Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #1

New Bay Star Questions - Refrigerator, Leveling Jacks and TV Resolution

We took delivery of our new 2021 Bay Star 3626 on Saturday and are now camping. Very happy with our new coach. We previously had a 2015 Bay Star Sport 3309. We really enjoyed our 3309. I have a few questions that I thought I would ask this community. Before those questions, I thought I would share the things we really like (and glad we ordered):
- Custom paint
- Captains chairs (furniture is actually comfortable)
- Free standing dinning table (my wife is using this for sewing and it is perfect)
- Residential refrigerator (great to have the space and it come to temperature much faster than the traditional RV units)
- Kitchen counter space with the flush stove and sink covers
- Convection oven - big space and it works great
- Tile floor throughout including the bedroom
- Pantry with pull out drawers
- Ride is much better (bigger chassis, tires) and it is much quieter in the cabin (unless you are going up or down hills)
- Side swing cargo doors
- King sleep number bed - a major improvement
- Larger TV and it is directly across from the captains chairs (also like the larger TV in the bedroom)
- More living space with the 4 slides

Questions for the community:

Refrigerator: We opted for the residential refrigerator which is a Whirlpool (my wife is very happy with the increased space). When we return home - how do we shut it off (the user manual doesn’t provide instruction fo that)? I assume when parked we should shut this down - I will be on shore power at home so I could keep it running.

TV Resolution: I opted for the satellite dish from the factory and I have it running with my DirectTV receiver. I am surprised at the low resolution on the TVs (certainly not 1080, seems to be defaulted to 480). I tried setting options on the receiver and at one point the TV showed the resolution wasn’t compatible and that I should check the device. I see that Newmar runs some sort of CAT cable and coverts it to HDMI at the TV. Am I stuck with low resolution TV?

Leveling jacks: We have noticed that we off left to right a bit after automatic leveling (we have had 2 campsites so far and it is the same in both cases). I didn’t have this issue with my prior coach. I know I can manually change it, but wonder why the leveling system is off calibration. Is there a way to fix that?

Quality seems very good so far. I have had two issues - slide would not retract while at the dealer (we spent the night there). They swapped the controller with a new one. Hoping it continues to work. I also had a water leak at the back of the Truma hot water heater (one of the line connectors was not tight - simple fix).
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I think turning a residential refer off and on is a bad idea. We park our coach(es) at home and over 12 years and three coaches with residential refers, we've never turned them off. We also use the MH refer to store food for parties and use the freezer for extra storage.

I have the Winegard Traveler antenna and DirecTV. When I fire it up, it goes to 1080p on the box and we get a great picture. I don't think it can be done, but are you running an old SD box with the HD sat. We use, I believe, an HR24 receiver, which can record two channels at a time. If you're running an appropriate HD receiver, there must be a setting that is incorrect.

On the Dutch Star, there is a box in one of the basement bays, attached to the ceiling, that is the adjustment for the jacks. I'm not sure what jacks the gassers use. The adjustment on mine is to level the coach then adjust the box, a group of lights.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Personally, I think turning a residential refer off and on is a bad idea. We park our coach(es) at home and over 12 years and three coaches with residential refers, we've never turned them off. We also use the MH refer to store food for parties and use the freezer for extra storage.

I have the Winegard Traveler antenna and DirecTV. When I fire it up, it goes to 1080p on the box and we get a great picture. I don't think it can be done, but are you running an old SD box with the HD sat. We use, I believe, an HR24 receiver, which can record two channels at a time. If you're running an appropriate HD receiver, there must be a setting that is incorrect.

On the Dutch Star, there is a box in one of the basement bays, attached to the ceiling, that is the adjustment for the jacks. I'm not sure what jacks the gassers use. The adjustment on mine is to level the coach then adjust the box, a group of lights.

Thank you - I have an HD box, will explore the settings further. I think we will also keep the refrigerator running. I appreciate the info.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would call Winegard and have them walk you through the setup, there may be some issues with the initial settings. They can probably diagnose your issue. They're very good about custom service and walking you through diagnostics.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #5

Aero, congratulations on your new Baystar. Glad to hear things are going well so far and it surely sounds like you picked a LOT of great options!

On the refrigerator, I cannot answer how to turn it off other than unplugging it if there is no on/off function switch. If you cannot reach the plug, check to see if there is a dedicated breaker for it in the electrical panel. I can advise that you won't hurt it by turning it off and on. That is from everything I've read on the topic and from my brother-in-law who owned an appliance dealership with multiple locations for 60 years and was one of the repair guys. If you think about it, your compressor is turning off and on all the time during normal operation! But, if you have the question, I'm sure that Whirlpool's customer service could answer your question if your owner's manual doesn't cover it.

Personally, if I'm going to leave my coach sit for more than a week between trips, I turn the refrig off (mine has a switch). If we're going out the next weekend again, then I leave it on because we also leave certain items like drinks, butter, etc. in it rather than unloading and reloading. When off, we leave the doors ajar to let air circulate inside.

Your Leveling Jack owner's manual will have a procedure to reset to level....at least every motorhome I've had did, including the Baystar we owned with the electric jacks. The electric jack system we had on our Baystar had a different procedure than the HWH hydraulic jack system that DS Don mentions and which I've had on all three of my DP motorhomes.

Hope you have many happy years in your new Baystar. We had ours for eight years...the longest we ever owned any one RV. Great units.

Tags
bay star, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, refrigerator