RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
CBQ

New Canyon Star 3920 Toy Hauler Group

Posted this in the New Rig forum so I won't duplicate it here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f58/2012-...ml#post1138213

but I wanted to say thanks to everyone in this forum. I have been lurking and reading here before making my purchase decision and learned a lot.

Newmar seems to be living up to it's reputation so far. The dealer did a detailed prep and found only minor 1 defect. (HWH pump missing an o-ring that caused a small leak.) I found nothing at the PDI, and I have it at home now to go through in more detail. Haven't found anything wrong yet. Impressed with the ride and the build quality so far.

CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congrats again enjoy and welcome to the forum & irv2.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

I also have been looking at this coach, any update on how it is working for you?

Thanks,
Chris
NJ5N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #4

Canyon Star 3920

We also have A new 2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3920 which is now about a month old. Just had it's maiden weekend voyage this last weekend. Other than the police chase through the campground, the rain for 2 solid days, the tornado sirens going off in the town the campground is in and the first windshield rock chip on the way there, all went well! haha

We have found the Newmar an excellent unit. We have added a Winegard Travl'r, vent covers and have solar enroute. We ordered the coach and had Newmar change a few things for our needs. Replaced the dinnete with a combo desk/pullout dinette, added an additional cabinet in the garage with washer dryer prep which I will be using with a basin sink, solar prep and sat. prep and a kitchen window for the DW.

If you have anything specific, just let us know and we will do our best to provide the the information.
Vet618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #5

Thanks very much for the feedback Vet618 sounds like quiet a trip. I have never owned a MH so this is all new to me, my wife and I enjoy traveling on our motorcycle and thought the toyhauler would be fun. We saw the 3920 at a show in Dallas earlier this year and the layout seemed to fit us well, as I would have a garage for the Harley or whatever. I have been told by friends that I should buy a diesel and pull a trailer or get a lift, but i like the idea not pulling anything, and just lowering the ramp for the Harley.
The 2012 unit we were looking at is not setup for washer and dryer, I wonder where the cabinet was added in the garage? I know nothing about the solar prep, was that something done at the factory?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome both NJ5N & Vet618 to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Congrats on your new coach Vet618 many happy and safe miles for you.
The Newmar Dealer build sheets when you order a coach will have additional info for additions you may want and with the costs for them NJ5N.
You can also see standards & options in the brochures for the CS3920..
The Toy Haulers have been quite popular.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #7

The additional rear cabinet was added to the opposite side of the pass through door to the bedroom. We did not have the rear TV added as we deleted the rear beds because we wanted additional height in the garage. We offroad and carry a Yamaha Rhino side by side and it was to tall to have the beds and it is just the two of us. DW uses the garage for a screened in porch when I am on the track.

I also race MX and carry a small road bike with us for running errands.

We truly love the hauler application and also prefer not to have a trailer tagging along. This is our 5th toy hauler, but first class A.

We had Newmar prewire for solar panels which means they have wiring pulled from the roof to the control cabinet over the coach entrance door and from there to the coach batteries. We are adding 2-140 watt panels with a 30 amp controller to provide power with the inverter system. Allows us to boondock (no hookups) for several days.

Jay
Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #8

We had Newmar prewire for solar panels which means they have wiring pulled from the roof to the control cabinet over the coach entrance door and from there to the coach batteries. We are adding 2-140 watt panels with a 30 amp controller to provide power with the inverter system. Allows us to boondock (no hookups) for several days.

Jay[/QUOTE]

Excellent! We also have boondocked over 30 days using a Honda 2000 Genny to charge up our AGM batteries once a day(seldom use the 8KW-as we are usually in cool weater with no need for AC).
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet618 View Post

Jay
Jay, make sure the prewire is sufficient gauge for both the runs from the panels to the controller and controller to batteries. For example, for 30A from controller to batteries NEC would only require 10AWG (for 120VAC in NM style cable) but you'd get 9.8% drop over a 15' run, obviously unacceptable. Most people put the controller within 3' of the batteries and use 4AWG wire, giving a voltage drop of only 0.5%.

Here's a voltage drop calculator that can help you:

Voltage Drop Calculator - for single and 3 phase ac systems and dc systems
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #10

Thanks for all the feedback, after reading your email and I checked the sticker for the coach we were looking at and it too has the solar prep so now I know what that means. Also talked to the dealer about changes for 2013 and there are some, they added six inches to the overall length. The additional six inches is all in the living area, not sure you would ever notice it if you were to have a 12 & 13 sitting side by side. I think there were some changes in the radio with an Ipod input etc. but overall not much.
What kind of cost are you looking at when adding the solar panels and is that something you plan to do yourself?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #11

I am inthe electronics industry and will be doing my own install. The panels, controller and brackets are running just over 600.00 with shipping. I will have to get creative with panel placement as the Winegard Trav'lr sat. has a fairly ambitious footprint.

I found the info. on the living area additional 6" interesting. I am tight with my use of the garage and I am speculating they pulled the 6" from there. If so, the 2012 would and is better for us. I don't think you can go wrong either way. We did take additional time to determine exactly what options and changes we wanted as this is the first coach we factory ordered. We are very glad we did that.

Newmar sent me pictures of the 2013 a couple of weeks ago. Saw some subtle changes in photos and new paint colors. I know you will enjoy a Canyon Star!

Luv2go;
Appreciate the chart. Once panels arrive and I can bench spec them, we can determine drop with prep wire and acceptability or option for new runs. Composition and purity of copper in wire can also have a distinct effect on quality of charge. Since I did not buy certified panels I will definitely try to optimize the install. I am shooting for 12-14 amps in direct midday sunlight.

Jay
Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #12

I may have said it incorrectly they did not take the six inches away from an area the coach is six inches longer as I understand it.

Ok on the solar and installing it yourself, I would struggle more with how to mount than I would with the electrical part, thanks for the pricing info I had no idea. Hopefully you can update the post after the install with your results.

Chris
Old 04-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats ands enjoy your new Newmar
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #14

interested in the 3920

interested in the newmar 3920. new to the mh way of life. my wife and i both ride harleys ( fullsize) and would like to put them inside. some friends say just get a trailer and a deseil mh. but we also want to pull small car. wondering will the ford v10 be able to handle the weight of some water, propane, bikes, car, food, tools,dishes, and personel stuff ya no every day living stuff. we want to travel while were still able. there was one post about rear ramp too steep ?? any worries?? chocks in garage or not? talked to a few dealers about concerns and get different answers from each. is a 600 watt inverter enough?? how about engine noise while accelereating heard from someone very loud!!!! i liked the idea of desk/table with chairs, like in another canyonstar but was told no even on special order. even tho they did not have one in stock. does the fuel station come from main tank or does it have its own and if so how many gallons? and how about tow bar or tow dolley pros and cons to both? i no when i get done ill think of more. ill just wait and see what ya come back with. thanks

We have found the Newmar an excellent unit. We have added a Winegard Travl'r, vent covers and have solar enroute. We ordered the coach and had Newmar change a few things for our needs. Replaced the dinnete with a combo desk/pullout dinette, added an additional cabinet in the garage with washer dryer prep which I will be using with a basin sink, solar prep and sat. prep and a kitchen window for the DW.

If you have anything specific, just let us know and we will do our best to provide the the information.[/QUOTE]

gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote