Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question New coach - air conditioner smells

Only have this coach about 2 months, 1 trip, on 2nd trip now. When I enter the coach after walking the dog I notice a smell. I believe it is from the front A/C. Any ideas what the cause is and how to eliminate the odor? I doubt it's mildew, it's too new, and filters are all new and clean. Something just smells but cannot describe it.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If the A/C is ducted, you might have moisture or mold in the ducts. I'd drop the return grid on the ceiling and look at the evaporator coil and make sure water is draining properly from it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It's not even cooling that well today and it's not that hot out. About 90'ish. Air flow isn't that great either but I don't have a reference as to what to expect. Back A/C does great.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
A thermometer like this is always in my RV. I use it to take intake and exhaust temperatures of the A/C units. Measuring the actual difference can tell a lot. If you tnink air flow and cooling is reduced, again take the inside return grid off the A/C and check the evaporator coil for icing up. Most A/C units have a sensor attached on the evaporator to control icing up. If the sensor is dislodged or not in the proper location, it might be all your problems. Look up your A/C make and model on Google and find a manual that shows the proper location for the sensor if your A/C is so equipped.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #5

Hi Neal, with ours we still have the "new smell". Sometimes pretty strong. I think it's all that plastic up front that overwhelms you when you walk in.

Are you using auto setting on thermostat? I was told at PDI not to set to auto, but set to cool on each zone.

Otherwise, hope trip is going ok.
Tom
Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #6

Low flow and odd smell could mean it's freezing up. Is the smell sorta like a old freezer or fridge?
Old 08-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It is on cool, not auto, although I wish my house had auto, I love how it can change between cool and heat automatically. I needed that when at Newmar last June as it was hot in the day and cold in the morning. But yes, it's on cool.

I don't know what the smell smells like, hard to describe, but it's a bit pungent I guess. I hope it just clears after more hours on the unit. I did not have magne shades on or internal shades down today, it's 84 here wherever I am It's been running for several hours, I don't see anything looking like icing but not sure where to look. I turned the t-stat down for the bedroom to let it help, I had it raised just to keep it from running and the sliding door 3/4 of the way closed.

It's like my house even, never strong enough A/C, I don't know why they design A/C systems to barely cool vs. strongly cool and run less time. The flow out of the back unit is very strong but it's one vent vs. the two vents on the front unit.

It's been working well up until today, again, maybe not having shades down made it work harder than other times.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #8

New coach - air conditioner smells

We bought an ozone generator for the 'new coach' smell that was driving my wife to headaches. Works wonders!

New Comfort Commercial 4000mg O3 Air Purifier Ozone Generator Model HE-500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CF4OMP8..._ZaqGzbH4EBVDX
Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #9

We were getting an odor as well, I guess I would call it a chemical smell. Turns out it was the freon leaking and ultimately the unit ran but didn't cool. It was a Dometic Penguin II and was still covered by warranty. These are sealed units so the whole unit needs replaced. Took the MH to local RV shop and they handled everything. No out of pocket cost for me. Good luck.
conlar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When our coach was new we had various chemical smells. The fiberglass smell got worse when it was sunny. We would try to keep the windows open when we could. There is also a formaldehyde odor warning label in the cabinet above our kitchen sink. I also think we had odors from the epoxy grout from our tile floor and the adhesives in the walls. It all went away after a few months of use.

Paul
2017 Dutch Star 4018
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm just going to be patient. Leathers, woods, chemicals, so much needs to just breathe and air out. I don't want to overreact but don't mind asking questions here. I don't want to become a MH hypochondriac
Old 08-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The interesting thing of note is...in the mornings when the A/C doesn't run and I take out the dog, when coming back into the coach I do not have the smell. It's only when the front A/C runs do I smell it. I guess I should call and inquire with Newmar.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not saying that there isn't something wrong with the air conditioner, but the front of the coach is not insulated well with all the glass. The front of our coach is warm especially when the sun is shining on the front. We just installed the Magne Shades and it helps a lot.

Paul
2017 Dutch Star 4018
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:44 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Try putting your fan setting on High. It will continue to run even when the compressor shuts off. If at doesn't solve the smell after a while go to WalMart and buy some car interior scent in a spray bottle and shoot some in the intake vent with the fan on high. I just had to replace my rear A/C back in April and had the same thing. I took the cover off and removed the cover on the fan and evaporator. Sprayed it down with Lysol with a lemon scent. That did the trick for me. I know what your smelling and it is hard to describe. Good luck.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner, smell