Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2020, 09:19 AM   #15

Thanks, I will take a look at the plug, but since the batteries do run for a few minutes...they must be plugged in. I just think they are all or some are bad. Still in quarantine so won't be able to get them checked until next Friday. In the meantime the RV is doing just fine sitting in the drive way. Truck battery is fine and a different type, so not too worried about that one. Thanks all again. JP
JP308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
“I have found that the plug in the right front storage compartment that charges the batteries will come out now and then due to things in the storage area hitting it. I was out dry camping once and none of my batteries would charge on the generator. The plug came out. FYI.”
The same thing happened to me. When I reinstalled the plug it was very loose so I replaced the receptacle per 007’s suggestion.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #17

My 2019 3124 came with 4x 12V Interstate batts too. If you've got the Whirlpool conventional frig, watch out for that plastic latch that's supposed to keep the doors locked. On right turns, stuff on the shelves can slide against the door and pop it open, throwing almost all of the frig's contents on the floor. I check it every time I stop but still hold my breath anytime I go around a right-handed curve on the highway.
mvintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #18

Bay Star 3226

We purchased a brand new Bay Star 3226 Exactly a year ago and we have loved everything about it. It was our very first motorhome and we wouldn’t change a thing. We store it with 30 amp service and we have never had an issue with our batteries. I would get them replaced and store plugged in, if possible and then reassess whether or not you want to upgrade. You will find lots of things that you want to change more than likely with suspension and adding tire pressure monitoring. Happy Traveling!
Old 07-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #19

One more question. Can I run the RV for about 30-40 minutes as I take it from my home to another location for storing (for the next couple of weeks) with the house batteries removed? Is there something I need to turn off in the battery compartment or the coach so that there isn't a charge heading to the where the batteries are not. I am getting out of quarantine at the end of the week, so need to take the batteries to get checked...so compartment will be empty? JP
Old 07-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP308 View Post
One more question. Can I run the RV for about 30-40 minutes as I take it from my home to another location for storing (for the next couple of weeks) with the house batteries removed? Is there something I need to turn off in the battery compartment or the coach so that there isn't a charge heading to the where the batteries are not. I am getting out of quarantine at the end of the week, so need to take the batteries to get checked...so compartment will be empty? JP
You can just tape up the positive cable ends so they don't touch ground.

Nothing else would be needed to be done.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #21

OK, thanks. I zip tied through the holes so that everything stayed as is. Will now tape them up with electrical tape so that nothing touches ground. JP
Old 07-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"JP308"......For some reason, Newmar has a lot of issues with their gas motor homes and batteries. I've read this same story dozens of times with the Bay Star and Canyon Star having dead/bad batteries upon delivery.

Lithium batteries are overkill for most RVer's, but if they have to replace your batteries, I would pay the difference for AGM. By installing AGM, you're pretty much done forever with battery maintenance and issues. No more adding water.

I don't know what inverter/charger they're using on the Bay Star, but most brands are typically adjustable, especially the Magnum inverter. Once you repair/replace the batteries, you need to set up the inverter/charger. It can be a little complicated if you aren't familiar with the charging numbers and some terms. If it's a Magnum unit, you can stand in front of the unit, call Magnum, and they'll walk you through the set up for your coach and battery type. Then you'll know it's set up and charging correctly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #23

+1 on what Dutch Star Don says. When we 1st picked up our 3113 we ended up with 2 dead house batteries. Had them replaced under warranty. I added this EZ fill kit on mine (always was a pain getting to the back 2 batteries and this makes keeping them full a cinch).

When not in use, I throw the house batteries on a 5A Battery Tender and the Coach battery on a separate 2A Battery Tender. No issues since the initial in 2017. Everyone has a preferred method.

Even have a friend with a 5er that never did a thing with his batteries when he took the trailer to storage. His lasted 9 years (plain old wet cell InterStates). Now me, that is just not my luck and has never been my experience with batteries.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #24

Thanks for the tip on the ez fill kit. I may just look into that. Will also look at battery tenders as we will only be using the Coach a few times a year until I retire again. Thanks, JP
Old 07-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP308 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the ez fill kit. I may just look into that. Will also look at battery tenders as we will only be using the Coach a few times a year until I retire again. Thanks, JP
X2 on the flow rite e z fill. Even with your batteries front and center under the hood it’s worth having. Checking/filling the batteries is literally a five minute thing every few months. You don’t even have to get your hands dirty. The Interstate flooded batteries are excellent, cheap and long lived. On sale you can replace them both for the price af an AGM and they’ll last just as long if you keep them full and charged. If keeping it plugged in and using a charger is awkward and you store outdoors it’s easy and not very expensive to add a small solar panel and keep both house and chassis batteries charged with no effort on your part. I just installed an 80W Renogy panel and it’s way more than my three batteries need. At least during the long sunny days of summer. I might add a second panel before the short gray days of winter.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #26

I've had my 2019 CS for 2 years now and the batteries all work just fine. (6) Interstate 6 volt GC batteries. Sounds like I just got lucky. I think my motorhome was only on the lot for a couple of days when we bought it. Maybe the dealer didn't have time to mess 'em up.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #27

Just a quick update. All 4 batteries had failed cells...so were replaced. I paid for the 4 new batteries and will be compensated by Camping World, so very happy with that. Will put them back in the coach over the week-end and will then know whether everything is working as is. JP
Old 08-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #28

Update- Got the new batteries installed and working. Drove back home over the week-end and the batteries kept the fridge working for the entire trip (13 hrs) so I guess everything is good. RV is now stored for the next couple of months. Now I just need to get a new foot for my leveling jack that seems to have disapeared.