Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #1

New BayStar 3124 and a few questions

Hi All, just bought my first new unit. A Newmar Baystar 3124. Everything checked out great during our pre purchase inspection...but obviously I did not look close enough. (Igniter on the stove would not ignite the stove top, and the lock on the freezer would not catch...both fixed before taking delivery). However after we got to where we wanted to get, neither inverter is doing what it is supposed to do...well let me clarify...the batteries last about 10 minutes running the coach and the fridge (electric only). I checked the coach batteries (there are 4 x 6 volt) and they all needed some water. Filled them up with water...but I am guessing they are DOA....all 4....is that normal? Its a 2020 and of course was plugged in when I checked them...but they will not hold a charge at all. So I am guessing that all 4 need to be replaced....and I am guessing this will be under warranty. Now the big question...are there better 6 volt batteries that I should be looking for, or just take the replacements and keep there water levels up? My storage facility has a 30 amp plugin...does plugging it in, keep everything better while in storage...or does that really matter. Everything else in the coach is working as expected and I am really happy with the fit and finish...in fact very pleased. Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.
JP308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #2

Better batteries would be lithium, but they won't spring for them. $1000 per battery.

The batteries may be shot, let them test them but it could be a charging issue too.

Its tough to kill 6 volt batteries in that short a time, unless they froze while discharged.

Once the battery issue is worked out, leaving it plugged in is fine. That will keep the batteries topped off.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #3

Thanks, I am going to leave it plugged in for a while at my CDN home while I am in quarantine and see if they charge up and keep a charge. Am I also correct in thinking they will charge while the generator is running? Oh and one last thing. One of the foot pads on the leveling jacks is missing. I noticed that the first time I went to use them. I never heard anything drop off during the drive and to be honest I don't remember looking for them when I took delivery. I know all 4 were on when I looked at the unit at Camping World though. Are they easy enough to replace? Haven't really crawled under the coach to look at them in detail yet. Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #4

If your new coach - which is one of my very favorite models! - happened to spend more than a few weeks in inventory the batteries likely were neglected and quite possibly were damaged. Maybe terminally. My new 2019 Bay Star Sport had been on the lot for nearly a year. We got a great price but both house and the chassis battery failed on our first trip. One of them rather catastrophically! Interstate (house battery brand) refused to warranty them because they were more than a year old. I was on the road so I replaced them myself. When we got home I contacted Newmar and they promptly and courteously reimbursed me. I think really it should have come from the dealer but I didn’t complain. Get them load tested and ask your dealer to replace them if they’re bum! Enjoy your new coach. We came close to buying the same model but couldn’t pass up the deal on the BSS 3008.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #5

New BayStar 3124 and a few questions

Double check your batteries, my 2019 came with four 12v Interstate batteries.

I store my rig at home and it’s plugged into a 30amp outlet to keep everything charged and ready to go. I check the water levels monthly and usually need to add a bit each time.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #6

Baystar 3124

FYI: We bought a brand new 2017 Baystar 3124 custom ordered and the 4 four 12V interstate batteries were completely useless in a week. We warranty replaced them and they went for about a year. We then replaced them with 4 6V AGM Lifelines and have been extremely happy the last 18 months. We ordered our unit with a propane refrigerator and then installed a Tr-metric battery monitoring system and they have worked flawlessly since. The 6V batteries would be my suggestion.
REVJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:19 AM   #7

I have ac2016 Baystar. It came with 2
InterState 12V. They lasted about 3 years. But my coach draws 3 amps just sitting. Would barely make it through the night. I finally replaced with 2 6volts. They last about 30 hours and still have over 50% charge. Luckily I have a 30 amp plug put in when I had a trailer. So it's plugged in next to my house all the time. If I had to store of site I would have to add a solar system.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #8

Thanks all for the advice. I found a local place who will be able to test the batteries. Once I find out what condition the batteries are in, I will make my next move. We are also getting a strong Sulphur smell as well when the generator is on, or when plugged in, so Newmar tells me that the batteries are overcharging....so perhaps the fault lies elsewhere. Perhaps I am not using the inverter correctly...but then that appears simple enough. Either way I will get it resolved once I am out of quarantine.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP308 View Post
Thanks all for the advice. I found a local place who will be able to test the batteries. Once I find out what condition the batteries are in, I will make my next move. We are also getting a strong Sulphur smell as well when the generator is on, or when plugged in, so Newmar tells me that the batteries are overcharging....so perhaps the fault lies elsewhere. Perhaps I am not using the inverter correctly...but then that appears simple enough. Either way I will get it resolved once I am out of quarantine.
When my neglected batteries failed I believe there was an internal short between a couple of cells. The voltage dropped to about 8 at the battery and was only 11.5 when plugged in at the pedestal. I believe the converter was doing its best to get the voltage back up and was dumping huge amounts of current into a failed battery. I got not just a strong sulfur smell but eventually white smoke and the battery got so hot that it started to melt some of the insulation on one of the cables. I think you’ve got a bad battery and I’d quit trying to charge it until you know. Mine was dangerously close to catastrophe when we caught it. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #10

Since you already have 6 volt batteries, I would consider replacing them with the same number of AGM batteries. They don't require checking fluid levels.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #11

Actually I now know the batteries to be Interstate 24SRM 12 volt batteries. As soon as I am out of quarantine I will be having them tested. They have a 12 month replacement warranty, so hopefully the issue is one or more of the batteries and all will be well in about 10 days. Thanks again for the advice. JP
Old 07-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
This thread has many answers for you and possible battery problems, glad you now found you have 12v batteries like everyone else.
Dealers do not keep coach's plugged in even 110 volts so they may charge up for you.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels when you do.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #13

I bought a slightly used 2017 Baystar Sport that was still under warranty. I had a few issues covered under warranty through various dealers. Eventually, I included a trip to Napannee in my travels to get them addressed once and for all by the manufacturer. It was one of my better decisions. You will work out these minor issues. We love our Baystar.
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP308 View Post
Actually I now know the batteries to be Interstate 24SRM 12 volt batteries. As soon as I am out of quarantine I will be having them tested. They have a 12 month replacement warranty, so hopefully the issue is one or more of the batteries and all will be well in about 10 days. Thanks again for the advice. JP
If you do a search on this subject you may run across my comments about our 2019 3124. The house batteries (2 Interstate 12 volts) quit charging at about 9 months of ownership. Newmar told me that the maintenance of the batteries prior to sale is a dealership issue and referred me back to Holland RV in Palm Desert, CA. Dealership finally agreed to pay for one replacement battery. I used the $125 toward two new 6 volt AGMs. Later replaced the original Ford chassis battery with an AGM. Some on the forum have also said that when buying new, just tell the dealership to replace the batteries since they are terribly abused prior to the sale. Oh yes, Interstate Battery would not warranty anything because the date on the batteries were over one year out.

You mentioned your inverter and your refrigerator being electric. So your refrigerator does not run off propane at all? I have found that the plug in the right front storage compartment that charges the batteries will come out now and then due to things in the storage area hitting it. I was out dry camping once and none of my batteries would charge on the generator. The plug came out. FYI.