is to put in water (using a meter, or from the fresh water tank via the water pump), and watching the indicator lights. You're running your own calibration, in essence.

Hopefully your coach comes with a better system. If not, you can buy and install one.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #4

We have a Ventana with the same issues.

I have learned to use the sensor readings as an estimate. I have filled the water until full then five minutes later, with no water usage and sitting still, it reads 2/3.

We have a slight door squeak unless we really slam it to the point where the deadbolt will engage.

The A/C is kinda just an estimate like the tanks. I think it takes the temps from the wall sensors which will vary depending on sun exposure etc. I just live with it.

Do you have auto gen start? I had to adjust my start temp because of the inconsistencies between the thermostat reading and reality.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello - welcome to the RV world and Newmar.

You have a great motor home, it will bring you much enjoyment and memories.

Grey tank - - when it reads 2/3s - time to empty or you may get some water at ankle depth in the shower by not emptying the tank.

Squeaky door - Our Canyon Star had the same issue. Seems to be common-place with Newmar. At a warranty service call at the factory I listed it as a warranty item. The door was adjusted - - and of course just out of site of the factory - the squeak started again. I have found that an occasional spray of silicone on the latching bar does wonders. I use spray silicone on a lot of things in the motor home.......get a can and keep it in your basement took chest.

A/Cs - it takes some time to get the hang of what works and what does not with motor home A/Cs. I have come to envy motor homes with 3 units. Here is what I have learned over the couple years we haver been RVing........

The back end is easier to cool than the front end. Reason is less windows more insulated wall. The front end you have the windshield, passenger and drivers window.....all letting in that beautiful warm sun. I call it the Green-House effect! Our Canyon Star has as I am sure your's does the black shades. They work great at keeping light out and snooping eyes from peeking in the dark - - but - - the sun heats them up. Now you have a warm - almost hot item in an area you want to cool.......

So what I am saying, it may not be the thermistors sensors in your motor home - - the AC units are doing their best to keep up on a hot/humid day.

Here is something we learned along the way......

First of, with a 2 AC motor home - - I don't believe the inside will get much cooler than perhaps 10 or 15 degrees colder than out side (if that). So if it 95° outside - it will probably never reach 73° inside.

So we do this - I set the rear AC at say 72° and the front at 78° on a 90+° day. The back AC will cool the rear and will send air through you ducts in the front, thus helping the front to stay cooler. On extremely hot and humid days, the units will run constantly during daylight hours.We can hang meat in the bedroom!!

We have a 1500m unit on the front and a 13.5m on the back and I haven't seen much different than when I had 2 13.5m units on my old DP - - basically the same size motor home.

If you want to try and help your AC units - you may consider ordering Magna Shades https://magneshade.com. Expensive but if they keep you more comfortable?? We have ordered a set and waiting for delivery now...... There are other outside shade options for your motor home as well and a lot of discussion here on iRV2. I have read Magnashades have kept the inside up to 20° cooler.......hmmm - we'll see.

Hope this info helps a little or give you more food for thought........

Take care,

g
Old 07-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Do you have auto gen start? I had to adjust my start temp because of the inconsistencies between the thermostat reading and reality.
Hello RMD3819,

We are having AGS installed on our Canyon Star.

Maybe a little overkill but it is for our pup - - we are not full timers but do spend a third our our year living in the motor home during the winter. We want to be able to leave the motor home with the dog inside and not have to worry about power outages in the Florida sun.

You speak about adjusting the start temp.........because of inconsistencies.........oh my!!!!

Just when I thought I had it figured out - I have so much to learn......LOL

g
Old 07-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Hello RMD3819,

We are having AGS installed on our Canyon Star.

Maybe a little overkill but it is for our pup - - we are not full timers but do spend a third our our year living in the motor home during the winter. We want to be able to leave the motor home with the dog inside and not have to worry about power outages in the Florida sun.

You speak about adjusting the start temp.........because of inconsistencies.........oh my!!!!

Just when I thought I had it figured out - I have so much to learn......LOL

g
Mine was set at 80 but found that the wall sensor would read 80 and start the AGS even if the A/C was already on and running. I set it to 85 and that cured it.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #8

I have a Bay Star Sport. Entry door, we close it with a solid pull and then we lock the locks. That took of the noises. On AC temp, locate your sensors. Mine are mounted on the underside of the cabinets. Forward is overhead cabinet over the coach. Rear is on the cabinet wall, under the TV area. They are thermistors with a plastic cover. Sunlight, and outside temps have an impact. Tank sensors, you might go look at the water levels in the Fresh and grey tanks, you can see it through the plastic tank and you can see the sensors, on my 2015, those sensors are on the outside of the tank - so they aren't impacted by debris, dirt in the tank water. Looking at the levels vs the sensors gives you a better idea of what's left.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
The AC is going to run a lot during the day if the outside temp is high and parked in the sun. These things are poorly insulated and have plenty of places for cool are to escape.
The OP's Newmar should be pretty well insulated, maybe not as well as the '02 DSDP we had (dual pane windows and polar pack insulation, optional in 2002)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote