Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #1

New Bus trying to catch Dutch Star

Just read on a Tiffin forum where the new 22 Allegro Bus will have a full wall slide on the driver side with a flat floor and no carpet. It will also have a rear emergency door. Sounds kind of like my 19 DS.
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:37 AM   #2

I met a couple a few weeks ago when I went to visit a Prevost friend passing through that was staying at a nearby RV Park. The couple had just took delivery of a '22 Tiffin Zephyr with a full wall slide, emergency door and it was equipped with the large Volta system.

Gett'n all fancy now!

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #3

Tiffin should take caution going to hard at full wall slides. Every time the subject of FWS comes up on the forum half of the posts are folks that won't buy one
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We love our full wall slide and carpet less floors! I have had far fewer slide issues with my Newmar, than I had with my 2014 Allegro Bus.

After repeated slide issues and failures, I swore I would never own another motorhome with the Schwintek system that Tiffin still uses on their bedroom slides.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	332630
Here is the new Tiffin floor plan.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:09 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In the past, it's been Newmar who is typically behind Tiffin and playing catch up. Tiffin had the sidewall facades first, the Spyder system and a few other big items.

I think they play off of each other and if something is popular they add it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Tiffin uses HWH in their large slides. Only the small bedroom slides have Schwintek. Proper deployment/retraction procedures resulted in zero issues for me with either mfr.

That said, I wish Tiffin wouldn't tile (assuming that's what's meant by the OP's comment "no carpet") such a large slide. While some owners of tile'd large slides report no problems, I'm still of the opinion that no matter how beefy the gearing/motors are they just can't handle a FWS w/tile in it. One wonky retraction also yields cracked/broken tiles. Last, my Phaeton slides had furniture/cabinetry on top of the carpet. What's the point of having nice tile when 90% of it is covered up?!
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It is a lot of extra weight and Newmar had issues with the slide being unable to handle the weight in the first year or so they offered it. With that said, on my floorplan, under the dinette, recliner and quite a bit of the bedroom floor is tile on the FWS. The only downside, Newmar doesn't install floor heat under the FWS tile. Stepping on that floor on a cold morning will get your attention.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Tiffin uses HWH in their large slides. Only the small bedroom slides have Schwintek. Proper deployment/retraction procedures resulted in zero issues for me with either mfr.

That said, I wish Tiffin wouldn't tile (assuming that's what's meant by the OP's comment "no carpet") such a large slide. While some owners of tile'd large slides report no problems, I'm still of the opinion that no matter how beefy the gearing/motors are they just can't handle a FWS w/tile in it. One wonky retraction also yields cracked/broken tiles. Last, my Phaeton slides had furniture/cabinetry on top of the carpet. What's the point of having nice tile when 90% of it is covered up?!

I understood the proper Schwintek procedure and still had multiple bedroom slide failures. 3 under warranty, and 1 that cost me $700 to repair. Tiffin did go to the lower geared Schwintek motors and that helped, but my friend in service is still fixing them to this day. Tiffin knows its an issue, and they tried to switch the bedroom slides to hydraulic like the front back in 2018?, but ran into too many problems and stayed with the Schwintek.

As far as tile goes, my 2014 Allegro Bus 45LP had 4 cracked tiles in the 7 years I owned it. None so far in 2 years on my DS4369.

My only point is that they ALL have issues of some sort, some minor, some major, so get what you want. All I can say is that my wife refuses to even consider an Entegra or Tiffin when she walks in and sees the carpeting in front of the kitchen counters, the fridge, and under the table. We live in ours 5 months a year, and carpeting is a non-starter for her now!
Old 06-18-2021, 06:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It is a lot of extra weight and Newmar had issues with the slide being unable to handle the weight in the first year or so they offered it. With that said, on my floorplan, under the dinette, recliner and quite a bit of the bedroom floor is tile on the FWS. The only downside, Newmar doesn't install floor heat under the FWS tile. Stepping on that floor on a cold morning will get your attention.

I am sure you know Don that they added floor heat to the tile on the bedroom slide for 2020, and the engine hatch cover in the bathroom floor in 2021, others might not know though. Still no heat under our dinette though!
Old 06-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
The 2016 & 2017s definitely had some FWS weight issues. Not only the tile but with the Fridge on the slide floor as well, I know of at least a couple folks with bowed floors in their FWS. One 2017 owner I know just had floor re-enforcement completed at Nappanee. I suspect that also might be why they went from a 22 cubic foot Maytag fridge in my year, to a smaller 19.x CF whirlpool in 16 or 17.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #12

Tiffin has to do more than FWS to keep their business alive. I have/had been a Tiffin owner, still own a 2018 bus but ordered a 2022 DS. They are having cabinets fall off walls, sinks exploding, walls moving and so many problems. people are having 150 item punch lists on the 2021 units. I never had slide issues on mine, but windshield felt out twice, issues with floor heat, fireplace never did work properly. I know my DS will have some issues, but I am hope it for it not to spend 4 months in a service bay for the first year.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:

Isnít floor heat active on the full wall slide in the bedroom? I think it is.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Folks, We have a 2021 Allegro Bus 45OPP and have put several thousand miles on it . We are used to several pages of repair items in the first year with other brands( Monaco and Newmar). This coach has less than 6 small cosmetic items for repair. Tiffin has been great with customer service and questions answered when we call and not having to wait on a return call several days later. Coach has great road manors and all systems work as designed. Several times I have spoken to the Chassis Manager -Gary Harris, about what our coach weighed when it left the factory and within 2 minutes I had a screen shot of the entire build sheets for the coach with final weights with full fuel. So much storage that we have empty cabinets above and empty power slide out trays below. Newmar makes a great coach, Entegra also, but you might want to look at specs on a Allegro Bus and compare. Happy Tiffin Customer
greeneville1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, dutch star