Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #15

I agree the new Ford chassis is a great improvement over the older models, it is still a gas unit with restrictions on towing. Manual states 5000lb max tow capacity.

The V10 is great motor, but a high rev'r on steep grades. You are sitting directly above the motor and when in the 4k+ rpm's, can be a bit noisey. It is a slight inconvenience as it will shift up in a short time. At this point we have not pulled anything other than small trailers, but do plan on a toad in the not to distant future. We run at around 62mph and the engine stays at 2k or a little less. 8-9 mpg so far.

The inverter on our 3920 will run all coach tv's (3) and audio accessories. We did just add 2 140 watt solar panels to keeps coach batts ready to go.

Having a toy hauler will take away a little cabinet storage. That has not been a problem for us as this is our 5th hauler and we are used to the limited space. There is an ample amount of storage in the chassis compartments and my next few hours of free time will be installing a TV in the outside compartment. Newmar pre-wires it.

The aux gas tank is separate from the chassis tank and holds 30 gallons. Pefect for holding premium for our bikes.

Wheel chocks were not included but can be easily added. The ramp has a non- skid surface and works great for our MX bikes but I would suggest you roll a HD up to make sure it would work. I have seen another 3920 owner that uses an aluminum ramp laid on the ramp to lessen the incline.

We had no problem with our dealer or Newmar with changes to stock floorplan. Our build took approx. 8 weeks. We really love the changes we made on our coach.

Next week we head to Moab for 2 weeks, so the 3920 will get the full test. We are very happy with our 3920!

Jay
Vet618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #16

Jay,
Thanks for your input about the 3920, we took the plunge and purchased the 2012' we have been looking at for a while. We made the purchase today but will not take delivery for a couple of weeks.

We looked at many options but kept coming back to the 3920, it seems to have the best setup for our needs, will give updates after we pick it up. This is our our first MH so we have a lot to learn but looking forward to getting it out on the road.

Chris
NJ5N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet618 View Post
We ordered the coach and had Newmar change a few things for our needs. Replaced the dinnete with a combo desk/pullout dinette, added an additional cabinet in the garage with washer dryer prep which I will be using with a basin sink, solar prep and sat. prep and a kitchen window for the DW.
That's one of the reasons we went with Newmar. We had somehting over $35,000 (2002 $$'s) in special order/options on ours. Walls removed, doors removed, substituted countertops, storage bay refer/freezer, U-Line ice maker, etc.
Another reason was that we belonged to a private RV club, only had twelve MH's and six of them were Newmars and one Prevost. My parents had a Foretravel so we looked for quality too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #18

vet618, looking forward to your post MOAB comments. I am new to this forum and all things RV, but the 3920 seems to fit my family as others have mentioned. (3 kids and friends at times) Curious of spacing with "slides in" My kids like to go back and forth and double bunks in the back are the selling point for me. Quads when i go hunting and kids bunk room when family travels. Also...is the V-10 enough? Seems like all gassers use this engine from 30' to this 39'. Seems like the bigger coaches would struggle more with the cargo and toad and 39' box to boot?
This forum is great. Thanks in advance.

Brian
LoneStarTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum Brian & irv2.
As post #15 says the new Ford chassis is a plus by Ford compared to the older truck chassis use few years ago.
The V-10's I had never had problems and the new one is mounted lower on chassis to cut down the noise plus better dog house insulation.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
I added 3 Mitsubishi 255 Watt panels to the roof of my 2012 Bay Star 2901. The Weingard Traveler had to be moved to the front from the middle of the roof where it hoged the space needed for 3 65" x 40" panels. Mounts were obtained from www.prosolar.com and made for a neat array that is mounted so no shadows fall on the panels from anything else on the roof. It is sturdy and provides good air flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	21563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01110.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	21564  

2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
I added 3 Mitsubishi 255 Watt panels to the roof of my 2012 Bay Star 2901. The Weingard Traveler had to be moved to the front from the middle of the roof where it hoged the space needed for 3 65" x 40" panels. Mounts were obtained from www.prosolar.com and made for a neat array that is mounted so no shadows fall on the panels from anything else on the roof. It is sturdy and provides good air flow.

don t ya worry about an up draft ripping the panels off when going down the highway and createing a leak what size inverter do ya have still the 600w or did ya apgrade that too and do ya think the 600w is enough for the average mh user. going luisville in june for the rv show hope to get more info on all this stuff looking forward to this new life stile
gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #22

how many hose batteirys do ya have
gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
CBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarTex View Post
vet618, looking forward to your post MOAB comments. I am new to this forum and all things RV, but the 3920 seems to fit my family as others have mentioned. (3 kids and friends at times) Curious of spacing with "slides in" My kids like to go back and forth and double bunks in the back are the selling point for me. Quads when i go hunting and kids bunk room when family travels. Also...is the V-10 enough? Seems like all gassers use this engine from 30' to this 39'. Seems like the bigger coaches would struggle more with the cargo and toad and 39' box to boot?
This forum is great. Thanks in advance.

Brian
When the slides are in, you have less than a foot to get by the front slide into the bedroom. Adults will have to turn sideways, but you can get by. Recent model years (2010 and later, I think) the bathroom has a pocket door - so you can still get in the bathroom when the slide is in.

The rear bedroom slide will bring the mattress all the way across the room until it touches the drawers. You have to climb over the bed to access the garage or the rear slide latch when the slide is in.

I have taken the V10 over mountain passes, with full water, fuel, and about 1200 pounds of stuff in the garage - seems to handle it OK. As another poster mentioned, it's noisy over 4k rpm, but that seems to be the third downshift...not needed that often. I haven't had to tow anything yet, because everything I need fits in the garage. As I had hoped, I can leave the cargo trailer at home.

I also found going downhill that the cruise control will also downshift and use engine braking to maintain speed, a nice feature. Maybe those of you with Ford chassis are used to this, but my old Workhorse didn't do that. It's a nice feature in the mountains.
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gramps66,

The panel mounting system is screwed into the 1"x 1" aluminum rafters at the top of the roof. Newmar's 16" on center spacing makes for a sturdy setup. The system is used on house roofs too and can take high winds. I tend to stay at 60 MPH and enjoy relaxed driving.

I have 4 Lifeline GPL-L16T 6 volt batteries for 800 AH of house battery power and use a Magnum MS2812 inverter/charger for AC power and Outback gear for the solar controller. Given a choice between a free RV resort space or camping in the woods I will take the woods unless it is time to empty the holding tanks.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #25

Joe - What a great set up. Where is a good place(web sites) to buy solar products for RV use? Or are you better served buying solar products that are not spcific to rv use (ie home systems) and then adding to your rig? I see alot of "kits" that combine all you need. Sounds like you grabbed different pieces from didfferent places? Also, is this the amount of solar power your recommend for extended boondocking?
Again, great set up
Brian
LoneStarTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
LoneStarTex,

I went to www.partsonsale.com and learned what would make a good system and then ordered 3 Mitsubishi panels from them. From what was in the deluxe kits I figured what I wanted and searched the web for suppliers and the prices. The list of parts and prices was given to Temecula Valley RV to assemble and install the system. I thought that this way if I paid premium prices I would at least get premium hardware. Comparing different specs led me to the Outback choice for solar controller and associated hardware. The Magnum MS2812 choice was necessitated because the Newmar 50 Amp. system needed an Inverter/Charger with 2 hot legs (L1 & L2) and the Outback inverters lacked that feature. I did not want to pay a high price and then have the installer cut corners and fatten their profits by sneaking in cheaper and/or inferior parts at my expense. I felt that the solar kits included cheaper parts that would maximize the profit margin at my expense.

I expect that the 765 Watts of solar power through the high efficiency Outback FLEXmax 60 charger/controller will be able to fully recharge the approx. 400 AHs I may use each day when the sun shines brightly. Around noon time on sunny days I have seen 57 AMPs going to the RV battery banks. On other days the generator and Magnum's 125 AMPs of battery charging power will make up any deficit. The RV uses about 50 AHs during a 24 hour period to just keep up with the phantom loads etc. That leaves 350 AHs for coffee maker, microwave, ice maker, TV, computer use, music, lighting, recharging camera batteries, etc.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ5N
Jay,
Thanks for your input about the 3920, we took the plunge and purchased the 2012' we have been looking at for a while. We made the purchase today but will not take delivery for a couple of weeks.

We looked at many options but kept coming back to the 3920, it seems to have the best setup for our needs, will give updates after we pick it up. This is our our first MH so we have a lot to learn but looking forward to getting it out on the road.

Chris

Name:	image-2836216740.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	479.7 KB
ID:	21915

Picked up the 3920 this past weekend, spent the first night camped to try things out. Everything worked out well and we had good time.

Name:	image-3362470821.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	21914

Dining area

Name:	image-2421034472.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	21916

Garage

Name:	image-368736154.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	21913

The garage with my Harley

We rode the Harley to pick up the MH and when I went to load the Harley I found the ramp very steep, going up was ok but backing down was challenging. We lowered the front jacks and picked the front end up making the ramp not quiet as steep which improved things but still steep. I am not sure if I will have to do something to improve the angle of the ramp, but for now I will just make sure to park to give me a good angle and use the front jacks

I did struggle with getting the AC set properly, it was in the mid 90s when I got to the camp site. We have 3 AC units one in the garage, one in the bedroom and one in living room. I turned on the living and bedroom units, they are controlled from one thermostat using two zones. I am not sure I understand how these two units work when they are both turned on, it did not seem that both could run the compressor at the same time. I will call the dealer this week to go over the AC operation again.

We had a great time and our looking forward to a longer trip.

Chris
NJ5N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congrats Chris many happy miles and have fun.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote